The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

Very nice! I'm surprised someone hasn't taken the liberty of mocking up what they believe will be the new Jazz unis....

Page 36 :rolleyes:

jazzconcept.png

... So whoever mocked this up thinks there is gonna be an extremely subtle mountain logo design on the back of the uniform? Im not trying to be sarcastic, but my eyes are going and I cant tell if thats what Im seeing on the back.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very nice! I'm surprised someone hasn't taken the liberty of mocking up what they believe will be the new Jazz unis....

Page 36 :rolleyes:

jazzconcept.png

... So whoever mocked this up thinks there is gonna be an extremely subtle mountain logo design on the back of the uniform? Im not trying to be sarcastic, but my eyes are going and I cant tell if thats what Im seeing on the back.

i see it as well

Wasatch are the numbers going to be outlined on the roads?

No, there won?t be any outlining on the numbers. What you see on those uniform t-shirts is how the actual numbers will look. I also just took another look at both the home and away uniforms and I can indeed confirm that?s ZERO GRAY on either one of them.

... then how do you explain this?

Greg Miller's spy pic

What's the point of that slight white outlining that?s obviously on what looks like the numbers? And no, they won?t be having any outlining, it?ll be like the Sixers solid block lettering.

It could just be a material/application issue. You can see the new type of mesh there, and I believe they're adding some sort of technological advancement to the number and wordmark applique process for NBA jerseys this season.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

No, there won?t be any outlining on the numbers. What you see on those uniform t-shirts is how the actual numbers will look. I also just took another look at both the home and away uniforms and I can indeed confirm that?s ZERO GRAY on either one of them.

Greg Miller's spy pic

What's the point of that slight white outlining that?s obviously on what looks like the numbers? And no, they won?t be having any outlining, it?ll be like the Sixers solid block lettering.

It could just be a material/application issue. You can see the new type of mesh there, and I believe they're adding some sort of technological advancement to the number and wordmark applique process for NBA jerseys this season.

My Jazz being the first to try something new? Don?t hold your breath to have it catch on with the rest of the league! thicon_lol.gif

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Greg Miller's spy pic

My Jazz being the first to try something new? Don?t hold your breath to have it catch on with the rest of the league! thicon_lol.gif

I believe adidas' new material advancements are being implemented leaguewide, much as they have been with their World Cup soccer and college football programs.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I'm watching a draft-eve special on ESPN right now, and among most things I've seen them use the Jazz's mountain logo as thier main graphic (ugh) as well as Golden State's new logo. I'm assuming they're using the new Clippers logo as well, but since the changes are so minimal I honestly can't tell a difference.

But two other things caught my eye that is messing with me. I'm assuming this could just be the graphic presentation and nothing more, but I just want to make sure - the royal blue used on the Mavericks' graphic looks much darker than normal (and no, they weren't using navy blue, I could certainly tell a difference in blues between other teams with navy). Again, just making sure, did the Mavs change a shade on thier secondary blue? And the other thing was on the Phoenix graphic, it almost looks like the grey outline around the shooting sun logo was removed (like the 1993-2000 logo, no outline) and that the wordmark was changed from white to grey. Are my eyes bugging out on me?

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

It seems that in the NBA, it's more often than not you see franchises more or less adopt their alternate logos as their primaries. I believe the NBA charges a huge fee to change the primary logo, so franchises get around this by designing alternates and using those as the primaries, like Utah's J-Note.

At least, that's my theory.

I'm watching a draft-eve special on ESPN right now, and among most things I've seen them use the Jazz's mountain logo as thier main graphic (ugh) as well as Golden State's new logo. I'm assuming they're using the new Clippers logo as well, but since the changes are so minimal I honestly can't tell a difference.

But two other things caught my eye that is messing with me. I'm assuming this could just be the graphic presentation and nothing more, but I just want to make sure - the royal blue used on the Mavericks' graphic looks much darker than normal (and no, they weren't using navy blue, I could certainly tell a difference in blues between other teams with navy). Again, just making sure, did the Mavs change a shade on thier secondary blue? And the other thing was on the Phoenix graphic, it almost looks like the grey outline around the shooting sun logo was removed (like the 1993-2000 logo, no outline) and that the wordmark was changed from white to grey. Are my eyes bugging out on me?

I noticed it too. ESPN didn't use the re-colored Cavs logo, however.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

It seems that in the NBA, it's more often than not you see franchises more or less adopt their alternate logos as their primaries. I believe the NBA charges a huge fee to change the primary logo, so franchises get around this by designing alternates and using those as the primaries, like Utah's J-Note.

It's actually a fact that often gets passed off as a legend here. However, I know where to find the story now, so whenever this comes up (I'm guessing this is the second time in this thread) I can post this:

Halfway through Page 10 of "Atlanta Hawks to be completely re-branded in '07-08", DEAD! posted an Atlanta Journal-Constitution story from June 24, 2007:
Changing the logo was as involved as changing the uniform.

Because logos are ubiquitous around the NBA, the league assesses a $500,000 fee if a team abandons its primary logo. The Hawks avoided that charge by retaining their 12-year-old logo of a mostly red hawk clutching a basketball, albeit changing the typeface and the secondary colors (out with yellow, black and brown; in with blue, silver and white).

That familiar logo, with the colors updated, will continue to be prominently used, including on the Philips Arena court. But it is not the logo that will appear on the new uniforms — or on the caps that Thursday's draft picks will immediately don.

It's actually a fact that often gets passed off as a legend here. However, I know where to find the story now, so whenever this comes up (I'm guessing this is the second time in this thread) I can post this:

Halfway through Page 10 of "Atlanta Hawks to be completely re-branded in '07-08", DEAD! posted an Atlanta Journal-Constitution story from June 24, 2007:

Because logos are ubiquitous around the NBA, the league assesses a $500,000 fee if a team abandons its primary logo. The Hawks avoided that charge by retaining their 12-year-old logo of a mostly red hawk clutching a basketball, albeit changing the typeface and the secondary colors (out with yellow, black and brown; in with blue, silver and white).

That familiar logo, with the colors updated, will continue to be prominently used, including on the Philips Arena court. But it is not the logo that will appear on the new uniforms ? or on the caps that Thursday's draft picks will immediately don.

It?s too bad we can?t find the actual link to this article, instead of an old record on the board.

That familiar logo, with the colors updated, will continue to be prominently used, including on the Philips Arena court. But it is not the logo that will appear on the new uniforms ? or on the caps that Thursday's draft picks will immediately don.

It?s too bad we can?t find the actual link to this article, instead of an old record on the board.

As an avid Hawks fan I remember reading the article. The fine is indeed $500,000. Its to cover the cost of getting rid of everything with the old mark on it and changing the machines to stitch/print the new logo. I think its stupid on both levels for the league to inpliment such a stupid fine and for the teams to not just suck it up and make the primary fit the rest of the brand.

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

Not to get too ?nit picky? but as a Jazz fan and a perfectionist, I have to point out the following. Look at how sloppy they got with lining all the ball elements up! Yet another example of how my team is LAZY!!! thBangHead.gif

2010-11_Jazz_Note_Ball.png

This is going to be like the arrow in Fed-Ex for me now...won't be able to look at the logo without seeing it!

It's even worse here:

utahjazzsecondary.png

87Redskins.png

Not to get too "nit picky" but as a Jazz fan and a perfectionist, I have to point out the following. Look at how sloppy they got with lining all the ball elements up! Yet another example of how my team is LAZY!!! thBangHead.gif

This is going to be like the arrow in Fed-Ex for me now...won't be able to look at the logo without seeing it!

It's even worse here:

utahjazzsecondary.png

I have a theory regarding this...I'm thinking that the person who originally traced this logo did so from a printed sheet. Those of you who work closely in or with print shops could explain this better than I can, but it looks like to me that the Green plate was printed slightly higher (i.e., off) than the Gold and (original) Purple plates. And then, when the responsible party traced it to convert it into raster form, they didn't clean it up properly.

And the mistakes keep getting carried over.

Not to get too "nit picky" but as a Jazz fan and a perfectionist, I have to point out the following. Look at how sloppy they got with lining all the ball elements up! Yet another example of how my team is LAZY!!! thBangHead.gif

It's even worse here:

utahjazzsecondary.png

I have a theory regarding this...I'm thinking that the person who originally traced this logo did so from a printed sheet. Those of you who work closely in or with print shops could explain this better than I can, but it looks like to me that the Green plate was printed slightly higher (i.e., off) than the Gold and (original) Purple plates. And then, when the responsible party traced it to convert it into raster form, they didn't clean it up properly.

And the mistakes keep getting carried over.

Do you think it?s worth bringing to Randy Rigby?s attention? Any one of us could recreate that logo without those errors in minimal time, which in my opinion, makes the logo even worse...it's such an easy fix!

Archived