Chivas Reverting to Old Logo

kid_17

So a few months (maybe a year) ago Chivas (the Mexican version) modernized their old crest, made it a bit more printer friendly by eliminating some of the jumble that all those tiny details tends to create. There was a great uproar from fans, the media and most of the country it seems and it looks like now they're going back to the old crest.

So to summarize, this was the old logo which is the basis for Chivas USA's crest and has been brought back:

Logo-Chivas-2.gif

This was the short lived modernized crest:

brand.gif

And this is a side by side comparison of both as patches on jerseys:

logo-chivas.jpg

Does anybody remember an instance of this sort of thing happening in other sports? the Islanders fisherman and a slew of 90's cartoon logos come to mind as does the whole Tropicana debacle of last year. I know that right now its in vogue to go back to vintage crests (see the Pistons) but I dont consider this sort of thing to be equal to the Chivas situation.

As for the modernized crest, I liked it but then again its hard to change something so old and so established. The backlash was to be expected.

14ilxq9.png

One that comes to mind for me is the Redskins.

They went with the logo with the feather that wrapped around the bottom, then switched back.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Can't they just adopt both? Don't many sports teams have various versions of their logos that are used for simplicity in printing, etc? Take the new Super Bowl 45 logo, for example. I've seen at least 3-4 different versions, with each one being used for different reasons.

:censored: i was coming to post this and well here's the topic

as a "Chivas" fan ( the offical name's Club Deportivo Guadalajara) i'm so happy i almost cry xD

This change is a result of the hole fanbase ( the second largest in america) claims B)

34z0jli.jpg

The whole thing is actually much more complicated. About seven years ago the team's current owner took over by buying enough shares for a majority, upon doing this he turned the team into a privately held company as opposed to a public one. He did this in the name of taking back a team which had been abused and disrespected for years by the owner of their most hated rival (Televisa, owners of Club America). So he took the team back in hopes of getting its back to its glory by asserting its independence and listening to the fans and so on.

In 2006 the team won the championship but this has been followed by failures up until this tournament. Prior to this tournament the logo change was made and since the fans weren't happy with the new ownership they saw the new logo as an unwelcome changed, as if the new owner was getting rid of their team and replacing it with his own. Even with the fantastic start to this tourney the backlash remained and now we see the official change. This also comes after a few weeks ago a Mexican court found that the new owner had obtained the team illegally and could not officially use the Chivas name.

I don't really have a horse in this race as I don't particularly care for this team. The new owner has been successful in asserting independence but he has failed in winning titles (only one in seven or eight years and keep in mind there are two championships per year in Mexico). He has also expanded the Chivas brand to the U.S via Chivas USA, to Europe and even to China. He's been good for the brand but the brand has undoubtedly been good to him ($$$$). If the new logo felt like an unwelcome era and he wants to reassure the fans that its still their team then its a good move but lets also keep in mind that trying to control the brand in Mexico, a place full of piracy and corruption where there has been a lack of any enforcement of any copyright laws, is impossible. The new logo could have been protected much more easily had it been kept long enough to be accepted.

14ilxq9.png

Can't they just adopt both? Don't many sports teams have various versions of their logos that are used for simplicity in printing, etc? Take the new Super Bowl 45 logo, for example. I've seen at least 3-4 different versions, with each one being used for different reasons.

Generally, those are designed at the same time, or at least to compliment each other. These don't seem to work that way.

At the very least you wouldn't put your simple-repro version on the shirt, you'd put the "real thing."

I bet no one would have even taken notice if they had left the shield blue & gold, and left the green dot in there.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I'm not a soccer (football) fan that much if at all, but I have to say that the original crest was 100 times better than the updated one. As far as the jerseys posted, I'm sorry as guy I could never wear the name "Bimbo" on a jersey, let alone across my chest. And yes, I understand it's a bakery, but there's just a part of me that says, no matter how much they paid me, I'd never want to be called or associated with anything called, "Bimbo".

I'm not a soccer (football) fan that much if at all, but I have to say that the original crest was 100 times better than the updated one. As far as the jerseys posted, I'm sorry as guy I could never wear the name "Bimbo" on a jersey, let alone across my chest. And yes, I understand it's a bakery, but there's just a part of me that says, no matter how much they paid me, I'd never want to be called or associated with anything called, "Bimbo".

PSSSSST. WORDS MEAN DIFFERENT THINGS IN DIFFERENT LANGUAGES.

In Spanish, the ONLY bimbo is the bread company.

Does anybody remember an instance of this sort of thing happening in other sports?

Michigan State didn't even get a chance to unveil its new logo.

Angry Spartans - Brand New

I almost forgot about Coventry City, they had a pretty simple new crest ready to go but due to the fans hating it, CCFC decided against going through with it.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived