China National Football Team

Shmee

So I was looking at a bunch of national team badges and found that China's is lacking. They rarely even put the thing on their jerseys. Most China kits I've found have the national flag on the front instead of a badge. And so, an idea was born. I tried to put together a badge that the team can be proud to wear and that draws its influence, like so many countries' do, from the national flag. I came up with the following. I was going for simple and timeless. I'll let everyone else decide if I managed it.

I haven't posted any concepts on here in quite a while, so I'm excited to see what people think. If it's well-received, I may do a few more.

Here is the old logo for reference.

17948_hp.jpg

And here is my concept. The Chinese text translates to Chinese Football Association.

china-badge.png

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

When did China win 4 World Cups?

Just kidding. That's a great upgrade on what they had before and definitely says 'China,' nothing about it particularly screams soccer and/or football to me though.

I just love it! I like how it manages to incorporate the stars from the flag in such a natural way. It takes a few seconds to realize that those aren't just random design elements. I also like how you didn't include the necessary clip-art ball there, we have enough of those.

In a way I kind of want to see a third color there, maybe black, but don't know how it could be incorporated. Or maybe there could be a black border around it when it's on a red shirt. Or maybe not. It's quite perfect that way.

When did China win 4 World Cups?

To be honest, this was inspired in part by the debate in the Sports Logos thread over whether it is appropriate for a team with stars on its flag to use stars on its badge. In that thread, I was vocal that I feel it's just fine. :D

In a way I kind of want to see a third color there, maybe black, but don't know how it could be incorporated. Or maybe there could be a black border around it when it's on a red shirt. Or maybe not. It's quite perfect that way.

I tried a few different color schemes when putting it together. The red/yellow combo as seen above was my first thought. I also tried red/yellow/white, red/yellow/black, and red/yellow/black/white. And while I thought they all worked, I kept coming back to the simple red/yellow scheme. I think in my head I liked the idea of sticking as close as possible to the flag.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and constructive input. I wasn't sure if such a simple idea would go over well, and as lost_limey pointed out it doesn't scream soccer. I thought about putting a soccer ball on there but ultimately decided against it, partly because I find that soccer balls are just damn hard to draw well.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

I like it, but it seems weird being asymmetrical. And unless you can read Chinese, you'd never know it was for football. I don't think there are that many national crests that omit the football itself.

What if you centered the Chinese characters at the top of the circle, and the stars at the bottom?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

And unless you can read Chinese, you'd never know it was for football. I don't think there are that many national crests that omit the football itself.

Argentina, England, Brazil, France, Holland, Portugal...

And unless you can read Chinese, you'd never know it was for football. I don't think there are that many national crests that omit the football itself.

Argentina, England, Brazil, France, Holland, Portugal...

I stand corrected, although the feathers in France's rooster allude to a football. And I thought England had footballs in there before.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Draw a horizon line in the star, making the bottom portion of the star red, and stick a little pagoda inside the star on top of the horizon.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the old logo for reference.

17948_hp.jpg

And here is my concept. The Chinese text translates to Chinese Football Association.

china-badge.png

I like it but I have 3 comments

1) Like the other have said, unless you read Chinese, you can't tell it's for soccer... maybe change the centre circle behind the star with a slightly deeper yellow to look like a soccer ball

2) I would move the text to the top centre and move the star to the bottom centre

3) You will need to fix the 2nd and 2nd last word. You are using traditional Chinese text. China uses simplified Chinese so that's need to be fixed.

I love the concept. To improve it, I'd suggest maybe sublimating a soccer ball pattern in the center circle.

I'd also love to know what the Chinese characters mean.

Text says "China Football Club" but as mentioned, you will still need to use the Simplified Chinese text and NOT the Traditional Chinese text that you are using.

Archived