Marlins ditching teal in new color scheme

Dexter Morgan

x1000. I think I remember the owner saying something along the lines of he wanted to go with "what sells, and that's silver and black" or something like that--then orange gets mixed in there.

You'd think that, with the guy having a thing for artwork, he'd have a bit more of a color sense. Guess not.

I have been thinking about this point for a while. In baseball, all merchandising revenue is shared. Why would teams try to repackage their look to sell more gear if they are only going to get 1/30 of the extra money generated? Why bother?

If I were an owner, I would look for a color scheme that, while not garish, would be 100% unique and dinstinctive. Since I wouldn't be getting much money off of going with "trendy" colors, I would want to establish a strong identity that was unmistakable for my team. If I owned the Marlins, they would wear the 1993 unis full time, with a aqua alt looking like the orignal BP jersey once per week. I am not sure I would even keep the black cap.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Creole blue, silver, orange, and black. Make it happen.

Hallelujah. MLB is dying for a team with a blue cap that isn't royal blue or navy blue. The "Creole blue" is perfect. Miami is a bright, sunny place and it's the perfect color to match that. (It's a reasonable facsimile of the water you'll see at the beach.)

I'd drop the black entirely. I know it would never happen because it "sells" (despite the fact that you never see anyone wearing Marlins caps anywhere) but dark/black uniforms make no sense for a hot, sunny beach town like Miami.

I have been thinking about this point for a while. In baseball, all merchandising revenue is shared.

Is it? I thought there was an exception for merchandise sold at the team stores (like there has been in the NFL).

There is, but I didn't mention it since I figured that was such a small consideration.
OldRomanSig2.jpg

I don't know. Teal is more of a 90's color anyway. They are only about a decade late. Most teams (SEA, TB, ARZ to name a few) ditched the teal a few years ago and have great looks now. It's just a shame that it literally took CHANGING THE TEAM NAME for ownership to realize that teal is no longer popular with fans these days. I am not a Marlins fan by ANY stretch of the imagination, but Im glad their ownership finally woke up and realized that its 2010.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

To me, teal is only a 90s color since we hadn't really seen it in uniforms until the 90s and then it exploded and was the trendy color for too many teams (baby blue is that color now).

I think teal is a great color, perfect for a team in Miami. As long as it doesn't become the "it" color again, a few of the right teams using it is nice.

ownership to realize that teal is no longer popular with fans these days.

Reports here would indicate that what precious few Marlins fans there are in/around Miami prefer the teal to the black. Understandably so! What kind of masochistic chucklehead wears a black wool hat in a Miami summer?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't know. Teal is more of a 90's color anyway. They are only about a decade late. Most teams (SEA, TB, ARZ to name a few) ditched the teal a few years ago and have great looks now. It's just a shame that it literally took CHANGING THE TEAM NAME for ownership to realize that teal is no longer popular with fans these days. I am not a Marlins fan by ANY stretch of the imagination, but Im glad their ownership finally woke up and realized that its 2010.

That is silly. First off, the Devil Rays didn't have teal as a color (unless there was a tiny bit as a gradient). Secondly, none of the teams you mentioned have a great look now. The Mariners look was perfect before with the teal because it wasn't an overpowering amount. I never liked the old Arizona jerseys, but the colors were distinctive AND they won a world championship in them. They should have gotten new unis but kept the same colors. The Rays' jerseys are currently decently generic, but their colors were better before the rebrand.

Other teams stupidly getting rid of a color doesn't mean that all teams have to. There is nothing forward thinking about colors. If a combo looked good good 15 years ago it looks good now. The Marlins are going to switch to a very distinctive color scheme (orange and black) which is already owned by two established teams, each with over 50 years of history wearing those colors. This is a horrible choice.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

A lot of ballparks feature green seats because there being so much grass, it almost becomes a 'neutral' color at a baseball stadium.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The Marlins had a great color scheme and uniform, once. But they've been systematically chipping away from it, downgrading the teal in favor of black, adding unnecessary outlines and in general cluttering up the uniform.

This is only the latest in a long line of poor design choices. Go back to the originals, teal caps and all, and you've got a winner.

Bingo! Simply rename the franchise the Miami Marlins, swap-out "Florida" for "Miami" and the "F" for an "M" on garments/merchandise, and go back to the team's original uniforms. Done. Perfection. Call it a day.

Isn't it part of the new stadium agreement that the team will be renamed the "Miami Marlins" in 2012?

ESPNUAkron.jpg2002-2006 ALUMNI 2007-2009 ESPNUSeton.jpg

Hallelujah. MLB is dying for a team with a blue cap that isn't royal blue or navy blue. The "Creole blue" is perfect. Miami is a bright, sunny place and it's the perfect color to match that. (It's a reasonable facsimile of the water you'll see at the beach.)

I'd drop the black entirely. I know it would never happen because it "sells" (despite the fact that you never see anyone wearing Marlins caps anywhere) but dark/black uniforms make no sense for a hot, sunny beach town like Miami.

Creole Blue paired with orange would look great and make sense. Just make it a bright yellowish orange.

blue_marlin.jpg

Maybe the royal blue seats in the renderings of the new stadium are an indication of what color they are leaning towards.

Meh. Logically that makes sense, but it's not a lock. In fact, it points out one of my biggest gripes about Miller Park. The seats and structural work are green, while the team is blue. The outfield fencing used to be green, until it got changed for either the All Star Game or Mr. 3000.

Minute Maid Park had the same problem. Everything from the seats, dugouts, and signs were green with green being one of the few colors the astros have never used in their color scheme. The dugout tops were switched to red for the all star game and all the signs and marking were switched to red about 2 years ago.

"A lot of ballparks feature green seats because there being so much grass, it almost becomes a 'neutral' color at a baseball stadium."

I remember this from when Enron Field opened. There was a piece on the new team colors (black/brick) and why the park had green seats. The reason was the neutrality of it.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Done:

MiamiMarlins_PF1_2012_SOL_SRGB.png

Holy crap, that is a sweet color combo. Good job putting them all together to see, ColorWerx.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I wonder if the fans will just reject merchandise without teal. It's happened in other sports and other cities.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I wonder if the fans will just reject merchandise without teal. It's happened in other sports and other cities.

That's about the only hope we have left. I honestly don't understand the concept of ruining an established identity for the sake of being "modern."

Not only that, but since so many of the uniform redesigns of the 2000s were downright ugly, I'm not expecting the new look to be anything worthwhile.

That's about the only hope we have left. I honestly don't understand the concept of ruining an established identity for the sake of being "modern."

Not only that, but since so many of the uniform redesigns of the 2000s were downright ugly, I'm not expecting the new look to be anything worthwhile.

Rays made a big improvement....

Don't read too much into the color of the seats in the ballpark rendering. The renderings of Citi Field had blue outfield fences and some of the first renderings of new Busch Stadium had green seats.

Archived