MiLB Re-Brands: Winston-Salem Dash

bohob

Okay, let me start with what wrong with the current logo. The colors are uninspired and the text is blurry. But worst of all, it looks like a certain part of the male body. I decided to develop an idea that I has in my head for a while. Replacing the baseball with a giraffe. I chose the giraffe because its neck is long and could imply a dash in an abstract sense. The primary logo places the giraffe under the DASH wordmark, which is 100% custom, and WINSTON-SALEM appears above. The secondary is the giraffe head streaking through the D, and the tertiary is an interlocking WS lettermark. I have also included wordmarks for the jerseys. Thanks in advance for any constructive C&C I may get.

dash_id.jpg

Agree with broseph on both points. I think you need to show more of the top "S" leg and more of the top of all legs on the "W" on the monogram, as it's hard to tell at first glance what letters they are. I love the giraffe though, it's something different and really fresh. Great job.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Great work of design here, but the only issue I have is how a giraffe connotates "Dash"...

When I hear Dash, I think fast. The first few animals to come to mind are the cheetah, an antelope/gazelle, and a horse. Something about a giraffe doesn't make me think Dash.

bohob, I love this. That silly "Dash" identity they currently use is awful (they should have gone back to "Spirits," but I digress...), and I love your take on it. I think the giraffe is a bit of a stretch conceptually, but at least it's something more concrete than a phallic baseball-and-text, and your renderings look fantastic. The colors are original, and I like the type. As others have mentioned, the WS logo needs some tweaking. But all in all I really love this.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

AstroBull, my decision to go with the giraffe was based on the neck creating a good dash-like shape. I could have went with a cheetah or a horse, but in the end, I wanted to work with the giraffe.

I have updated the WS logo, extending the W so the negative space between the legs of it was more clear. I have also included some cap concepts. I have some uniform option in the works, but would like to get some C&C on the caps first.

dash_id2.jpg

dash_caps.jpg

Great update. The WS logo is vastly improved. It's still a bit awkward, but you've probably come up with the best possible solution.

And, dang... that's a sexy set of caps. I can't say enough how great those colors are together.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

This is very nice!

I would personally put the stress on the gold and brown. The green doesn't seem to fit in too well.

Also, I'm kind of surprised that no one mentioned this but... I think the drop shadow on the wordmarks should be on the left side of the letters. With the shadow where it is, it gives the impression that the wordmark is moving in two opposite directions. If the shadow is on the opposite side it would better convey a feeling of motion (toward the right, like the giraffe.)

In other words the wordmark is showing movement to the right, while the drop shadow shows motion to the left.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

While I think the giraffe is very well done, I agree with AstroBull and leggman that it makes zero sense for the nickname "Dash". Giraffes are sort of..okay VERY goofy looking when they run, and not something I would consider "dashing", in any sense of the word.

From eHow.com:

Giraffes are tall, strong and fast. They can be seen gracefully galloping across the savanna at speeds of up to 35 mph. However, because the giraffe tires easily, it is more of a sprinter than a long-distance runner.

I would think that means it's perfect for a team called the "Dash". It's not like I chose a snail.

@ LEWJ: Good catch. I thought it looked awkward at first, but it's growing on me.

@ Lights Out: Check the NBA Re-Brands link in my sig. You'll see a Lakers giraffe.

I'm almost done with the uni's and will get them up soon. Updated images below.

dash_id3.jpg

dash_caps2.jpg

Archived