The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

Their new look seems to harken back to the Charlotte days (pinstripes and all) and back in Charlotte they had light blue teal roads with a dark blue purple alt.

FTFY.

:P

Haha, thanks bro. Im kind of new to these boards and I dont want to piss anyone off. You are right though. I dont know why but those alts always looked dark blue to me. Upon closer inspection, they are purple.

Ironically, the majority of the trim on those early Hornets unis was a Royal Blue; not Purple. Purple was in the logo, and in some of the accent striping (along with Royal Blue, Kelly Green and Light Blue), but the unis were mostly Teal, White and Royal Blue.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's what the warriors should have done...

15czx29.png

It fits what they used in the past, more. I was going to get rid of the yellow outline around the Bay Bridge but unfortunately I do not have the powers to do that, so if someone could do it then that'd be cool.

bSLCtu2.png

That's been bugging me ever since they first vectorized that logo for the Hardwood Classics stuff. Really, really sloppy.

You and me both! It?s really a pity they couldn?t go back to the drawing board and clean it up before they released it as their new logo.

They won't be able to introduce an alternate uniform for two seasons, but I fully expect it will be yellow. Also, aren't the Hornets due to get their yellow alternate jersey back (in the new style)? Has it it been two seasons with the new set?

Why do you say yellow following the success of the green Hardwoods from last season?

The mistakes were certainly present in the original Hardwood Classics files:

NewOrleansJazz_PRM_1975-1979.png

Yeah but that?s just a crappy attempt to retrace what that logo entirely! And what the heck is up with the curving on the J? IT SUCKS and doesn?t add to the logo AT ALL!!!

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

(probably already reported)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5312176

CLEVELAND -- Without knowing if LeBron James will ever wear a Cleveland jersey again, the Cavaliers have slightly changed their team colors.

The Cavs have deepened the original wine and brightened the original gold colors the team used exclusively from 1970-83.

The team made the alteration partly because of the popularity of the "old" colors with fans. The team's primary and secondary logos have been updated with the new color shades, which will be included on the Cavs' uniforms next season.

After several color, logo and uniform changes, the Cavs switched to their current designs before the 2003-04 season, James' rookie year. James becomes a free agent July 1.

They won't be able to introduce an alternate uniform for two seasons, but I fully expect it will be yellow. Also, aren't the Hornets due to get their yellow alternate jersey back (in the new style)? Has it it been two seasons with the new set?

Why do you say yellow following the success of the green Hardwoods from last season?

I think he's talking Cavs. I'd expect the Jazz jersey to be green -- and can't they just wear the same throwback again this year? Figured it's a way to get around the two-year wait rule.

I think he's talking Cavs. I'd expect the Jazz jersey to be green -- and can't they just wear the same throwback again this year? Figured it's a way to get around the two-year wait rule.

That?s an excellent point and I would imagine they could, but I haven?t heard anything about them sporting any Hardwood Classic unis for the 2010-11 season.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

I understand those won't be the Cavs jerseys, but that reminds me how horrible it is that they are changing the colors. Not only does it mean moving to crappy colors, but losing the old jerseys, also.

It is a shame. Almost everything was perfect about their previous look. Even the crappy blue jersey would look really good if the striping matched the other jerseys and the white and gold were reversed on the wordmark/numbers. The wordmark could have been better, and the front number should have been red on the home jersey, but these were great. They destroyed a modern classic.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Also, aren't the Hornets due to get their yellow alternate jersey back (in the new style)? Has it it been two seasons with the new set?

It has been two seasons; howver, I could equally see them going with a dark blue alt. Their new look seems to harken back to the Charlotte days (pinstripes and all) and back in Charlotte they had light blue roads with a dark blue alt.

Speeking of the Hornets, why don't their uniforms use their namesake? I understand when they had just moved, to make it clear to everyone that they were now in a different city, andf then with the whole OKC debacle, they had to do the same. But now everyone knows them as the New Orleans Hornets. Its a great team name, why not show it off? Hopefully the altenates will reflect this.

Issue #1: The Hornets last year had the "Mardi Gras" alts in purple, green, and gold, which were worn (appropriately) only during Carnival season (between January 6th and Mardi Gras). I don't think you will see another or different alternate; the Mardi Gras alternate was pretty popular with the locals in terms of acceptance and merch sales.

Issue #2: Use of only the city name on Hornets jerseys has little if anything to do with the move to New Orleans; it is a conscious decision by the owner, George Shinn. In interviews and commentary, he has stated wearing the city name home and away gives coverage to the city and is a boon to the city (in Charlotte, they also only wore "Charlotte", home and away; the only time the franchise ever wore "HORNETS" was for "home" games in during their 2 year diaspora in Oklahoma City.)

It is what it is.

I'm not sure the 2 year deal applies to the Cavaliers. If the only thing they are changing is wordmarks than I think they'd be ok too change the alternate aswell because teams don't have to wait 2 years without an alternate to get a new one. However maybe the Cavs have brand new uniforms.

It is pretty well established from the initial article/press release and from interviews with Dan Gilbert that the Cavaliers are getting new uniforms that are predominantly wine and gold, and are reportedly inspired by the original wine and gold eras of the 1970s. The new wordmark (from the draft cap) was mentioned as well. Thus, the Cavs will be subject to the no-alternate rule for the next two seasons, except for the CavFanatic promo, which one would expect to be another recolored uniform from the team's history.

The Hornets will definitely not go dark blue on an alternate.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The new navy Cleveland jersey will have Cavaliers for its word mark.

There is no new navy jersey. The Cavaliers will not have a full-time alternate jersey for two seasons if they are changing uniforms, and I would bet my life that the new road jersey is not navy blue since the whole point of the switch was to emrace the original wine and gold. The only uniforms they can wear for the next two seasons are home, road, hardwood classic and Cav Fanatic promo uniforms.

Wasatch: I was talking about the Cavs. I would bet on a yellow alternate when the time comes. Jazz, I would guess green, maybe with the mountain logo wordmark?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The new navy Cleveland jersey will have Cavaliers for its word mark.

There is no new navy jersey. The Cavaliers will not have a full-time alternate jersey for two seasons if they are changing uniforms, and I would bet my life that the new road jersey is not navy blue since the whole point of the switch was to emrace the original wine and gold. The only uniforms they can wear for the next two seasons are home, road, hardwood classic and Cav Fanatic promo uniforms.

Wasatch: I was talking about the Cavs. I would bet on a yellow alternate when the time comes. Jazz, I would guess green, maybe with the mountain logo wordmark?

He is correct. Even though the original press release said "minor adjustments," I fully expect the navy to be dropped from the uniforms, completely... thank you, God. I think the Navy is ONLY going to be used in the logos.

Besides the wordmark change, I think the uniforms are going to be cleaned up a bit. On the home uniform... the side panel consists of a red panel, small gap of white, then thin gold, navy, and gold stripe. I think this will probably be changed to a red panel, with a small white gap, and a gold stripe of equal width of the white gap. Same goes with the Wine away uniform.

I think they white jersey will have red wordmark outlined in gold with gold numbers outlined in wine. Hopefully, the wine uniform will have gold letters outlined in white, with a white number, outlined in gold.

As for the potential alternate in 2 year... Gold with red panel. Red wordmark and number outlined in white.

As for Golden State... My only problem is having "Golden State Warriors" around the logo, ON the jersey. It seems WAYYY too busy. I think they should have just went with the circle logo, and if they HAD to have some letters on it, only go with Warriors.

My other qualm is the SF logo. I get it, San Francisco... but... why call yourself Golden State, but have a SF logo. I don't get it.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

My other qualm is the SF logo. I get it, San Francisco... but... why call yourself Golden State, but have a SF logo. I don't get it.

They should really thrown everyone for a loop and presented a logo with "Fremont" in it...

Archived