What is sport?

Alphabet Man

Just an open discussion. How would you define sport? What is it? Anything with physical movement? But then, is something like dancing a sport?

Look at what others have defined as sport then tell us if you agree/disagree. Sociology has mostly described sport, so just try to use that initially then debate it with us. They describe it so much so that it beats people on this forum down to rubble.

I'm just after an open discussion. What are peoples thoughts? How would you define it? I don't care for this sociology crap. This discussion is not a debate. I just want to see what people think would be the definition of sport. We did this at uni the other week, and 300 odd students just went blank.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively [edit] with some type of motivation, either competitive or for mere play [/edit]

That's the definition that my Sociology of Sport book gives.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

To me, sport is a necessity of life in which people can enjoy through different dynamics. In the form of entertainment, sport is an enjoyable distraction from the realities and ordeals of life. Sport is a uniter or a divider of people based on their allegiance to a team or club. In the form of exercise and competitiveness, sport entices people to perform at their physical limits in order to achieve the goals they have set out for themselves.

Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively [edit] with some type of motivation, either competitive or for mere play [/edit]

That's the definition that my Sociology of Sport book gives.

Would you call something like dancing a sport? There are competitions for it etc. it could be a classed as physically active.....

A great album by Huey Lweis and the News.

Huey-Lewis--The-News-Sports-245316.jpg

Their early work was a little too "New Wave" for my taste. But when Sports came out in 1983, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that gives the songs a big boost.

He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

Closing the tags in your signatures. That is sport.

Now....what is G?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

anyway back on topic,

is Figure Skating and Rhythmic Gymnastics considered sports or not.

see figure skating id class closer to dancing. rhythmic gymnastics...similarly.

and is darts a sport? and competitive eating.... those people involved like to refer to it as a sport?

Why the hell is every post in this stupid thread bold? Why am I even reading this?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived