Cowboys to possibly tweak uniforms

slats7

Here's a novel thought: why not just make the Cowboys' helmets match the silver-bluish-greenish pants, and get rid of the silver pants altogether?

Anyone wanna Photoshop how the helmet would look? 57% of Cowboys fans probably wouldn't even notice.

So you want to take a color that every true fan hates and have it spread like a virus to other parts of the uniform. Brilliant.

1060v1ejpg.gif

It would likely only be noticeable to the doofuses (doofi? :therock: ) on this forum, of which I proudly include myself. I've known several Cowboy fans who were completely unaware that they wore two different sets of pants, or didn't notice the two different shades of blue in their uniform.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a novel thought: why not just make the Cowboys' helmets match the silver-bluish-greenish pants, and get rid of the silver pants altogether?

Anyone wanna Photoshop how the helmet would look? 57% of Cowboys fans probably wouldn't even notice.

So you want to take a color that every true fan hates and have it spread like a virus to other parts of the uniform. Brilliant.

1060v1ejpg.gif

It would likely only be noticeable to the doofuses (doofi? :therock: ) on this forum, of which I proudly include myself. I've known several Cowboy fans who were completely unaware that they wore two different sets of pants, or didn't notice the two different shades of blue in their uniform.

Give my best to their guide dogs, then.

1060v1ejpg.gif

The simple thing for the Cowboys to do is just wear the silver road pants at home. At least they would match the helmets. Their road uniforms actually match better color balance wise. The actual colors of the current color scheme is:

Home: Silver helmets with navy blue stripes and navy blue star logo

White jerseys with royal blue numbers and stripes

SilverBlueish green pants with royal blue stripes

Royal blue socks

Road: Silver helmets with navy blue stripes and navy blue star logo

Navy blue jersey with silver numbers and stripes

Silver pants with navy stripes

Navy blue socks

1060v1ejpg.gif

seriously though... i've grown up in dallas and been here for about 20 years now... and every time i've ever mentioned the non-matching silvers... or even the non-matching blues... or even the black stripes on the sleeves... cowboys fans look at me like i'm smoking crack. they have no idea what i'm talking about.

and they normally find a way to question my heterosexuality at the same time for noticing what the team wears, and instead say something like "they've had the same uniforms forever, and they look fine to me... but anyway, that romo sure is up fer a big year, i tell you what."

i assumed it was just that the average sports fan knows very little about whats going on, rather than cowboys fans being oblivious... so it's not a slight to the fanbase, but at the same time i don't know of a single cowboys fan in my personal life (and i work in law enforcement with a ton of self-proclaimed cowboys diehards) that has any idea that the cowboys have mis-matched colors.

and for the record, metallic silver green is one of my favorite colors in all of sports. if i were the cowboys i'd go with a royal/silver-green combo. sans black or navy.

seriously though... i've grown up in dallas and been here for about 20 years now... and every time i've ever mentioned the non-matching silvers... or even the non-matching blues... or even the black stripes on the sleeves... cowboys fans look at me like i'm smoking crack. they have no idea what i'm talking about.

Which is odd, because the Cowboys exec in the news story says it's the #1 complaint among regular fans.

and they normally find a way to question my heterosexuality at the same time for noticing what the team wears, and instead say something like "they've had the same uniforms forever, and they look fine to me... but anyway, that romo sure is up fer a big year, i tell you what."

Yeah, I get that a lot. Apparently, it's not "manly" to notice :censored:ed up uniforms. For the record, the home unis haven't been "classic" since 1981 or so.

i assumed it was just that the average sports fan knows very little about whats going on, rather than cowboys fans being oblivious... so it's not a slight to the fanbase, but at the same time i don't know of a single cowboys fan in my personal life (and i work in law enforcement with a ton of self-proclaimed cowboys diehards) that has any idea that the cowboys have mis-matched colors.

Maybe they're watching in SD instead of HD. Or maybe they're under 30 and figure that's how the unis are supposed to look. Sigh.

and for the record, metallic silver green is one of my favorite colors in all of sports. if i were the cowboys i'd go with a royal/silver-green combo. sans black or navy.

The green has to go. This is Dallas, not Green Bay.

I know I've mentioned this a couple of times on this board, but I have heard that Jerry Jones himself is color-blind - which just exacerbates the problem. Apparently, a number of people have come to him over the years to fix all of this, but he can't see the issues.

Gak. The silver green is just an obnoxious tweak done to make the pants look more metallic on 1980s-vintage TVs, and that only worked under certain lighting. Go back to the original silver blue from the 60s/70s. and match it all up again. With modern fabrics the silver blue pants will truely be "silver blue" and they won't fade to odd purple-grey colors either.

The helmets first got "off" when so many players went to the MaxPro helmets that were painted on the inside of the clear shell (the shell also made the blue on the stripes and star logo look darker); the Cowboys just adopted that less blue/more silver shade with darker stripes/logos so the helmet was in-between the traditional white/silver blue uniforms and the navy/silver dark uniforms they adopted in 1981.

I've said for decades now - the Cowboys need to get off the fence and either go totally navy/silver (throw in a navy facemask while you're at it) or go back to the original metallic silver blue/dark royal blue color scheme of used from 1964-1980.

Interesting. What also may have contributed to the Silver-Blue of the helmets changing was the fact that for years, the Silver-Blue was a custom color - even after the NFL adopted Pantone colors as a standard around 1980 or so. Once "blended" metallic became available (mixing solid colors with the metallic bases) in the Pantone library around 1987, they picked a metallic that was close to the original, but not quite there.

Gak. The silver green is just an obnoxious tweak done to make the pants look more metallic on 1980s-vintage TVs, and that only worked under certain lighting. Go back to the original silver blue from the 60s/70s. and match it all up again. With modern fabrics the silver blue pants will truely be "silver blue" and they won't fade to odd purple-grey colors either.

The helmets first got "off" when so many players went to the MaxPro helmets that were painted on the inside of the clear shell (the shell also made the blue on the stripes and star logo look darker); the Cowboys just adopted that less blue/more silver shade with darker stripes/logos so the helmet was in-between the traditional white/silver blue uniforms and the navy/silver dark uniforms they adopted in 1981.

I've said for decades now - the Cowboys need to get off the fence and either go totally navy/silver (throw in a navy facemask while you're at it) or go back to the original metallic silver blue/dark royal blue color scheme of used from 1964-1980.

Interesting. What also may have contributed to the Silver-Blue of the helmets changing was the fact that for years, the Silver-Blue was a custom color - even after the NFL adopted Pantone colors as a standard around 1980 or so. Once "blended" metallic became available (mixing solid colors with the metallic bases) in the Pantone library around 1987, they picked a metallic that was close to the original, but not quite there.

The Cowboy helmet has gotten much less blue over the years, to the point where it's almost silverish gray. That will be a problem if they return to metallic blue pants, as hoped.

coverromo1.jpg

Another thing about the new pants: they need to be "matte" like the Giants and 49ers, not shiny and spandexy like we've seen in recent years.

The Cowboy helmet has gotten much less blue over the years, to the point where it's almost silverish gray. That will be a problem if they return to metallic blue pants, as hoped.

Another thing about the new pants: they need to be "matte" like the Giants and 49ers, not shiny and spandexy like we've seen in recent years.

I don't think it's a matter of "returning" to a certain color; rather it's picking a color that works well across the board.

1060v1ejpg.gif

Same for Saints fans. "What do you mean the golds don't match?" :rolleyes:

reggie-bush.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

ColeJ is right on about most fans not even being aware of the color issues. ive been a 'Boys fan my whole life, before i found these boards i thought i was teh only one who noticed, LOL. the original article was also posted on a Cowboys fan forum where i presented one of my uniform concepts for some real world testing. most of the fans seemed to love this... :)

5y4u4x.png

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I don't think it's a matter of "returning" to a certain color; rather it's picking a color that works well across the board.

It's not a high priority that the helmet and the pants match perfectly, but they can't go with the current road pants at home with white jerseys. That'd be too plain. The Raiders do something similar (white shirts; silver pants), but only for road games.

ColeJ is right on about most fans not even being aware of the color issues. ive been a 'Boys fan my whole life, before i found these boards i thought i was teh only one who noticed, LOL. the original article was also posted on a Cowboys fan forum where i presented one of my uniform concepts for some real world testing. most of the fans seemed to love this... :)

5y4u4x.png

Wow. About five years ago, I came up with a similar concept...I like your idea of putting the older-style numerals on them...

Here's mine, only using this new PANTONE Premium Metallic color for the Silver-Blue:

DallasCowboys_PropUN_04.png

coverromo1.jpg

I don't know. You can't compare two photos taken decades apart, one using film and other likely digital. Way too many variables. You want to prove this, you need a shot of an old Cowboys' helmet sitting next to a new Cowboys' helmet in the same lighting.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I disagree about that. I think the pants and helmet should both be shiny. The Giants' look is awful, with matte pants and ultra matte jerseys, but helmets that sparkle like 24 kt gold.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

coverromo1.jpg

I don't know. You can't compare two photos taken decades apart, one using film and other likely digital. Way too many variables. You want to prove this, you need a shot of an old Cowboys' helmet sitting next to a new Cowboys' helmet in the same lighting.

I have eyes. Do you seriously think the modern helmets look as blue as the one Bob Hayes is wearing? Even the guys at Helmet Hut have noticed:

The original distinctive Cowboy "silver blue" paint hue is still brilliantly evident (in subsequent years the team has virtually eliminated the blue tint from their official helmet color).

Archived