The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

? A little birdie tells me...the Knicks are ditching the black and going to a very simple design, à la the Cavaliers. ?

So, these (with the addition of the subway token logo above the player's name)?

yhi0yudffbyc8r8tlf7lxvenc.giflkah2vyvfrjijsyeg044fmgkk.gif

If they go that route, maybe they can make the home wordmark say "KNICKS" like it should...?

Also, do you think re-colored primary and alternate logos will also be in the works to remove the silver and black?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question: have the Knicks ever worn a "Knicks" script on any of their jerseys? I can't recall ever having seen that before. I don't even know that I'd like to see it added now, but I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

And...after seeing those Warriors hardwood classic throwbacks, I am reminded that the Warriors have a history of this jersey-number-within-circle thing. But did the original versions of that uniform have the Helvetica-ish numbers, as well?

(I'd look, but I'm on the gub's 'net, so image search engines don't really work too well here.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The Knicks did wear Knicks on their jersey once from what I remember.

It was during the navy/maroon color era where they had KNICKS on the home jersey.

Personally, I think they should leave Knicks for the alternate uniform because 1. Knicks doesn't look as good in that font when spaced and bent accordingly, 2. The Knicks have almost always worn New York on both home and road, and finally 3. I like the fact they have New York on both, I always thought it was a play on the whole New York, New York thing.. the city so nice they named it twice, etc..

I expect the Knicks to use the uniforms conrad posted, except with a V-neck, and a modern apple NY logo on the shorts.

? A little birdie tells me...the Knicks are ditching the black and going to a very simple design, à la the Cavaliers. ?

So, these (with the addition of the subway token logo above the player's name)?

yhi0yudffbyc8r8tlf7lxvenc.giflkah2vyvfrjijsyeg044fmgkk.gif

If they go that route, maybe they can make the home wordmark say "KNICKS" like it should...?

Also, do you think re-colored primary and alternate logos will also be in the works to remove the silver and black?

The closer the team gets to those beauties, the better. The Celtics didn't switch to the v-neck style, so maybe NY could avoid it too. Honestly, outside of adding the subway token logo to the back of the jersey, these are perfect as is. Glory days revisited.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

Question: have the Knicks ever worn a "Knicks" script on any of their jerseys? I can't recall ever having seen that before. I don't even know that I'd like to see it added now, but I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

I think they did on those :censored: ty early 80s home uniforms.

I think the V-neck looks really sharp one their current set and in general teams are straying away from the round neck.

Personally, I wouldn't mind something like this...

knicksconcept2.png

I don't mind the v-neck on most jerseys these days, but I think there needs to be some sort of piping/border around the arm holes at least.

Don't get me wrong, I like those unis. They are obviously classics, and they are what the team wore when they won their only championship. But I wouldn't want to see them wearing those every night. The time for those has come and gone. As an alternate, fine, and as a throwback, fine. But not every game.

I feel completely the opposite. To be honest...I always thought those uniforms were pretty awful. But to me those awful striped uniforms ARE the Bullets. If they change back to them, they will be reaffirming the Bullets identity, even if they are still called the Wizards.

The solid red jerseys with the star trek font that followed the stripes were bland nothingness (and at their worst were completely illegible.) Even if it is their traditional colors, the NBA doesn't need another r/w/b team after the Sixers and Nets...and with the Hawks in the wrong colors it just makes the situation worse. To me the Clippers look isn't even distinctive enough and sky blue / burnt orange would be much more iconic; but I digress...

Bottom line I think the Bullets identity is red white and blue HORIZONTAL STRIPES - which is a completely different identity than red white and blue and differentiates them from the overload of r/w/b. (I might even say the New Jersey Nets identity is r/w/b vertical stripes at that, but blue/red/gray is a nice identity for a Brooklyn team, with a script wordmark - I'm convinced they're going to go Brooklyn Dodgers uniforms on hardwood, but with the name Knights, and that it will be great)

Don't get me wrong, I like those unis. They are obviously classics, and they are what the team wore when they won their only championship. But I wouldn't want to see them wearing those every night. The time for those has come and gone. As an alternate, fine, and as a throwback, fine. But not every game.

I feel completely the opposite. To be honest...I always thought those uniforms were pretty awful. But to me those awful striped uniforms ARE the Bullets. If they change back to them, they will be reaffirming the Bullets identity, even if they are still called the Wizards.

The solid red jerseys with the star trek font that followed the stripes were bland nothingness (and at their worst were completely illegible.) Even if it is their traditional colors, the NBA doesn't need another r/w/b team after the Sixers and Nets...and with the Hawks in the wrong colors it just makes the situation worse. To me the Clippers look isn't even distinctive enough and sky blue / burnt orange would be much more iconic; but I digress...

Bottom line I think the Bullets identity is red white and blue HORIZONTAL STRIPES - which is a completely different identity than red white and blue and differentiates them from the overload of r/w/b. (I might even say the New Jersey Nets identity is r/w/b vertical stripes at that, but blue/red/gray is a nice identity for a Brooklyn team, with a script wordmark - I'm convinced they're going to go Brooklyn Dodgers uniforms on hardwood, but with the name Knights, and that it will be great)

I feel like going back to those (or even going to something similar) would be like the Astros going back to their rainbow guts uniforms. I mean yeah, easily identifiable with the team, and sort of "cult-classic"-y, but just way out of style and not fit to be worn today.

Totally agree that there are too many boring-looking r/w/b teams, and that because of that the Wizards should do something to distinguish themselves from all those look-alike teams. But I don't think that they should look original and distinguished at the expense of looking bad and outdated. It's a fine line, I guess.

I feel like what could set them apart from those teams could be stars. None of those r/w/b team really use stars now except maybe the 76ers, and even that I think is just really in their logo. I think their "trademark" could be sets of three stars somehow incorporated into the uniform (but different from how they were worn before). A nod to the DC flag.

As for the color change in general, personally I have been against the switch to r/w/b ever since it became known.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Those Warriors unis look great (although I prefered the set after those, with the "WARRIORS" wordmark), but that yellow looks wrong to me. It might just be the quality of old photos, but I'm sure the 74-75 Warriors had a darker blue and deeper, slightly more orange yellow.

ColorWerx, can you confirm or deny this?

Just got home from the Warriors first hardwood classic night of the season. Man, why did the NBA have to reject the warriors request to return to yellow home jerseys like the old days. They look so good in it.

ap-595285166d66438c9237947041276a1f.jpgap-21b2d39ca6bb4eb292d2e745ce83722c.jpg

Just be glad that the NBA didn't force the Bucks to wear their White jerseys like they have in the past. Color vs. Color is the way to go!

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

I love the look of the yellow jersey. I think the NBA messed up by not letting the Warriors have a yellow home jersey. But now they can create one for an alternate jersey.

I wish when teams would do a Hardwood Classic Night that both teams wear a Hardwood Classic jersey.

Same goes for all throwback events.

Those Warriors unis look great (although I prefered the set after those, with the "WARRIORS" wordmark), but that yellow looks wrong to me. It might just be the quality of old photos, but I'm sure the 74-75 Warriors had a darker blue and deeper, slightly more orange yellow.

For the most part, yes.

In print, the Yellow/Gold was actually lighter, but I'm fairly certain that the actual fabric color was deeper in those days. The Blue however, was most certainly darker:

GoldenStateWarriors_FRC_1979_SOL_SRGB.png

GoldenStateWarriors_SP1_2011_SOL_SRGB.png

Keep in mind, the NBA has flat-out told me that color accuracy doesn't matter to them...just the ability to reproduce the uniforms using the existing fabrics.

Something like this?

Something like that yes. But I would have preferred an out line logo like the throwbacks instead of the colored in circle. Also Warriors above the current logo written in the font of the throwbacks. But when they finally show their yellow alts, Think it will be next year. They will look just like you have shown.

The pic from last nights may look a lil lighter too, when you compare this pic I have of the game compared to the floor and also a pic of Curry's 70 ft alley oop pass to Dorell Wright for the reverse dunk for good measure.

5416667317_8d46184ef2.jpgdorellWright-reverseOop_medium.jpg

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

Archived