Marlins ditching teal in new color scheme

Dexter Morgan

Creole blue, silver, orange, and black. Make it happen.

Done:

MiamiMarlins_PF1_2012_SOL_SRGB.png

That's beautiful. The blue could even appeal to some of the teal-huggers who don't want to let go of the team's "history".

Best of all, it's unique to MLB. I do think orange will be a part of the colors scheme.

87Redskins.png

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if the fans will just reject merchandise without teal. It's happened in other sports and other cities.

That's about the only hope we have left. I honestly don't understand the concept of ruining an established identity for the sake of being "modern."

Not only that, but since so many of the uniform redesigns of the 2000s were downright ugly, I'm not expecting the new look to be anything worthwhile.

Rays made a big improvement....

That's VERY debatable.

I'd try to debate it, but thinking about the current Rays' set is making me sleepy.

The "Rays" really are a failure. Not only the name change, but they ditched a unique look in favor of boring, generic nothing.

hattq.jpg

That logo is awful, bland, and the letters don't even interlock! I thought it's a baseball rule that multiple letters on a hat must always interlock in some clever fashion. Very uninspired. And what is a "ray?" I'm assuming it's supposed to be a ray of healthy Florida sunshine, but they don't even get that playing in a dome!

This Marlins thing seems like a mistake, as well. Why do teams insist on making themselves look worse?

The "Rays" really are a failure. Not only the name change, but they ditched a unique look in favor of boring, generic nothing.

hattq.jpg

That logo is awful, bland, and the letters don't even interlock! I thought it's a baseball rule that multiple letters on a hat must always interlock in some clever fashion. Very uninspired. And what is a "ray?" I'm assuming it's supposed to be a ray of healthy Florida sunshine, but they don't even get that playing in a dome!

This Marlins thing seems like a mistake, as well. Why do teams insist on making themselves look worse?

Because people are idiots, remember? :P

hattq.jpg

Imma leave the name thing alone--that horse done been beat to death and back--but my own personal conspiracy theory hypothesis behind the change to the current colors was a/ to jump on the trendy theme train (that being navy, powder, and yellow--what itty bitty bit they use, anyway), and b/ to better connect with all the snowbird Yankee fans that populate the greater Tampa Bay area in the hopes of pulling them into the Rays' fanbase.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I don't doubt at all that Point B was part of their change, but it sure is silly, isn't it?

"I'm a Yanks fan, just like my dad, and my dad's dad, and his dad before him. I'm so lucky to have shared my baseball experiences with my family and the greatest sports team in the world. But I dunno, man, when the Rays started wearing dark blue hats, not entirely unlike the Yankees, who also wear dark blue hats, that's when I knew there might be something to this whole Rays thing."

We didn't really need Florida teams in the major leagues.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This is the logo shown last night during the Marlins Telecast....any ideas fellas? The last color is a hunter green.

0610001945.jpg

Seems to jive with the Red Grooms centerfield piece and the colors in the aquarium.

I see the new colors here, seriously....Red, Orange, Yellow, Creole Blue, and Hunter green.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

I'm hoping for a tequila sunrise uniform or racing stripes with that rainbow color scheme, if the Marlins actually use it.

As for the Rays, they never should have ditched this hat:

tampa-bay-devil-rays-salem-keizernike-shadow-volcanoes-59fifty-fitted-hats.jpg

(on the left side)

If traditional embroidery could represent gradients as well as graphic design programs do, the (Devil) Rays might have kept this look longer:

TampaBayDevilRays_HCP1_1998_SOL.png

Don't read too much into the color of the seats in the ballpark rendering. The renderings of Citi Field had blue outfield fences and some of the first renderings of new Busch Stadium had green seats.

David Samson said the seats will be that shade of blue.

1997 | 2003

Don't read too much into the color of the seats in the ballpark rendering. The renderings of Citi Field had blue outfield fences and some of the first renderings of new Busch Stadium had green seats.

David Samson said the seats will be that shade of blue.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info!

When I first saw the Rays new logos and uniforms, I was wildly underwhelmed. However, if you look at the AL East, there are 3 iconic teams with classic looks, and previously 2 teams with cartoony, modern looks. When the Jays, with their unique modern look, play the Yankees, they don't seem to fit at all. That was how the Devil Rays were. They featured gradiants and then futuristic fonts. So, when new ownership took over, they decided to go with a classic look, which is a bit bland. However, it is far more timeless than previous looks. I wish they used the columbia blue and even the yellow a little more to give their look a little more zest, but I understand the move. You can say they shouldn't have ditched the green, but I understand the "bland" look.

That being said, I hope the Marlins don't switch to a modern look. With the current trend towards retro looks with a modern flair, I would think they will go in that direction, but who knows. The ideal would be just a minor tweak, cleaning things up, while keeping the teal as an iconic color.

Creole blue, silver, orange, and black. Make it happen.

Done:

MiamiMarlins_PF1_2012_SOL_SRGB.png

Without getting too specific on the numbers, is that Creole Blue the same one the Hornets use? I've got an idea if it is...

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

EDIT: nm

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived