Record Setting Tennis

BB61

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So let me get this crazy tennis scoring straight.

First to 4 points wins a game, first to 5 games wins a set, first to 5 sets wins the match?

First to 4 points (15-30-40-Game) wins the game, must win by two.

First to 6 games wins the set, must win by two.

In women's matches, best-of-three sets wins. In men's matches, it's best-of-five.

If it a set is tied at 6 games all, then a tiebreaker game is played where the first player to reach seven points (again, must win by two) is awarded a 7-6 set victory. At Wimbledon, the French Open, and the Australian Open, the decisive set (third for women, fifth for men) cannot end in a tiebreaker. Play continues until someone wins by two games, which is why we are where we are.

And that's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.

ETA: You think this is confusing, don't even ask about World TeamTennis's OT and SuperTiebreaker rules. Yeesh.

philly.png

ETA: You think this is confusing, don't even ask about World TeamTennis's OT and SuperTiebreaker rules. Yeesh.

Is the drawing of lots involved?

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'll be pulling for UGA-alum Isner, but am also aware that, unless tomorrow's action is ended quickly, that the winner will likely have nothing left for the next opponent.

Then again, the UGA basketball team from a couple years ago wasn't supposed to win two games in one day, either.

Sic'em, Isner!

Interestingly, their opponent also finished their match today and had a (mere) 16-14 5th Set win. There could be some baaaaad tennis in that second round match.

Today, we are all otaku.

Interestingly, their opponent also finished their match today and had a (mere) 16-14 5th Set win. There could be some baaaaad tennis in that second round match.

Isner is also set to play men's doubles and that first round match has been postponed. Since he could be losing money on his accommodations, he has to try to play doubles as prize money is still at stake for his partner.

The quotes from other professionals are great:

Venus Williams: "I don’t think I’d move. I think if you moved, you lose your seat. It’s a marathon. It’s longer than a marathon.”

Roger Federer: “I have almost no words anymore watching this. It’s beyond anything I’ve ever seen and could imagine. I don’t know how their bodies must feel the next day, the next week, the next month. This is incredible tennis.”

Overall this is a "Battle of Chumps".

I just read that Isner never faced a break point in that most epic 5th set. That was 69 service games, boys and girls.

Lord have mercy...that's either really, really fantastic or really, really sad. I just don't know which one yet.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

This morning I heard that both players were supposed to play doubles today. And that the winner was scheduled to play his second round game today. Obviously that's not going to happen, but nevertheless, I think Isner's going to need to hibernate after his tourney ends.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived