The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marvel doing a little partnership with the NBA:

237508191.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1297088341&Signature=Z90qKwKy%2BjP5d%2BiQeLi2pTgLRrM%3D

EDIT: HERE is the article to go along with the idea. Looks like Hulk will be on a Celts shirt and Capt. America (Heat?), Ironman (Lakers?), and Thor (Thunder?) will also be included with "undisclosed" teams.

I'm trying to think which superheroes would go with each team. Thor makes sense for the Thunder (what with him being the thunder god, and being based in Oklahoma). Falcon could work for the Hawks (duh), Hornet for the Hornets (duh again). Maybe Doc Strange for the Magic (even though he's no longer Sorcerer Supreme).

Other than that, I got nothin'. I like the idea though, reminds me of the NBA/Warner Bros. t-shirts around when I was a kid.

OK, here's what I'm thinking

Captain America: Sixers (patriotic theme)

Iron Man: Lakers (his home area)

Thor: Thunder (isn't it obvious?)

Hawkeye: Hawks

Black Panther: Bobcats

Dr. Strange: Wizards (Sorcerer Supreme)

Wolverine: Raptors (he is Canadian)

bYhYmxh.png

I'd say she's more likely to appear on Milwaukee's shirt, along with the rest of the Great Lakes Avengers/Champions/Whatever they're calling themselves these days.

I'd hate to see Gambit on a Hornets shirt though, despite the connection. His introduction was one of the reasons I dropped X-Men comics for over a decade. How about Brother Voodoo? He might be better suited to the Wizards or Magic, but he's from New Orleans.

Failing that, Wasp.

I just want a t-shirt of David Stern as Uatu the Watcher.

OK, here's what I'm thinking

Captain America: Sixers (patriotic theme)

Iron Man: Lakers (his home area)

Thor: Thunder (isn't it obvious?)

Hawkeye: Hawks

Black Panther: Bobcats

Dr. Strange: Wizards (Sorcerer Supreme)

Wolverine: Raptors (he is Canadian)

Im thinking the pairings might go along the route of the ESPN illustrations where the Heat were Captain(s) America...maybe they'll get a clue and fix that though, because the Heat are NOT America's team like Stern & Co. want them to be. Also, nice connection with Wolverine for the Raps (though I wouldn't want my favorite Marvel hero defamed by the terribleness that is the Raps :P)

They were not so creative, to be honest.

http://marvel.com/news/story/15148/marvel_teams_up_with_the_nba

I guess this is mostly merchandizing campaign, whioh means that less popular teams will be just ignored (a T with the Spiderman in Bucks colours wouldn't be a bestseller probably). However, they should be more succesful than the NHL project despite not putting too much effort. Brands just sell well nowadays. This is pure marketing calculation most popular teams + most popular supeheroes = $$$$$

BTW, this was my quick photoshop approach on NBA guardians

http://img41.imageshack.us/g/01copyq.jpg/

Why would they only do 2 "hero-to-team pairings" shirts? Not even Ironman by himself for the Lakers? or Thor by himself for OKC? or Captain America for the Heat? or Wolverine for the Magic? C'mon!

Weak sauce, Marvel/NBA...coulda had something more extensive and money making than this poor attempt.

? A little birdie tells me...the Knicks are ditching the black and going to a very simple design, à la the Cavaliers. ?

So, these (with the addition of the subway token logo above the player's name)?

yhi0yudffbyc8r8tlf7lxvenc.giflkah2vyvfrjijsyeg044fmgkk.gif

If they go that route, maybe they can make the home wordmark say "KNICKS" like it should...?

Also, do you think re-colored primary and alternate logos will also be in the works to remove the silver and black?

The closer the team gets to those beauties, the better. The Celtics didn't switch to the v-neck style, so maybe NY could avoid it too. Honestly, outside of adding the subway token logo to the back of the jersey, these are perfect as is. Glory days revisited.

Uggh, I hate this. I like the current template and the subtle black on the home, but the away has waaay too much black and they need an orange alt with "Knicks" on the front.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

I'd love a return to these, it's what I grew up on during their playoffs runs with Chicago and Indy.

The mid-90s alts were a mess, and I like what they've done the past 10 years or so much better, but yeah, still wayyy too much black on the road. The black shoes/socks brings it out even more.

I'd love a return to these, it's what I grew up on during their playoffs runs with Chicago and Indy.

The mid-90s alts were a mess, and I like what they've done the past 10 years or so much better, but yeah, still wayyy too much black on the road. The black shoes/socks brings it out even more.

Ditto. I remember when they first added the black to the jerseys and they had the really wide side striping on the shorts. The current ones at least minimize that design, and although I don't have a big problem with the black, I wouldn't mind them simplifying their design. Also, not sure about having an orange alternate to be honest. I've never particularly liked orange as a main color (case in point: didn't like the Bobcat's old jersey) so I'm definitely biased. Ditto on having "Knicks" on the jersey, but that mainly depends on how it's rendered.

I liked those orange Bobcats jerseys. Why not.

I don't, however, feel that the Knicks need an orange alt that says "Knicks" on it. They should worry about having two nice jerseys again before they worry about a third jersey that takes dates away from those first two.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

To me, the biggest flaw with the Bobcats' old jerseys was that they had these really stylized italic numbers below the boilerplate radial-arched single-layer varsity serif that practically everyone used. Radial + italic really clashed to me. They should've gone with straight-across italic names if they were going to be as progressive with their design as they had otherwise tried to be. Ah well, they don't know what the hell they're doing.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Also, not sure about having an orange alternate to be honest. I've never particularly liked orange as a main color (case in point: didn't like the Bobcat's old jersey) so I'm definitely biased. Ditto on having "Knicks" on the jersey, but that mainly depends on how it's rendered.

I don't like the idea of 'Knicks' on the jersey. NEW YORK in simple block letters has worked for the majority of their 65 year history.

I think an orange alt would be rather garish. If they need an alt, maybe a throwback to the number over team name look from the 70s or their real old school looks they've done a couple times. New and glitzy just doesn't fit one of the original teams in the league.

Also, not sure about having an orange alternate to be honest. I've never particularly liked orange as a main color (case in point: didn't like the Bobcat's old jersey) so I'm definitely biased. Ditto on having "Knicks" on the jersey, but that mainly depends on how it's rendered.

I don't like the idea of 'Knicks' on the jersey. NEW YORK in simple block letters has worked for the majority of their 65 year history.

I think an orange alt would be rather garish. If they need an alt, maybe a throwback to the number over team name look from the 70s or their real old school looks they've done a couple times. New and glitzy just doesn't fit one of the original teams in the league.

I agree with everything you said. I think the Knicks have a (somewhat) unique thing going with the NEW YORK on both jerseys and I think they should keep it that way. It's just "their thing" (even if a couple of other teams do it).

And I agree that an orange jersey wouldn't look good for the Knicks. I feel like it works for other teams, but something about the Knicks (maybe their long history) makes me think of them as a classic team that shouldn't wear garish uniforms.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Archived