2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

Look, this is one game and yes, Boise State looked good, and went on the road and beat a good Virginia Tech team, but it's one game. I don't see why people are so up in arms about the subject of Boise State or even TCU being in the Championship game. First of all, if you want to talk about cream-puff schedules, you really should start with the "big boys". You know who I'm talking about, Ohio State, Nebraska, Florida, Florida State, Miami (Fl), Alabama who schedule D1 AA, and DII schools year in and year out just so they can have easy games to open the season. The fact is, most of them schedule two of them at the beginning of the year. Oh and don't give me crap about how the patsies of the big conferences are tougher opponents. I'm sorry the likes of Duke, Baylor, Iowa State, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, Washington State, and Indiana/Illinois/Minnesota are year in year out easy wins for the "Big Boys". You break down any team's schedule and it comes down to 3-4 opponents which are actually tough teams, the rest end up being easy wins that are a lot of times blow outs. The fact of the matter is that Boise State has a schedule to play, they can't change their conference opponents at least this year, but at least they don't year in and year out wimp out and schedule DI AA and DII, when they should be playing the other "Big Boys". I'm sorry, I have no respect for these "Big Boys" who year in and year out schedule DI AA, and DII schools and then their uppity fans who want to slam Boise States and the likes for their easy schedule. Don't give me crap about a tougher schedule, when your school year in and year out schedules patsies just to pad their wins in the beginning of September. Most of these schools have no balls whatsoever. You'll never see Nebraska, Alabama, Miami (Fl), Florida, Ohio State, and the likes play three tough out of conference foes, because they want to pad their win total in September, so they consistantly schedule the Samfords of the world. To me the small schools that play these "Big Boys" have more balls, because at least they schedule up and have the balls to play tougher opponents, unlike 90% of the "Big Boys". Do I expect, Boise State to run the table? No. I expect them to lose either this week at Wyoming or against Oregon State. Just don't give me crap about the easiness of Boise State's schedule.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'll never see Nebraska, Alabama, Miami (Fl), Florida, Ohio State, and the likes play three tough out of conference foes, because they want to pad their win total in September, so they consistantly schedule the Samfords of the world.

This part of your tangent made no sense. You look at Alabama's schedule, they play Penn State NEXT WEEK. Wow, what an easy cupcake win for Alabama. No balls on them to schedule that game, eh? Miami's playing AT Ohio State next week, then they play Pitt & USF later on. Oh wow, shame on Miami for scheduling these cupcakes! How dare LSU schedule such weaklings such as West Virginia & North Carolina?! The NCAA should really come down on these big schools that are turning September into preseason! Especially that dastardly Nebraska. They've had a history of doing this. Just last year, they scheduled, of all the small schools in the world...VIRGINIA TECH. What a load of :censored:. Tell them to man up! :cursing:

Yeah, some schools schedule some weak teams, but hey, the small school have to agree to it, & it's not like they don't get benefits from it ($$$ & some sort of TV exposure. Tell me, how else could you watch a Samford game on television unless they're playing a big school?) & sometimes they even, OH MY GOD, win. Ask Ole Miss if Jacksonville State's a cupcake. Ask Michigan if Appalachian State is an easy win. Ask Kansas if North Dakota State is an easy September victory. SEC, Big 10, & Big 12 teams getting knocked off right there. Everybody can get it. I'm just tired of people playing the "Oh, poor FCS/non-BCS school" or "Shame on these big schools for scheduling cupcakes" shtick when it's been proven TIME AND TIME AGAIN that these small schools are beating the bigger schools on a more regular basis now. Plus, when you've got big schools like the aforementioned that are playing each other, that makes that argument even more tiresome.

Look, this is one game and yes, Boise State looked good, and went on the road and beat a good Virginia Tech team, but it's one game. I don't see why people are so up in arms about the subject of Boise State or even TCU being in the Championship game. First of all, if you want to talk about cream-puff schedules, you really should start with the "big boys". You know who I'm talking about, Ohio State, Nebraska, Florida, Florida State, Miami (Fl), Alabama who schedule D1 AA, and DII schools year in and year out just so they can have easy games to open the season. The fact is, most of them schedule two of them at the beginning of the year. Oh and don't give me crap about how the patsies of the big conferences are tougher opponents. I'm sorry the likes of Duke, Baylor, Iowa State, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, Washington State, and Indiana/Illinois/Minnesota are year in year out easy wins for the "Big Boys". You break down any team's schedule and it comes down to 3-4 opponents which are actually tough teams, the rest end up being easy wins that are a lot of times blow outs. The fact of the matter is that Boise State has a schedule to play, they can't change their conference opponents at least this year, but at least they don't year in and year out wimp out and schedule DI AA and DII, when they should be playing the other "Big Boys". I'm sorry, I have no respect for these "Big Boys" who year in and year out schedule DI AA, and DII schools and then their uppity fans who want to slam Boise States and the likes for their easy schedule. Don't give me crap about a tougher schedule, when your school year in and year out schedules patsies just to pad their wins in the beginning of September. Most of these schools have no balls whatsoever. You'll never see Nebraska, Alabama, Miami (Fl), Florida, Ohio State, and the likes play three tough out of conference foes, because they want to pad their win total in September, so they consistantly schedule the Samfords of the world. To me the small schools that play these "Big Boys" have more balls, because at least they schedule up and have the balls to play tougher opponents, unlike 90% of the "Big Boys". Do I expect, Boise State to run the table? No. I expect them to lose either this week at Wyoming or against Oregon State. Just don't give me crap about the easiness of Boise State's schedule.

Just so we're clear, you don't want to hear about easy schedules? :rolleyes:

And last time I checked, we aren't "giving you crap" about anything.

Oddball has spoken. May as well close the thread now.

BB52Big.jpg

This part of your tangent made no sense. You look at Alabama's schedule, they play Penn State NEXT WEEK. Wow, what an easy cupcake win for Alabama. No balls on them to schedule that game, eh? Miami's playing AT Ohio State next week, then they play Pitt & USF later on. Oh wow, shame on Miami for scheduling these cupcakes! How dare LSU schedule such weaklings such as West Virginia & North Carolina?! The NCAA should really come down on these big schools that are turning September into preseason! Especially that dastardly Nebraska. They've had a history of doing this. Just last year, they scheduled, of all the small schools in the world...VIRGINIA TECH. What a load of :censored:. Tell them to man up! :cursing:

I made mention of that piece either somewhere up in this thread or in another one somewhere, but yeah--Miami is UP AGAINST IT to open up this year. Going into the Horseshoe, then INTO Pitt (who might still be reeling from that OT loss to the Utes), then get archrival FSU back home after that...and you know those games are ALWAYS a battle. Randy Shannon's boys are gon' get tested real quick...and Imma be paying real close attention.

So what Moore and his teammates did Monday night before a national television audience meant a lot more than being 1-0. It meant it was the best team in the country after the inaugural week of the season.

Until further notice, whether Boise State's coach and players want to admit it, Boise State is the No. 1 team in the country.

"Thirty-five," Boise State coach Chris Petersen responded with some seriousness when asked where he thought his Broncos should be ranked when Tuesday's votes are tallied.

The top-ranked defending national champions from Alabama opened this season with a romp over San Jose State, which once was really good at track. The second-ranked team started with a romp over Marshall, which graduated to elite college football in the late '90s. Whoopee.

Boise State beat a Hokies team that played so well, Boise State probably shouldn't have won. That was yet another reason to move the Broncos two rungs up the ladder to surpass the Buckeyes and supplant the Crimson Tide as best in the nation, for now.

It is one thing when a team wins running on all cylinders. It is another when it has to overcome itself as well as a really game opponent. Boise State did the latter against Virginia Tech. Its mettle was tested and it stood up.

Indeed, the Broncos coughed up a 17-0 lead they built in dominating fashion in the first quarter. They fumbled away the football twice in doing so. They committed 11 penalties for over 100 yards.

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Ok, guy--we get it, some folks drink the Kool-Aid, some folks consume it intravenously, and some bathe in it. Guess which one this guy is?

As to the second bolded part, what game was he watching? Played so well? Hell, 70% of the defensive starters were new, and the inexperience showed up real fast. The special teams just about imploded. Played so well? Yeah right. Hell, if not for Tyrod Taylor (and a few timely stops on D, I will give VT credit for that), VT would have been thoroughly stampeded on. And oh by the way, VT isn't exactly the toughest team in the land, either.

That blog did provide me some good comedic relief, though, so I'm thankful for that.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The fact that he's a flaming jackass aside, Oddball brings up a fair point. Teams have to play their schedules. So in the interest of fairness let's look at the top five and compare "cream puff" schedules...

#1 Alabama. Half of their games are against ranked opponents.

#2 Ohio State. Four games against ranked opponents.

#3 Boise State. One game was against a ranked opponent.

#4 TCU. 2 games against ranked opponents.

5. Texas. 2 games against ranked opponents.

Call me crazy but I'd hardly say Alabama's schedule is loaded with cream puffs. Call me crazier still but I'd be hard pressed to make an argument that Boise State's conference schedule is as tough as Ohio State's. May as well call the guys in the white coats at this point because I think anyone in the top 15 would easily go undefeated playing Boise State's remaining schedule.

Now, someone (preferably oddball) make the case that Boise State would still go 12-0 playing Alabama's schedule. Or Ohio State's. Or Texas'. Or....you get the point. Like it or not tough guy but if Alabama or Ohio State make it to the title game they will have traveled a much tougher road than Boise State to get there.

BB52Big.jpg

Especially that dastardly Nebraska. They've had a history of doing this. Just last year, they scheduled, of all the small schools in the world...VIRGINIA TECH. What a load of :censored:. Tell them to man up! :cursing:

/Agreed

For the last several seasons, Nebraska's non-con schedule has been slightly weaker. That's thanks to former Ath. Director Steve Pederson, but is changing with Tom Osborne at the helm. In addition to picking up conference games against Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa and Wisconsin, the Huskers are also scheduled to face the following non-con teams in the next couple years:

-Fresno St

-UCLA

-Washington

-Southern Miss

-Miami

And besides Virginia Tech, don't forget that we also played home-and-home series with Pitt, Wake Forest and USC in the last few seasons.

So, umm.... Boise? Care to join the party?

"Boise's not a state - I looked it up on Wikipedia."

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

First off, I couldn't post this last night because of all the driver errors and crap, but HOW 'BOUT THEM BRONCOS! Kellen Moore really is something special.

As for the old refrain that Boise State couldn't win a BCS tradition conference, that's bull. First of all, Boise has won big game after big game for the past few years, and when you're in the SEC, pretty much every conference game is a big game. Second of all, Boise would be able to take in far better recruits than they do now if they were in a BCS conference, and better recruits means more wins. They don't have the history of schools like Alabama or Ohio State, but what they do have to offer is the opportunity to be part of a rising star in the college football world. After all, Alabama didn't start out with 13 championships, they had to win title #1 first, and Boise can certainly start writing their tradition now too.

I love how this game has been forgotten by Bosie fan but they bring up Fiesta Bowl wins at the drop of a hat.

How is that any different from, say, Bama fans bragging about all their titles but then pretending that this never happened?

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

First off, I couldn't post this last night because of all the driver errors and crap, but HOW 'BOUT THEM BRONCOS! Kellen Moore really is something special.

As for the old refrain that Boise State couldn't win a BCS tradition conference, that's bull. First of all, Boise has won big game after big game for the past few years, and when you're in the SEC, pretty much every conference game is a big game. Second of all, Boise would be able to take in far better recruits than they do now if they were in a BCS conference, and better recruits means more wins. They don't have the history of schools like Alabama or Ohio State, but what they do have to offer is the opportunity to be part of a rising star in the college football world. After all, Alabama didn't start out with 13 championships, they had to win title #1 first, and Boise can certainly start writing their tradition now too.

I love how this game has been forgotten by Bosie fan but they bring up Fiesta Bowl wins at the drop of a hat.

How is that any different from, say, Bama fans bragging about all their titles but then pretending that this never happened?

1. They beat Oklahoma in 2006 and TCU last year in the Fiesta Bowl. Two bowl games four years apart and a win against VT last night does not constitute big games "year after year." They've played three "big" games in 5 years. That's hardly the same as playing an SEC schedule every year. I'm not saying they wouldn't be competitive in a BCS conference but gearing up for a bowl game against Oklahoma isn't the same thing as a five week stretch that includes games against Georgia, Florida, Alabama, and LSU. Again, I'm not saying Boise isn't capable of beating any one of those teams. I just don't think they're good enough to beat all of them in the same season.

2. But they aren't and we're not talking about what if Boise were in a BCS conference. We're talking about right now. And right now they play in a weak conference.

3. That's a perfectly valid point.

BB52Big.jpg

1. They beat Oklahoma in 2006 and TCU last year in the Fiesta Bowl. Two bowl games four years apart and a win against VT last night does not constitute big games "year after year." They've played three "big" games in 5 years.

They beat #14 Oregon last year, they beat #12 Oregon in 2008, they beat #19 TCU in 2003, and they beat #8 Fresno State in 2001. The first three might not be the biggest games ever but that's still markedly-better competition than what they see in the WAC. As for the Fresno State win, that was the start of Boise's rise to becoming one of the best schools in the college football world, so that merits inclusion as a big game.

That's hardly the same as playing an SEC schedule every year. I'm not saying they wouldn't be competitive in a BCS conference but gearing up for a bowl game against Oklahoma isn't the same thing as a five week stretch that includes games against Georgia, Florida, Alabama, and LSU. Again, I'm not saying Boise isn't capable of beating any one of those teams. I just don't think they're good enough to beat all of them in the same season.

I do, especially with the higher caliber of recruits Boise would be getting in a BCS conference. Petersen is an extremely smart coach, too. He's not like the usual college coach that only wins by recruiting well and using conventional, safe playcalling. I'd trust Petersen over most other coaches in college football to get the absolute biggest impact out of a crop of 5-star recruits.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

All this talk about how Boise has weak schedules but yet no one ever talks about how these "big time" schools usually would'nt have the nuts to schedule them. Do you think Bama and Ohio State would jump at the chance to schedule the Broncos? I give VT and Oregon lots of respect because they took the chance to take on the Broncos. It happens to other teams too. I mean in the 20008 season Michigan (back when they were a strong strong football team) backed out and paid the fine so they would'nt schedule Hawai'i that season.

Teams like Boise and Utah and etc never get their shots to play the big games, the BCS teams do. Why? because they're scared to lose to a team like Boise. Yeah conference games for these teams are weak because they are in a weaker conference because they started small in the conference and build up to the powerhouse they are now. They didn't get the chance like the big time teams to have the tradition and history to move straight into a BCS conference. I mean do you think the PAC-10 would jump at the chance to add Boise State back in 1996 when they moved to Div 1A? NO! so they got accepted into the WAC and began to build and dominate to the team and program they are today. So you can't exactly penalize a team for the conference they're in. Boise has consistantly won games the past 2 seasons and to just be able to do that at the high level they play at is definately respectable, but to do that and still win the BIG game they do have (TCU, Oregon, VT) thats respectable to award them the rankings and praise they're getting.

spacer.png

I'm so glad that Boise State beat Virginia Tech. Now the Broncos just need to beat Oregon State and Nevada then nothing will stand in their way. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...(cough) (cough) Oh great! I jus swallowed a fly!

Note: The second part of that post was a joke. A lame one maybe, but still, it's a joke.

Report: Looks like Reggie Bush is going to be stripped of his Heisman.

Does that mean Vince Young gets it?

If he does get it stripped, it will be a joke. Regardless of all the gifts he may have received, was he not the best player in college football that season? Of course he was, he was the biggest prospect in football at the time (even though he didn't live up to the expectations). I don't think the gifts had anything to do with that. I have no problems with punishing the university, but don't punish the athletes. Don't act like you wouldn't accept the gifts under the same circumstances. There is so much screwed up with college sports. I hate when they act like they are taking care of the problem, by going after the big cases, while ignoring everything else.

You're kidding, right? Of course you punish the athletes. They know going into college that they cannot do this, and there should be consequences when it is actually done. If anything, going after Bush is a positive development, because typically NCAA sanctions only go after the programs well after the offending players are gone.

I don't think an 18 year old coming out of high school always makes the best judgements. Especially a star prospects, thats be coddled through high school. You don't expect someone like that to accept a new car if offered one? I'd be shocked to hear of anyone turn the gifts down in those circumstances. The problems in college sports run much, much deeper than this. I personally don't like that they are punishing Bush when there are so many other athletes getting away with stuff in a very corrupt system.

Well, it looks like next year just got harder for us...

http://www.ksby.com/news/cal-poly-football-headed-to-the-big-sky-conference/

Translation: the Big Sky just caught wind of the WAC's "The Project II: This Time The Conference Doesn't Blow Up." and is prepping for the loss of Montana and one or two others.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If he does get it stripped, it will be a joke. Regardless of all the gifts he may have received, was he not the best player in college football that season? Of course he was, he was the biggest prospect in football at the time (even though he didn't live up to the expectations). I don't think the gifts had anything to do with that. I have no problems with punishing the university, but don't punish the athletes. Don't act like you wouldn't accept the gifts under the same circumstances. There is so much screwed up with college sports. I hate when they act like they are taking care of the problem, by going after the big cases, while ignoring everything else.

You're kidding, right? Of course you punish the athletes. They know going into college that they cannot do this, and there should be consequences when it is actually done. If anything, going after Bush is a positive development, because typically NCAA sanctions only go after the programs well after the offending players are gone.

I don't think an 18 year old coming out of high school always makes the best judgements. Especially a star prospects, thats be coddled through high school. You don't expect someone like that to accept a new car if offered one? I'd be shocked to hear of anyone turn the gifts down in those circumstances. The problems in college sports run much, much deeper than this. I personally don't like that they are punishing Bush when there are so many other athletes getting away with stuff in a very corrupt system.

Even a heavily coddled athlete should have a basic understanding of what you can or cannot do. Youth is not an excuse given the scale of the violations Bush committed. As for athletes getting away with stuff, you have to start with someone and then extend enforcement elsewhere and Bush is as good a candidate as any.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well, it looks like next year just got harder for us...

http://www.ksby.com/...sky-conference/

Just two more teams to play on the EWU red turf every other year. I don't think Cal Poly and UC Davis know what they are getting into. :)

UC Davis has no clue, but Cal Poly may come in here and just rock this conference. They're legit.

1. They beat Oklahoma in 2006 and TCU last year in the Fiesta Bowl. Two bowl games four years apart and a win against VT last night does not constitute big games "year after year." They've played three "big" games in 5 years.

They beat #14 Oregon last year, they beat #12 Oregon in 2008, they beat #19 TCU in 2003, and they beat #8 Fresno State in 2001. The first three might not be the biggest games ever but that's still markedly-better competition than what they see in the WAC. As for the Fresno State win, that was the start of Boise's rise to becoming one of the best schools in the college football world, so that merits inclusion as a big game.

That's hardly the same as playing an SEC schedule every year. I'm not saying they wouldn't be competitive in a BCS conference but gearing up for a bowl game against Oklahoma isn't the same thing as a five week stretch that includes games against Georgia, Florida, Alabama, and LSU. Again, I'm not saying Boise isn't capable of beating any one of those teams. I just don't think they're good enough to beat all of them in the same season.

I do, especially with the higher caliber of recruits Boise would be getting in a BCS conference. Petersen is an extremely smart coach, too. He's not like the usual college coach that only wins by recruiting well and using conventional, safe playcalling. I'd trust Petersen over most other coaches in college football to get the absolute biggest impact out of a crop of 5-star recruits.

I wasn't clear enough in what I was saying. I'm not talking about what Boise State could do if they were in a BCS conference or if this or that happened. I'm talking about this Boise State team playing this season. The 2010 Boise State Broncos would not go undefeated playing a BCS conference schedule.

BB52Big.jpg

no , if thats the case they're saying it will be kept vacant .

At least the Heisman folks are being consistent with the NCAA; this is pretty much what they already do with wins, championships, etc. that are forfeited under sanction. I've always thought this is what the IOC should do with forfeited Olympic medals (for getting busted after the fact for PEDs and such). Don't mess with the rest of the results when the gold medalist gets stripped; just declare first place vacant and strip the gold medal. The silver medalist keeps his silver, the bronze medalist keeps his bronze, and the 4th-place guy is still SOL.

CCSLC signature.png

Archived