2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

Lol at all the Auburn fans thinking this is all over, if his dad tryed taking money then they can't be good. Also, when they hell was he ruled ineligible? I didn't hear that from ESPN or anyone until now, and they are saying he is eligible.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the conspiracy theory wackjobs will need to reload to take down Auburn now:

Cam Newton ruled ELIGIBLE by NCAA

Auburn University football student-athlete Cam Newton is immediately eligible to compete, according to a decision today by the NCAA student-athlete reinstatement staff. The NCAA concluded on Monday that a violation of amateurism rules occurred, therefore Auburn University declared the student-athlete ineligible yesterday for violations of NCAA amateurism rules.

When a school discovers an NCAA rules violation has occurred, it must declare the student-athlete ineligible and may request the student-athlete?s eligibility be reinstated. Reinstatement decisions are made by the NCAA national office staff and can include conditions such as withholding from competition and repayment of extra benefits. Newton was reinstated without any conditions.

You missed this part:

Reinstatement decisions are independent of the NCAA enforcement process and typically are made once the facts of the student-athlete?s involvement are determined. The reinstatement process is likely to conclude prior to the close of an investigation. It is NCAA policy not to comment on current, pending or potential investigations.

I still wouldn't get any of the trophies Auburn wins engraved.

Any wins that have happened will count. Any punishments doled out would be for games that have yet to be played. Quarter or 1/2 game suspensions. Personally, I would have almost preferred that, because then Auburn could REALLY be in the clear and say: There, we were punished. This is done now.

And yes, I realize this is essentially, "The Shaggy Defense" from Auburn. Saying: "We didn't know. We didn't give any money. Neither did Cam. So why punish us."

Few of you live in this state, so few of you know that utter insanity this has caused around here with conspiracy theories and such.

And for what it's worth, The investigation is still ongoing, but I'm sure a good deal of that is now turning towards Mississippi State.

Lol at all the Auburn fans thinking this is all over, if his dad tryed taking money then they can't be good. Also, when they hell was he ruled ineligible? I didn't hear that from ESPN or anyone until now, and they are saying he is eligible.

Is it over? Nope. Does it look good for Auburn? Well, it certainly looks BETTER doesn't it?

And since you don't have google or want to actually read the NCAA release that I linked, here are the Cliff Notes:

NCAA presented Auburn with their decision that a violation occurred (Monday)

Auburn (not the NCAA) ruled Cam ineligible (Monday)

Auburn submitted their appeal and claim for reinstatement (Tuesday)

NCAA ruled that reinstatement was granted.

Well, now that this is over with (on the Auburn side, don't know for sure if Mississippi State is still under fire for this), Tiger fans can now focus on the SEC Championship Game against South Carolina.

Is it over? Nope. Does it look good for Auburn? Well, it certainly looks BETTER doesn't it?

And since you don't have google or want to actually read the NCAA release that I linked, here are the Cliff Notes:

I do have google and I've read the links. In fact here is a good one you should read. Its better for Auburn now, because he is going to be eligible for the SEC Championship and National Championship (if they make it), but thats because they aren't done investigating and can't prove that Cam knew about the money at the moment. All they know right now is that his dad asked for money from Mississippi State, but they don't know if Auburn did or didn't pay him. If he tried getting Mississippi State to pay them then don't you think he would have tried getting Auburn to pay them? And if Auburn wouldn't pay them then why would he want his son to go there instead of Mississippi State, just sounds a bit fishy. It looks okay now but if they find out Auburn paid him and all this other stuff, you can kiss the wins and a Heisman Trophy good-bye, because they will take away that stuff if he is guilty and proved ineligible later in the investigation.

I am laughing so hard right now because everyone thought Texas would win the Big 12, and they were the only non-bowl-eligible team in their division. I also was saying all preseason that Garrett Gilbert was overrated and sure enough, he throws only 10 touchdowns in 12 starts and throws 17 interceptions. I guess this season of football picks hasn't been a failfest after all.

And the headline we will be seeing some time in April/May....."NCAA investigators received money from SEC and BCS during Cam Newton Investigation."

Headline two years from now "Cam Newton signs with Bengals, NFL still investigating assault/drug charges."

Now time for the wildcard prediction Cam Newton will have more arrests in his NFL career then playoff wins.

at time of writing edit: ESPN just stated that NCAA is still investigating, which means this was purely a BCS related reinstatment

As for Coach Peterson, now that he now knows the Broncos have ZERO chance of EVER making the BCS Title Game

I wouldn't be so quick to say that - Kellen Moore, Doug Martin, and most of the defense are coming back next year.

Remember, Boise's chances of making a BCS bowl period were counted out in 2005 after they got blown out by Georgia... but they won the Fiesta Bowl the very next year. I'm not saying that Boise will win the BCS title game next year, but don't count them out.

Oh, and it's Petersen, not Peterson.

Anyway, in non-homer news, I can't help but feel like the Cam Newton scandal isn't truly over. There's too much smoke around Cam Newton right now for there to be no fire. If he wins the Heisman, I wouldn't be surprised if he has to give it back in a couple years.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

As for Coach Peterson, now that he now knows the Broncos have ZERO chance of EVER making the BCS Title Game

I wouldn't be so quick to say that - Kellen Moore, Doug Martin, and most of the defense are coming back next year.

Remember, Boise's chances of making a BCS bowl period were counted out in 2005 after they got blown out by Georgia... but they won the Fiesta Bowl the very next year. I'm not saying that Boise will win the BCS title game next year, but don't count them out.

And next year they'll be playing in a stronger conference, which should mean more BCS recognition if they run the table next year. (Highly doubt it, but still...)

And next year they'll be playing in a stronger conference, which should mean more BCS recognition if they run the table next year. (Highly doubt it, but still...)

Stronger? They are just adding the "stronger" teams from the WAC, and losing their own "strong" teams in TCU, BYU, and Utah, I'm not sure I would call the rest of the Mountain West strong. Still running the table in the Mountain West might look a little bit better but I doubt it.

I like the trend of abbreviating the Southeastern Conference with "$?¢"...is that any better, Mac? :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Just out of curiosity, if Auburn thought they had enough evidence to rule him ineligible, then why did they even claim for reinstatement (and get it)? If they thought he was ineligible, why are they asking for him to be eligible?

Stronger? They are just adding the "stronger" teams from the WAC, and losing their own "strong" teams in TCU, BYU, and Utah, I'm not sure I would call the rest of the Mountain West strong. Still running the table in the Mountain West might look a little bit better but I doubt it.

TCU's still in the MWC next year FWIW.

Calling the Big East the Big "Least" is the most annoying thing on the boards in recent memory.

Agreed 100%.

6fQjS3M.png

Yeah, TCU isn't joining the Big East until 2012.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Yeah, TCU isn't joining the Big East until 2012.

However for the 2011 season, they are losing the 2nd place team in Utah to the Pac-12, and BYU who tied for 3rd. Those teams will impact the overall grade for the MWC as the calculation to see if there will be a 7th AQ school will depend on the conference's membership on Dec. 4, 2011. The Big East is contractually in through 2014, which is when the current contract expires. The MWC can only gain a AQ for two years, if the system is revised or eliminated.

Aside from Utah finally joining an AQ conference, I've been pretty dissapointed in how the realignment has affected both the MWC and the WAC. At one point, I thought the MWC was a sure candidate for an AQ bid, and that would have been awesome. Now, I just can't believe that anymore. What I wish could have happened are one of two things - 1) Keep the conference as is and have Boise join (Boise, TCU, Utah, AND BYU? Great competition.), or have Utah go to the Pac-10 and have Boise replace them, while the rest of the conference stays as is. Either one of those occurences, I think, would have given the MWC an AQ bid down the road at some point, in my opinion. Utah was bound to leave, and thier departure was neither sudden nor detrimental, as Boise was in line to replace them. When BYU left, however, it disintegrated any chance the MWC had. I can't blame them really, but I don't think they were very patient, either. I really do think a conference with Boise, TCU, and BYU would've been a very attractive and competitive one. If they had just given it a shot, I think they'd find it'd be a good conference. But, again, independent status has it's pros, so I can't really blame them. I'm just dissapointed, especially now with TCU's imminent departure, at how low the MWC has sunk now. They've gone from a potential AQ bid to no better than the Mid-Atlantic, in just three short years.

And about the WAC, just when I thought that conference couldn't get any worse, now it's potentially going to be THE worst conference in the FBS. Take it from a WAC student - WAC football is some of the most terrible football I've ever seen. Out of support for my school, I had to endure it every flippin' saturday. I'm not at all looking forward to the quality after these changes from here on out. Texas State? FIRST-TIME FOOTBALL PROGRAM UT-San Antonio? Yikes. I would've been a little excited if Montana took the invitation and joined, but shoot. The only thing I can compare the dissapointment to is like when you draw names from the secret Santa bag in second grade, you want the girl you've got a crush on, but you get the kid in the back of the room who picks and eats his boogers instead. You get that queasy feeling and hate life for a while.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Archived