Arizona Cardinals Unveil Black Alt Jerseys

Brian E

I understand the point you are trying to make, but the blue in the Blackhawks logo is so minimal. It's probably 6th in the pecking order as far as dominance, compared to yellow in the Cardinals logo being a clear third in a three-color logo. I mean, the blue is some lines on a feather, while the yellow is a full beak. Not really a comparison.

I think it's a fair comparison. The blue feather and the yellow beak are both their to add to the logo itself, but the colours weren't meant to be incorporated into the uniforms as a whole. Yes, yellow does have a more prominent role in the Cardinals logo then any of the feather colours do in the Blackhawks logo, but ultimately that doesn't change its purpose in the logo. Its purpose is to emulate the yellow bird beak image that most of us have. That's it. It was never meant to be a primary or secondary team colour.

Still, I'm not arguing for a yellow jersey with this set.

I understand that, but I think even yellow highlights/piping would be a huge step backwards for the Cards.

Well by that logic, the blue lines in the yellow feather are there because it is emulating what we'd expect to see in a yellow feather, which isn't true. The blue's role in the Blackhawks' logo is nowhere near what the yellow is in Arizona's, even by your own definition. That blue could be black or green and it wouldn't matter. ColorWerx's mention of the Steelers is absolutely a better fit for your argument, as it uses colors from the Steel logo that the Steelers adopted. But I'll let it go.

EDIT: After re-reading your post, I think I know where our problem lies: You mention a "blue feather." If there was one, you'd be closer to a similar argument. However, the feathers are red, green, yellow and orange:

56.gif

Blue only appears as the lines on the yellow feather.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no way they try to work those in. the sole purpose of creating them was due to the fact the red-piped-pants wouldnt work with the new jersey. not designed to mix and match

Neither were the Vikings' pants, but that hasn't stopped them.

I think THESE jerseys look way too close to each other as well.

p5898969dt.jpgp1490436dt.jpg

Not only are the sleeve stripes dramatically different, but one is worn with gray pants and one with gold.

I thought there was a blue feather. Oh well.

Still my point is that the yellow in the Cards' logo is just there to complete the look of the bird. It's not meant to be a "team colour."

I agree, and that is what I have been saying over the past few years when people insist the Chiefs and 49ers jerseys need black to tie in with the helmet.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Always wondered why teams didnt try a different look for an alternate.

Not sure why there would be a reason to have two of the exact same color jersey but with different designs. I'm assuming you mean that the Colts could have their regular blue jersey, and then have an alt that has northwestern stripes, no stripes, or modern piping? I think that dilutes an image more than a consistent template with flipped colors.

Let me get this straight...so what you are saying is that its essentially a bad idea for a football team to have a billion jersey styles and color combos...much like the Cleveland Cavaliers?

if so, then 'ditto'.

That's not what I'm saying (even though it's true). Nobody is arguing that a football team should have a billion jersey styles, unlike the argument that some have made for the Cavs. I don't have an issue with three jerseys for a football team, I'm just arguing that it's silly to have two of the same color uniform that are simply different designs (unless one is a pure throwback.)

I should have included a smilie because my response was more tongue in cheek then anything else.

no way they try to work those in. the sole purpose of creating them was due to the fact the red-piped-pants wouldnt work with the new jersey. not designed to mix and match

Not only are the sleeve stripes dramatically different, but one is worn with gray pants and one with gold.

Not that I'm disagreeing, but I think this board is the only place in the world where someone would call theswe two stripe patterns "dramatically different" :grin:

Not that I'm disagreeing, but I think this board is the only place in the world where someone would call theswe two stripe patterns "dramatically different" :grin:

Trying to find any sensible parallel between this board and the rest of the world is a losing battle. Its a world all its own. :D

Not that I'm disagreeing, but I think this board is the only place in the world where someone would call these two stripe patterns "dramatically different" :grin:

Not that I'm disagreeing, but I think this board is the only place in the world where someone would call these two stripe patterns "dramatically different"

:grin:

True. But since the Niners' stripes inexplicable angle down into the cuffs, I'm sure some normal people would recognize it.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I referenced it earlier, but I think the visual helps. If the Cardinals ripped off the Falcons, then the Cowboys ripped off the Colts:

3725_large.jpg

18-862-Large_Image.jpeg

They just moved the two stripes down. :) Again jerseys can be similar, but the complete look is the team's identity. The Giants' red was very similar to the Cardinals' previous red.

This Cardinals look will be unique, not a rip-off of the Falcons.

On its own I like the look, even with the white helmet. That being said, too much black for a team called the Cardinals. Keep the red on the field and leave the black to fashion jerseys only.

One point to make: actual cardinal birds are Red and Black. Period. Even the beak is Red most of the time (I think that as they mature, they can turn Yellow, but I'm not certain). There is no White. So, it really doesn't make all that much sense for having the amount of White that they have.

Cardinal-Norther,%2Bmale%2BIMG_0048b.jpg

I referenced it earlier, but I think the visual helps. If the Cardinals ripped off the Falcons, then the Cowboys ripped off the Colts:

3725_large.jpg

18-862-Large_Image.jpeg

They just moved the two stripes down. :) Again jerseys can be similar, but the complete look is the team's identity. The Giants' red was very similar to the Cardinals' previous red.

It may not be a rip-off per se but it's not unique. It resembles the Falcons' black jersey and spinning it seven ways to Sunday will never change that.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

3725_large.jpg

18-862-Large_Image.jpeg

It may not be a rip-off per se but it's not unique. It resembles the Falcons' black jersey and spinning it seven ways to Sunday will never change that.

Well, no amount of spinning can change the fact that no NFL team wears a white helmet, black jersey combo, especially the Falcons. That's unique.

ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!!

ya know what I mean?

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!! ATLANTA FALCONS!!!

ya know what I mean?

No, we have no clue. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I really don't see why everybody's comparing this to the Falcons so much. I get red and black, but there's no way you're going to be mistaking one for the other whether one wears red or black or even white. They don't look nearly similar enough for pretty much anybody to be confused or anything.

Archived