The MLB according to raysox

raysox

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've tried some things on Los Angeles, but finished the O's, and Tigers before. I'll post Detroit later

14/30 Baltimore Orioles

I wanted to do a throwback to previous sets, and I think some new things, mixed with old would work. The orange is slightly lighter, I wanted a lighter set as a whole. I used a Oriole head logo instead of the full body. This was the one before the well known one, look it up. I like the Maryland flag logo as a sleeve patch. The primary is the same logo with the bird head on it. Also, I put the O's logo on the bird cap for effect.

I really like the O's jerseys now, but I'd make a few changes. The piping is the same, but the O's logo is on the cap instead of the bird. The road is the same, with the bird logo on the cap. I made an orange alt instead of a black alt. I went with white things, with black outlines instead of the other way around. Also made a concept cap to make it lighter.

Orioles.png

OriolesJrs.png

Very good. I love it that you made them a lighter team. I'm sick of all of these teams with black alts, even if the team is "eligible" to have one, like the Orioles are. There aren't many teams with orange alternate unis, only the Giants, I think. If the Orioles were to have one, it wouldn't be such a bad choice.

Also, I am a fan of that O's cap. Maybe use that on the road cap, as well. That way, the oriole head can be reserved for the alternate uniform.

The oriole head in the primary looks off-center. Is that what you wanted, or could you possibly fix that?

Overall, great concept. Your concepts have inspired me, and I will use some of your techniques in my upcoming Minnesota Amateur Baseball Association Concept Series (sorry for the plug) :).

Punch9

Very good. I love it that you made them a lighter team. I'm sick of all of these teams with black alts, even if the team is "eligible" to have one, like the Orioles are. There aren't many teams with orange alternate unis, only the Giants, I think. If the Orioles were to have one, it wouldn't be such a bad choice.

Also, I am a fan of that O's cap. Maybe use that on the road cap, as well. That way, the oriole head can be reserved for the alternate uniform.

The oriole head in the primary looks off-center. Is that what you wanted, or could you possibly fix that?

Overall, great concept. Your concepts have inspired me, and I will use some of your techniques in my upcoming Minnesota Amateur Baseball Association Concept Series (sorry for the plug) :).

Punch9

Will there be a Winona team in your league? (Please say yes.)

Not sure about the O's hat being a main hat. I think it would be better for an alternate, but other than that this is great.

nlog42.jpg

Thanks Dolphins91 for the jersey avatars.

Actually, that is centered. On inkscape you can center it, but you probably know that. The cap extends far so it looks that way.

I see that there is equal white space between the edge of each side of the logo and the outside circle, but it still seems off-center to me. It's probably because the main part of the logo is on the left-to-middle part of the circle.

But, yes, I now agree that it is centered.

EDIT - Yeah, I know that you can center things. I watched all of the Inkscape Tutorial videos on this site :).

Punch9

Punch9

Will there be a Winona team in your league? (Please say yes.)

Not sure about the O's hat being a main hat. I think it would be better for an alternate, but other than that this is great.

They are not in my original plans. So far, I have four teams in mind, but if my series is successful, I will add Winona to the list.

12/32 Cleveland Indians

I went to a Rays-Indians game recently, and the whole time I was noticing how lame the Tribe's set was. Chief Wahoo has random strokes on the feather, and teeth. The outlines are inconsistent, too. I have a Wahoo vector, but it was beyond repair, that means I had to trace it all by myself I fixed everything I mentioned, and added some white to the feather as an update. I dropped the block script/cap logo. I used the cursive fonts, with the C from Cleveland in a new hat logo. Simply a C with the feather. Lastly on the logos, I made the red more red, than a pinkish colour. The jerseys aren't much different. One thing I noticed was the NOB were weird in the sense that there was too many layers. Though, it looked better this way. For some reason, I thought they had a navy alt with the primary logo on the chest, turns out they didn't. So I just made one!

Indians.png

IndiansJrs.png

I really, REALLY wanted to put Sabathia, Lee, and James on the jerseys. C&C

This is a very nice design. I'd be happy if the Indians wore something like this.

The only thing I'd change is how awkward Wahoo's teeth look with straight lines like that. I do prefer the teeth as they are now, otherwise this set is really nice.

6fQjS3M.png

15/30 Detroit Tigers

Now, this might be a little radical. I moved away from the classic Tigers look, and took it into a direction I thought would also be cool. I like the D primary logo better than the D on the cap, so I used it here. I also threw in some outlines to tie it in with the other logos. I realized the cursive scripts weren't doing much, and there wasn't any old English scripts yet. The primary is a throwback to the logo from the 70s-80s. Finally, I used the turn of the century tiger head as a patch, and on the primary. But everyone does that, since its awesome. On the scripts, I swapped the outlines. Currently, the script is blue/orange/white. And the white clashes with the grey on the road. Same on the jersey.

To me, the jerseys are odd because the piping is JUST on the chest. That just seems unbalanced. I also wanted to implement the colour orange more than they do now. The caps have the same pattern with a white logo on the home and alt, then orange on the road.

Tigers.png

TigersJrs.png

I have the A's done too.

The script just screams Minor League to me. The inclusion of orange on the home jersey is a bit of a downgrade, IMO, as well as the hats. Really can't do much improving on the Tigers jerseys, coming from a Tiger fan's perspective.

ayr02r.gif

I don't think, because thinking implies uncertainty. Therefore, I KNOW.

16/30 Oakland A's

Sorry Bmac, I had this done before you posted yours.

Not sure about you, but I like the whole white elephant story, and I think it's a shame that the elephant isn't used much. So I brought it back! BAM. I just ran the script over the ball on the primary. I also like the A's cap logo I used better than the current, like the Tigers logo. I got rid of the outlines on a green background, just because white outline with yellow is weak. I had to do something with the A's jersey. Theres no design on them now, so I threw some piping on the sleeve cuffs, but thats it, no neck. I really like how it turned out. Also only used one cap, instead of many caps without much difference.

As.png

AsJrs.png

12/32 Cleveland Indians

I went to a Rays-Indians game recently, and the whole time I was noticing how lame the Tribe's set was. Chief Wahoo has random strokes on the feather, and teeth. The outlines are inconsistent, too. I have a Wahoo vector, but it was beyond repair, that means I had to trace it all by myself I fixed everything I mentioned, and added some white to the feather as an update. I dropped the block script/cap logo. I used the cursive fonts, with the C from Cleveland in a new hat logo. Simply a C with the feather. Lastly on the logos, I made the red more red, than a pinkish colour. The jerseys aren't much different. One thing I noticed was the NOB were weird in the sense that there was too many layers. Though, it looked better this way. For some reason, I thought they had a navy alt with the primary logo on the chest, turns out they didn't. So I just made one!

Indians.png

IndiansJrs.png

I really, REALLY wanted to put Sabathia, Lee, and James on the jerseys. C&C

This is a very nice design. I'd be happy if the Indians wore something like this.

The only thing I'd change is how awkward Wahoo's teeth look with straight lines like that. I do prefer the teeth as they are now, otherwise this set is really nice.

Few things:

1. The Wahoo teeth are odd, but cleaning him up a bit isn't that bad of an idea.

2. The Feather C seems really cartoony (that style C on it's own is cartoony enough). I much prefer the block C they are starting to use quite prominently. It's classy and very simple, but with the dark red on deep navy looks awesome IMO.

3. I'm not sure I'm into the chest logo idea, but it doesn't look bad by any means.

I like your work, just wanted to share some personal preferences on what you tried out with my team.

Their current home hats are the best in baseball IMO and defiantely shouldnt be changed. And taking the white outline off the green jerseys is a big downgrade

I have to disagree. There's not enough contrast between yellow and white and (for the most part) whenever one is outlined with the other it ends up looking cluttered and unnecessary. The script would be much easier to read if the A's executed it like this.

I would only like the Tampa Bay ones if you changed it back to Devil Rays. Then you got me sold.

Lookin good so far, I'm not a big throwback style fan but you have done some good work with combining modern and classic.

Can't wait to see the Pirates.

2ly2w09.jpg

Archived