Local High School Football Uniforms

Chapeeko

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My school located on the Southside of Chicago. St. Rita of Cascia Mustangs. We're playing our arch rivals the Mt. Carmel Caravan in the pictures. Both are considered powerhouses in the Chicago Catholic League.

St. Rita vs Mt. Carmel

Champs-3.pngAppreciatethegame.png

"My name is Ignatius Peabody Nobel from East Westerton, Missouri.and this is my friend, um, Ted"

West Orange-Stark (TX) Mustangs do something different. They save uniforms from EVERY year so they have tons of combos with the retro look worn on Homecoming.

Throwbacks

wos5.jpg

And there are even more......

The problem with those throwbacks is that they are exactly what the team wore, so then you get the problem with sleeves and materials.

8026825156_0d03b8c868.jpg6864286734_be379a26d2_n.jpg

My fantasy teams: West Coast Cardinals (WRU), Glasgow Claymores (RLI) (Champions 2012) and Pemberton Foresters (VBL)

It seems like a good idea to merge another thread into this one:

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/82828-local-high-school-football-uniforms/

Mod Edit: Done. Thanks.

One reply to an old post, kind of an update:

In re the Utah school with the pitchfork: Another school has adopted it. River Valley in Arizona used it last year, then changed the shell color for this year from silver to the white seen here:

doc4eaa57e79f5d1751768918.jpg

West Orange-Stark (TX) Mustangs do something different. They save uniforms from EVERY year so they have tons of combos with the retro look worn on Homecoming.

Throwbacks

wos5.jpg

The problem with those throwbacks is that they are exactly what the team wore, so then you get the problem with sleeves and materials.

Jerseys with sleeves like that look so goofy IMO.

@Burke:

Compare what I posted from my high school to their 2006 uniforms (apologies for the size):

4c3dd166032b5.image.jpg

These very BFBS duds were worn in 2005 and 2006 with the only helmets the school has used since the late 1960s that were not red.* All the changes were rolled back in 2007 with the introduction of most of the current set. Now my school quite literally has regulations stating that black can't be the primary color for anything ? with very few and minor exceptions. This was the only time my school defeated a White Mountains team in its history.**

*The school used white helmets from 1960 to 1967.

**On a questionable last-second Show Low TD that was not called by the refs. Also, the White Mountains are like Arizona's medium-school football cradle. Did I mention Blue Ridge yet? An awesome classic uniform set and a helmet that hasn't changed since 1984 (since then, they've won twelve state titles).

I live in Springfield, IL and Sacred Heart-Griffin HS won a Nike video contest and get to design their own Pro Combat uniforms for next year. I'm really curious to see what they'll look like. They showed a glimpse of a uniform in the video that used gold, black and purple. Gold and black are their current colors, but before they consolidated with Sacred Heart (all girls school), Griffin HS's (all boys school) colors were purple and gold. I don't think they have collaborated with Nike yet, so I doubt the uniforms in the video will be the final design. I'm sure Nike will want to tweak them a little.

Update:

Apparently this is going to be the final design, but it wouldn't be the first time Nike Blog was wrong though.

http://www.nikeblog.com/2011/11/29/sacred-heart-griffin-high-school-pro-combat-uniform/

Throwbacks

wos5.jpg

Jerseys with sleeves like that look so goofy IMO.

That's a football jersey. Beautiful.

I want your opinion: is black now an almost necessary part of a high school's identity or not?

Lucky for me, I'll likely never see black as part of my school's scheme due to there being another Orange High School in Ohio that uses black and orange.

My high school colors were teal and black, long after I left Jeff Loria must've came to town because they've completely phased out the teal in favor of silver and black.

I want your opinion: is black now an almost necessary part of a high school's identity or not?

Lucky for me, I'll likely never see black as part of my school's scheme due to there being another Orange High School in Ohio that uses black and orange.

Is AZ the only state where only one school has a duplicated name? (Mountain View in Mesa and Marana) Duplications seem much more common elsewhere.

AZ's problem is common name components. We have a Desert Ridge, a Desert View, a Desert Mountain, two Mountain Views, a Mountain Ridge (from the same four components, six high schools), plus a Mountain Pointe, a South Mountain, a Desert Edge, and a Desert Vista to add to that, plus a Camp Verde and a Campo Verde*, and a Saguaro and a Sahuaro (and a Sahuarita).**

*Camp predates Campo by decades on end.

**The solution: "Saguaro with a G High School" and "Sahuaro with an H High School".

AZ's problem is common name components. We have a Desert Ridge, a Desert View, a Desert Mountain, two Mountain Views, a Mountain Ridge (from the same four components, six high schools), plus a Mountain Pointe, a South Mountain, a Desert Edge, and a Desert Vista to add to that, plus a Camp Verde and a Campo Verde*, and a Saguaro and a Sahuaro (and a Sahuarita).

Utah has a smaller, similar component repitition. "View" seems to be a bit common here. Off the top of my head, there's Pine View, Canyon View, Timpview, Sky View, Mountain View...there's got to be a few more I'm missing.

Oh by the way, I really enjoy the AZ Helmet Project. Nice research!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Is AZ the only state where only one school has a duplicated name? (Mountain View in Mesa and Marana) Duplications seem much more common elsewhere.

AZ's problem is common name components. We have a Desert Ridge, a Desert View, a Desert Mountain, two Mountain Views, a Mountain Ridge (from the same four components, six high schools), plus a Mountain Pointe, a South Mountain, a Desert Edge, and a Desert Vista to add to that, plus a Camp Verde and a Campo Verde*, and a Saguaro and a Sahuaro (and a Sahuarita).**

*Camp predates Campo by decades on end.

**The solution: "Saguaro with a G High School" and "Sahuaro with an H High School".

In Alabama it seems to be the Grove. Mountain Grove, Union Grove, Pleasant Grove, Valley Grove, etc.

@knnhrvy16: Thanks! One out of every four helmets on the site is my submission. I've found helmets from all 15 Arizona counties and in all divisions and sections. Don Gilbert's work is also awesome, rendering the helmets. Some of them are pretty complicated. I'll periodically rotate in and out helmet finds of mine into my signature, so keep looking.

@Glenn52-14: We only have one Grove here, and it literally opened this year. Walden Grove High School is named for a family who grows pecans and donated money and land for the school.

Besides the district name connections here (Olentangy, Dublin, Worthington), we really don't have many schools sharing parts of the name. It's odd for my alma mater too, since we're Columbus based and the other Orange is based in the Cleveland area. We even share very similar logos:

Orange High School in Cleveland

CA9286716783.gif (which my first school, Olentangy, having a secondary logo that looks exactly like this with their name and color).

Olentangy Orange High School in Columbus

3.png

Manchester-City-icon.png

Here, unlike in other states, schools don't tack on the name of the school district to the front. The media sometimes adds the city in front, but this is misleading for a variety of reasons:

-Phoenix is not one school district. It's served by about five of them. Saying "Phoenix Desert Vista" and "Phoenix Paradise Valley" is correct, but neither is in the Phoenix Union High School District ? and for what it's worth, saying Phoenix for Desert Vista or Mountain Pointe is downright bad.*

-School districts don't serve all the areas of their city. For instance, the Chandler Unified School District doesn't serve a small panhandle-shaped area of Chandler west of the Loop 101 freeway (Tempe Union HSD), but it DOES serve portions of Gilbert (and has a high school there, Perry High School).

-Some districts don't correspond to one city in particular (Higley Unified School District).

-The city MUST be added in front of a Mountain View (see above), Mesa or Marana.

-This doesn't need to be done in most small towns. Major exceptions: Antelope (Wellton), the Bullhead City area, Blue Ridge (Pinetop-Lakeside), Monument Valley (Kayenta), Baboquivari (Sells).

*It's actually in a geographically isolated area of Phoenix called Ahwatukee, more East Valley than Phoenix.

There are only four schools in my county so I might as well post them all. All four are small schools.

First, my old HS. Fernandina Beach Pirates.

image1.jpg

Next is The Yulee Hornets.

HenryDerrick_111028_7687_TCasey.jpg

Hillard Flashes

01pirates.jpg

West Nassau Warriors (was hard finding a pic)

01pirates.jpg

I never noticed how much my county likes black. Glad Fernandina hasn't followed.

Archived