Australia Unveils New Hockey Jerseys

IronChefShark

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the netherlands use orange, italy uses light blue, new zealand and fiji use black, and you will soon see in my international concept thread that a certain middle eastern nation uses a different color then from what is on thier flag, at least for soccer anyways

Got the info below from the Prime Minister's website, sorry, still can't tell you WHY we use green and gold...

"Green and gold were proclaimed Australia?s national colours by the Governor-General on 19 April 1984. Prior to the proclamation Australia had no official colours. Three colour combinations traditionally had claim to be Australia?s national colours: red, white and blue; blue and gold; and green and gold.

The colours red, white and blue were featured in the first Coat of Arms of the Commonwealth in 1908 and are the colours of the Australian national flag.

The colours blue and gold have heraldic significance as they are the colours of the crest in the 1912 (present) Commonwealth Coat of Arms.

The colours green and gold gained wide popularity and acceptance as the traditional national colours in Australian and international sporting events since before Federation and have been associated with many great sporting achievements since."

I can't believe a whole set of folks looked at this, and decided it was good,a nd should represent their country.

Good gawd.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I didn't realize that you had to introduce yourself in a sports logo forum... but Hi I'm oddball and I'm odd... So the formalities over, on to buisness... to 55, I just tried to post a little info on the subject that I got from my sister whose roommate was from Australia going to University of Wyoming, and that is what she was told as far as the colors. Excuse me for mistakingly calling them provinces and not states, I didn't realize it was that big of a deal. I mean how many countries are out there and one has provinces, the next states, and the next territories or whatever? I didn't mean to offend anyone, and to call someone a "Moron" because they made a mistake is way uncalled for.

introducing yourself isn't required, but it's just like one of those "getting to know you" sessions. Makes the community here less of just nameless guys( or guy/girl/robot mixes) and more of a real group.

As for the states thing, 55 is an Australian so it's personal to him. Not a biggie.

What's with the light green? That just adds insult to injury on this jersey.

P.S. I finally got around to changing my avatar after about a year. It's the CCM logo, but with my intials. Thought it rather creative myself.

To answer the question as to why Australia uses Green and Yellow(Gold) for their national teams, and not the obvious red, white, and blue... well it's quite simple: The provinces can't decide on what colors to use (since each one has it's own colors), so they chose Green and Yellow so as not to tick anyone off!

Interesting, but untrue. The main reason for adopting colours other than red, white and blue was the fact that post-Federation, those colours made us look like mother England instead of the independent nation we were, and our growing sense of separation from England led us to adopt a unique national colour scheme. The colours are thought to have been taken from the wattle, which is our national floral emblem.

I didn't realize that you had to introduce yourself in a sports logo forum... but Hi I'm oddball and I'm odd... So the formalities over, on to buisness... to 55, I just tried to post a little info on the subject that I got from my sister whose roommate was from Australia going to University of Wyoming, and that is what she was told as far as the colors. Excuse me for mistakingly calling them provinces and not states, I didn't realize it was that big of a deal. I mean how many countries are out there and one has provinces, the next states, and the next territories or whatever? I didn't mean to offend anyone, and to call someone a "Moron" because they made a mistake is way uncalled for.

Oh! When I said introduce yourself I meant "Hi, I'm (insert board name) and I'm a new here" not a whole life story of your self :D But anyhow, welcome! :welcome:

I saw, I came, I left.

Australia's sporting colours have been green and gold since the turn of last century, when Australia became a country (1-1-01).

As a part of the Commonwealth we were mostly playing sport against other Commonwealth nations.

Therfore, we'd play England, who wore Red, White and Blue & New Zealand who wore Red, White and Blue.

Australia chose the colours furthest removed from those, which happily coincided with the golden wattle and the gum tree, national symbols of Australia.

New Zealand chose black because that was all that was left of the major dyes of the day.

Plenty of Commonwealth nations don't have their country flag colours in their sporting attire. Obviously, all flags were once under the Union Jack.

India, South Africa, New Zealand, Fiji to name a few.

And CRIKEY, that hockey shirt is a flamin' shocker.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Archived