The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

The other problem with SF logo, which bugs me more than merely using SF, is the "Est. 1962" part. I think that once you relocate, you sort of relinquish your claim to year-of-establishment imagery lest it just confuse the hell out of everyone. In this case, the Warriors franchise was founded in 1947, which the team acknowledged by celebrating in 1997, but moved to San Francisco in 1962, and then kinda bounced around between Daly City and Oakland (and SD?) until becoming the idiosyncratic GSWs in I think 1972. It gets a little muddled, though it's nowhere near as baffling as the Washington Nationals beginning play in 2005 after having joined the league as the Expos in 1969, while laying claim to the original Washington team that was established in 1901 by alleging that they [the neo-Nats] were established in 1905. Too many digits in this post.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just did a quick color switch to see what the Cavs uniforms would look like if the only thing they did was change the colors...

cavsuniforms.png

Getting rid of the metallic gold in favor of yellow is a huge downgrade for me. I just don't get it because I think their current look is as close to perfect as they could get.

The new navy Cleveland jersey will have Cavaliers for its word mark.

There is no new navy jersey. The Cavaliers will not have a full-time alternate jersey for two seasons if they are changing uniforms, and I would bet my life that the new road jersey is not navy blue since the whole point of the switch was to emrace the original wine and gold. The only uniforms they can wear for the next two seasons are home, road, hardwood classic and Cav Fanatic promo uniforms.

Wasatch: I was talking about the Cavs. I would bet on a yellow alternate when the time comes. Jazz, I would guess green, maybe with the mountain logo wordmark?

He is correct. Even though the original press release said "minor adjustments," I fully expect the navy to be dropped from the uniforms, completely... thank you, God. I think the Navy is ONLY going to be used in the logos.

Besides the wordmark change, I think the uniforms are going to be cleaned up a bit. On the home uniform... the side panel consists of a red panel, small gap of white, then thin gold, navy, and gold stripe. I think this will probably be changed to a red panel, with a small white gap, and a gold stripe of equal width of the white gap. Same goes with the Wine away uniform.

I think they white jersey will have red wordmark outlined in gold with gold numbers outlined in wine. Hopefully, the wine uniform will have gold letters outlined in white, with a white number, outlined in gold.

As for the potential alternate in 2 year... Gold with red panel. Red wordmark and number outlined in white.

As for Golden State... My only problem is having "Golden State Warriors" around the logo, ON the jersey. It seems WAYYY too busy. I think they should have just went with the circle logo, and if they HAD to have some letters on it, only go with Warriors.

My other qualm is the SF logo. I get it, San Francisco... but... why call yourself Golden State, but have a SF logo. I don't get it.

Maybe not a huge change, but it is still big news.

I was going by what Brian Windhorst wrote back in March. Here it is.

Next year's uniforms to unveil a revised color scheme: Cavaliers Insider

By Brian Windhorst, The Plain Dealer

March 28, 2010, 8:14PM

It may seem like no team in the NBA wears as many different uniforms as the Cavaliers. Well, there's more -- with completely different styles -- on the way.

The Cavs are planning on slightly changing their team colors and also revamping their standard home and road uniforms for next season. The idea has been in the works for about two years, the amount of time the team must give the league before making a uniform adjustment, but the designs are not finalized.

It will not be a major change, team sources said, like seven years ago when the team brought back its current "new expression of wine and gold" and a new logo featuring crossing swords. The team's logos will stay basically the same, but there's going to be a brighter yellow featured.

Also, the front of the uniforms are expected to undergo a design change with a different presentation of the word "Cavaliers" on the home white and alternate blue uniforms and a different style of "Cleveland" on the wine road jerseys.

Currently, the Cavs use a pale shade of gold. That is one of the reasons why the gold has been less emphasized in recent years. There is virtually no gold used on the current floor design and very little on the standard uniforms. Blue has emerged as the team's secondary color by default. The new gold color will be more vibrant, closer to the original gold the team used in the 1970s and early 1980s.

The team hopes to finalize and unveil its new uniforms by the end of the season.

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

There is no new navy jersey. The Cavaliers will not have a full-time alternate jersey for two seasons if they are changing uniforms, and I would bet my life that the new road jersey is not navy blue since the whole point of the switch was to emrace the original wine and gold. The only uniforms they can wear for the next two seasons are home, road, hardwood classic and Cav Fanatic promo uniforms.

Wasatch: I was talking about the Cavs. I would bet on a yellow alternate when the time comes. Jazz, I would guess green, maybe with the mountain logo wordmark?

He is correct. Even though the original press release said "minor adjustments," I fully expect the navy to be dropped from the uniforms, completely... thank you, God. I think the Navy is ONLY going to be used in the logos.

Besides the wordmark change, I think the uniforms are going to be cleaned up a bit. On the home uniform... the side panel consists of a red panel, small gap of white, then thin gold, navy, and gold stripe. I think this will probably be changed to a red panel, with a small white gap, and a gold stripe of equal width of the white gap. Same goes with the Wine away uniform.

I think they white jersey will have red wordmark outlined in gold with gold numbers outlined in wine. Hopefully, the wine uniform will have gold letters outlined in white, with a white number, outlined in gold.

As for the potential alternate in 2 year... Gold with red panel. Red wordmark and number outlined in white.

As for Golden State... My only problem is having "Golden State Warriors" around the logo, ON the jersey. It seems WAYYY too busy. I think they should have just went with the circle logo, and if they HAD to have some letters on it, only go with Warriors.

My other qualm is the SF logo. I get it, San Francisco... but... why call yourself Golden State, but have a SF logo. I don't get it.

It may seem like no team in the NBA wears as many different uniforms as the Cavaliers. Well, there's more -- with completely different styles -- on the way.

The Cavs are planning on slightly changing their team colors and also revamping their standard home and road uniforms for next season. The idea has been in the works for about two years, the amount of time the team must give the league before making a uniform adjustment, but the designs are not finalized.

It will not be a major change, team sources said, like seven years ago when the team brought back its current "new expression of wine and gold" and a new logo featuring crossing swords. The team's logos will stay basically the same, but there's going to be a brighter yellow featured.

Also, the front of the uniforms are expected to undergo a design change with a different presentation of the word "Cavaliers" on the home white and alternate blue uniforms and a different style of "Cleveland" on the wine road jerseys.

Currently, the Cavs use a pale shade of gold. That is one of the reasons why the gold has been less emphasized in recent years. There is virtually no gold used on the current floor design and very little on the standard uniforms. Blue has emerged as the team's secondary color by default. The new gold color will be more vibrant, closer to the original gold the team used in the 1970s and early 1980s.

The team hopes to finalize and unveil its new uniforms by the end of the season.

Well, the issue is that Windy doesn't know what he's talking about with regard to uniforms. He's a beat writer and is writing about a subject that comes up once every 5 years or so (the uniforms). He, like most casual fans, doesn't have the same detailed interest in uniforms as we do, and thus, is most likely just relaying info without putting much thought into the piece, to be honest. I wouldn't read too much into anything an average sportswriter writes about uniforms. I'd be totally, completely shocked if there is a full-time blue alternate unveiled in addition the the home, road and CavFanatic uniforms.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Well, the issue is that Windy doesn't know what he's talking about with regard to uniforms. He's a beat writer and is writing about a subject that comes up once every 5 years or so (the uniforms). He, like most casual fans, doesn't have the same detailed interest in uniforms as we do, and thus, is most likely just relaying info without putting much thought into the piece, to be honest. I wouldn't read too much into anything an average sportswriter writes about uniforms. I'd be totally, completely shocked if there is a full-time blue alternate unveiled in addition the the home, road and CavFanatic uniforms.

Not a fan of the navy jersey. I'd love to see a gold jersey.

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

Not a fan of the navy jersey. I'd love to see a gold jersey.

Truthfully, I'd expect the alternate to be gold when it finally does come out.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Here is a possible look at the 2011 All-Star Jerseys for the East

adidas-super-beast-adizero-rose-1.5-dwight-howard-derrick-rose-basketball-6-600x533.jpg

Well judging by this logo for the all star game...

AS11_LA_2nd_A.jpg

...I'd say they may just be the East jersey.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

And since Rose and Howard are both sponsored by Adidas, who make the All-Star jerseys, it makes even more sense. They're very similar to last years too

EDIT: POST #800!

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Wasatch are the numbers going to be outlined on the roads?

No, there won?t be any outlining on the numbers. What you see on those uniform t-shirts is how the actual numbers will look. I also just took another look at both the home and away uniforms and I can indeed confirm that?s ZERO GRAY on either one of them.

... then how do you explain this?

Greg Miller's spy pic

ujsignature.png

No, there won?t be any outlining on the numbers. What you see on those uniform t-shirts is how the actual numbers will look. I also just took another look at both the home and away uniforms and I can indeed confirm that?s ZERO GRAY on either one of them.

Greg Miller's spy pic

those are the home jerseys buddy

Greg Miller's spy pic

those are the home jerseys buddy

I refer you to Wasatch's reply, not JimboJohnny's question.

ujsignature.png

Honestly, it looks like a white outline. So really, practically speaking, there isn't an outline.

As for the Warriors, I think their best bet is to just use an updated version of this.

Also I'm with admiral on the "Est. 1962" stuff. It needs to go. The team was founded in 1946.

Greg Miller's spy pic

What's the point of that slight white outlining that?s obviously on what looks like the numbers? And no, they won?t be having any outlining, it?ll be like the Sixers solid block lettering.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Just did a quick color switch to see what the Cavs uniforms would look like if the only thing they did was change the colors...

cavsuniforms.png

Getting rid of the metallic gold in favor of yellow is a huge downgrade for me. I just don't get it because I think their current look is as close to perfect as they could get.

This mix of red and gold doesnt play well with the navy. I expect the navy to be completely dropped from the uniforms and only used in the logos. Not only that, the marketing team has seen the success of the HWC version of the Feather C, the gold candy cane uniform, as well as the CavFanatic uniform this past year, with the wine, gold, and white... no navy.

If you take those uniforms, apply a cleaner wordmark... and clean up the side panels, you have a nice uniform. It may be simple and uneventful, but still clean and nice.

And if there is a just and loving God, we will see a gold alternate... and the navy will die, die, die.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

cavsuniforms.png

This mix of red and gold doesnt play well with the navy. I expect the navy to be completely dropped from the uniforms and only used in the logos. Not only that, the marketing team has seen the success of the HWC version of the Feather C, the gold candy cane uniform, as well as the CavFanatic uniform this past year, with the wine, gold, and white... no navy.

If you take those uniforms, apply a cleaner wordmark... and clean up the side panels, you have a nice uniform. It may be simple and uneventful, but still clean and nice.

And if there is a just and loving God, we will see a gold alternate... and the navy will die, die, die.

Well it?s obvious from the wordmarks in their official logo sheet that the navy is taking a backseat, so it could still be used as an accent color of some kind. It?s not so bad when it?s used on a small scale. I?m with you though; a white, red, and yellow uniform could work quite nicely, just as long as it doesn?t look like Houston?s Mickey D?s unis!

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

i would like to see the cavs uniforms look a something like this

cavsuniforms.png

i agree with something similar. I think the navy still is distracting, even on the small scale.

I also dont see them outlining just the number. If they are going to outline, they SHOULD do the wordmark as well.

On the side panels, I expect to see another strip on either side of the solid color panel. If not, its just a recolor of the clippers uniform, ya know?

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Archived