Giants/Jets new endzones

xxvnyg80

Yeah, that's what the Eagles have too. It depends on the quality of the grounds crew, the number of events the stadium holds, and of course the local climate. I didn't know that GB had it too - I think the Eagles should try to sign some of their groundskeepers as free agents.

I dont think the Eagles keep their grass well maintained at all, and it especially dosent help when Temple plays the day before the Eagles have a home game...

andysoccer12a.png

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your field gets tons of use and/or you don't have the means to acquire/properly maintain a quality sod, turf is a good option. I'd gladly take a top of the line grass surface over an artificial one any day, though. First, any doctor will tell you that the less grip a surface has, the healthier it is for your joints, which is why they prefer grass to turf.

When you reach the limit of grip on grass, normally the force will blow out a divot, thus relieving the pressure on the joint and sending you falling to the earth. With turf, there a much higher instance of the cleat sticking in the surface and keeping that force on your joints. Sometimes it is the wearing of incorrect footwear (long cleats) that causes this, sometimes it is the fault of the surface itself.

In addition, the rubber infill gets extremely hot, making these types of artificial surfaces unbearable in the summertime. Imagine how hot your leather car seat gets in the summer, then imagine playing football on it. You can feel the heat through your shoes. I can't imagine any artificial surface being very clean, either. There's not really anywhere for all the germs to go, especially an indoor surface with no drainage system.

Agreed on all accounts. I know I said something similar earlier but the heat issue is also an overlooked aspect. The heat on the field can be insane and your feet and cleats literally burn. It feels like you're standing on hot blacktop.

Not to mention it smells like burnt rubber from those ground up rubber granules they use as "dirt".

I prefer grass to turf but I'd take a poorly-maintained turf field over a poorly-maintained grass field. I've been on "grass" fields with more dirt patches than grass, with rocks and debris scattered everywhere - it's like playing on gravel. During rainy seasons grass fields that aren't taken care of turn to mud. citrus bowl in orlando look on another bowl game and the florida state championships before the capital one bowl, by then the field was gone.

Capital+One+Bowl+Penn+State+v+LSU+qb8dluAHsgHl.jpg

Maintainence shouldn't be an issue for NFL venues where they sink so much money into everything, but I know of many high schools and colleges that are making the switch because while it costs to make the switch it is cheaper, maintenance-wise, in the long run.

Maybe this is common knowledge around here, but with the two teams playing in the same place, does the NFL have a plan for if both teams are slated to host their respective conference title game?

They actually had a plan for this a couple of years ago when it looked like there was a small chance of it happening; one game would have been played on Sunday, the other probably on Monday night.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2008/11/59096484/1

Maybe this is common knowledge around here, but with the two teams playing in the same place, does the NFL have a plan for if both teams are slated to host their respective conference title game?

Either one team would play in the morning and another in the evening, or they'd play on different days.

Of course, there's what? A 1/16th chance that would even happen, right?

You can't do it in the morning and at night on the same day because of logistics. With 80,000 people coming and going before 80,000 more could come would be a logistical nightmare...and with tailgating and everything that goes on at an NFL game it's just not possible.

It's not a mid-week split doubleheader between the Mets and Padres we're talking about here...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Nostalgia aside, I'm shocked that the Bears still have a natural grass surface. They need to do something about it. Each year by November the field looks like 30,000 Elephants just ran a sprint from endzone to endzone 40 times over. Just terrible. I honestly don't care one bit whether a field is grass or field turf, what I hate is the really terrible looking fake $h!t.

there will never be a synthetic surface put in soldier field.

Pardon me for asking, but since you responded so absolutely do you care to reveal the source for your claim?

I find it hard to believe that they will NEVER put a synthetic surface especially if the field keeps getting completely wrecked every year and injuries start to mount.

Nostalgia aside, I'm shocked that the Bears still have a natural grass surface. They need to do something about it. Each year by November the field looks like 30,000 Elephants just ran a sprint from endzone to endzone 40 times over. Just terrible. I honestly don't care one bit whether a field is grass or field turf, what I hate is the really terrible looking fake $h!t.

there will never be a synthetic surface put in soldier field.

Pardon me for asking, but since you responded so absolutely do you care to reveal the source for your claim?

I find it hard to believe that they will NEVER put a synthetic surface especially if the field keeps getting completely wrecked every year and injuries start to mount.

soldier field had artificial turf in the 1970s - late 1980s.

482908-image_large.jpeg

thats not grass payton is running on.

Concern over injuries will cause them to switch to a surface associated with an increase in ACL injuries?

:blink:

Concern over injuries will cause them to switch to a surface associated with an increase in ACL injuries?

I'm sure that all things being equal a turf field does have a higher injury rate than a pristine grass field. A poorly maintained, turn up muddy grass field though? I would bet that field has a higher injury rate then a turf field.

Where is this research? Unless I'm missing a link I've never seen Field Turf associated with an increase in knee injuries. I know when my college team installed it, injuries dropped significantly the that season. Small sample size I know...

I'm not saying you're wrong, I just haven't seen research one way or the other. I've only experienced both actually playing football and although grass is better when perfectly manicured, turf is so much better than even average grass.

Where is this research? Unless I'm missing a link I've never seen Field Turf associated with an increase in knee injuries. I know when my college team installed it, injuries dropped significantly the that season. Small sample size I know...

I'm not saying you're wrong, I just haven't seen research one way or the other. I've only experienced both actually playing football and although grass is better when perfectly manicured, turf is so much better than even average grass.

this.

to my knowledge, it seems that most Field Turf type surfaces decrease injuries that are associated with totally ripped up natural surfaces.

• 3 weeks later...

I won't say never, but the Park District really doesn't want fake grass, and it's their call, not the Bears'.

A bump.

Chicago Park District Talks to Bears Over Turf Issues

From the story:

Bears President Ted Phillips recently met with Chicago Park District general superintendent Tim Mitchell about the possibility of converting the field from grass to an artificial surface, but there are no plans to do so this year.

The Park District was interested in changing the surface ? despite a busy summer schedule at the stadium that includes five concerts ? but the Bears indicated they aren't.

One of the complicating factors is the Bears still are awaiting results of a league study on injuries incurred on infill playing surfaces. They are concerned because preliminary findings have suggested lower leg injuries occur at a higher rate on infill.

Interesting.

Back to the Meadowlands Stadium design, interesting details have recently surfaced:

The new stadium's overall look represents a win for the Jets. The Giants had pushed for a traditional brick structure with luxury suites stacked on one side that would cost about $800 million. Mr. Johnson's design team preferred a sleek, modern $1 billion structure with luxury boxes circling the stadium and exclusive restaurants and clubs on every side.

From earlier in the thread, the research comes courtesy of the NFL.

The NFL's Injury and Safety Panel presented a study today finding that anterior cruciate ligament injuries happened 88 percent more often in games played on FieldTurf than in games played on grass
The panel also found that sprained ankles happen more frequently on FieldTurf

FieldTurf is associated with with an increase in sprained ankles and ACL injuries. If I was running an NFL team, I wouldn't install it until more research had been done (and not by FieldTurf).

Deserving to see a real game is why they shouldn't have to watch everyone freeze their asses off and slip around on the turf. Playing in a frigid pile of slop is all well and good for a meaningless Bears game on some idle November afternoon, but a neutral-site championship game shouldn't be compromised by pesky elements.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Deserving to see a real game is why they shouldn't have to watch everyone freeze their asses off and slip around on the turf. Playing in a frigid pile of slop is all well and good for a meaningless Bears game on some idle November afternoon, but a neutral-site championship game shouldn't be compromised by pesky elements.

Then we'd better stop holding them in Miami. :rolleyes:

I've heard this complaint before, but I don't understand the perspective. Elements don't "compromise" a game, they are an essential part of the game. This isn't basketball, designed to be played in a 68-degree windless arena.

They actually had a plan for this a couple of years ago when it looked like there was a small chance of it happening; one game would have been played on Sunday, the other probably on Monday night.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2008/11/59096484/1

In 1985, both wild-card games were at Giants Stadium, back when only five teams from each conference made the playoffs and there was only one wild-card game in each conference.

The Pats and Jets played on Saturday, and the 49ers and Giants played on Sunday.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1985/games.htm (Scroll down to playoffs at the end)

Archived