Help Me Choose a Team

Gregmond

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi,

As an NBA fan living in Australia, I've never had the need to call one team my own. Over the years I have identified with a range of teams, and even did lock in with the Hornets at one point, but it's never really taken hold. I've decided that I'm going to use this NBA off-seaon to chose myself a club, and then host a one-hour special on ESPN to announce my decision ("I've decided to, man, this is really hard, this fall I've decided to take my talents to ...").

My history of fan-dom is laid out here, and hopefully somewhere within lies the answer as to who should become "my team".

In year 8 (8th grade) in 1988, when asked who my team was, I selected the Utah Jazz (probably because of Stockton and Malone). Note that it was difficult to follow the NBA from Australia in the pre-internet '80s. I don't think I stuck with them for long because later that year the Charlote Hornets were born, and as a new fan, I figured I should align with a new club.

I stuck with the Hornets until they moved, and for some reason (despite having no personal connection to the city of Charlotte) felt like I lost my team. I tried to adopt the Bobcats, but that never really took hold.

Over the years, I've been lucky enough to travel to the USA a few times, and have seen three NBA games:

- Clippers @ Lakers (Sam Bowie) ~ LA Forum

- Suns (Charles Barkley) @ Clippers ~ LA Sports Arena

- Kings @ Sonics ~ Key Arena

I lived in Vancouver during 2005 when I caught that Sonics game, and for a brief period adopted them as my team. I felt particularly bad for Seattle when the team moved away, and felt like I had again lost my team. Despite owning a Kevin Durant jersey (albeit a Sonics one), I don't think I can adopt the Thunder. Should I adopt the Grizzlies as they were (for a brief period) Vancouver's team?

My year in Vancouver did cause me to develop a massive man crush on Steve Nash, and with the way the Suns play hoops, I would love to adopt them as my team ... but will I care about them once Nash retires or changes teams?

The last factor is Bill Simmons. I read all of his stuff and listen to his podcasts, and feel like I know the Celtics better than I know any other team. Plus, Bill Russell is my favourite player ever and green is my favourite colour ... and one of my best mates is a Celtics man, so I would immediately have a brother to talk to about "our team" ... and I've always wanted to travel to Boston, and so a trip to the (new) garden would become a pilgramage of sorts.

Confused? Me too! Break it down for me!

Thanks,

Greg

Richmond.pngCanucks-1.png49ers-1.pngMariners-2.png

Thanks to Gobbi for the awesome buttons!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last factor is Bill Simmons. I read all of his stuff and listen to his podcasts, and feel like I know the Celtics better than I know any other team. Plus, Bill Russell is my favourite player ever and green is my favourite colour ... and one of my best mates is a Celtics man, so I would immediately have a brother to talk to about "our team" ... and I've always wanted to travel to Boston, and so a trip to the (new) garden would become a pilgramage of sorts.

Thanks,

Greg

But if you are using Simmons, will your decision be similar to his EPL team selection?

I'd go with the Milwaukee Bucks. You've got a great young PG in Brandon Jennings, who's really fun to watch. The re-signed John Salmons, and have made some other off-season moves that, on paper, should make them even better next season. Plus you have your Australian in Andrew Bogut, who is coming off of his best season in the pros (albeit after a freak injury ended that season). They're not too good to be considered a bandwagon team, but they seem to be on the rise.

Badger_zps8961c467.png

Hi,

As an NBA fan living in Australia, I've never had the need to call one team my own. Over the years I have identified with a range of teams, and even did lock in with the Hornets at one point, but it's never really taken hold. I've decided that I'm going to use this NBA off-seaon to chose myself a club, and then host a one-hour special on ESPN to announce my decision ("I've decided to, man, this is really hard, this fall I've decided to take my talents to ...").

My history of fan-dom is laid out here, and hopefully somewhere within lies the answer as to who should become "my team".

In year 8 (8th grade) in 1988, when asked who my team was, I selected the Utah Jazz (probably because of Stockton and Malone). Note that it was difficult to follow the NBA from Australia in the pre-internet '80s. I don't think I stuck with them for long because later that year the Charlote Hornets were born, and as a new fan, I figured I should align with a new club.

I stuck with the Hornets until they moved, and for some reason (despite having no personal connection to the city of Charlotte) felt like I lost my team. I tried to adopt the Bobcats, but that never really took hold.

Over the years, I've been lucky enough to travel to the USA a few times, and have seen three NBA games:

- Clippers @ Lakers (Sam Bowie) ~ LA Forum

- Suns (Charles Barkley) @ Clippers ~ LA Sports Arena

- Kings @ Sonics ~ Key Arena

I lived in Vancouver during 2005 when I caught that Sonics game, and for a brief period adopted them as my team. I felt particularly bad for Seattle when the team moved away, and felt like I had again lost my team. Despite owning a Kevin Durant jersey (albeit a Sonics one), I don't think I can adopt the Thunder. Should I adopt the Grizzlies as they were (for a brief period) Vancouver's team?

My year in Vancouver did cause me to develop a massive man crush on Steve Nash, and with the way the Suns play hoops, I would love to adopt them as my team ... but will I care about them once Nash retires or changes teams?

Thanks,

Greg

Not to say that "just because you live in Australia you have to like Australian players", but why not root for the Bucks? They have Andrew Bogut, arguably the best Australian player in the NBA. IMO they are one of the most exciting teams to watch (in terms of being "up-and-coming") and they have really been steadily improving over the past few years. They became quite popular during the playoffs last year.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Two extra items worth mentioning:

I love Vancouver, and by extension Seattle. Having spent a decent amount of time in both places, I would say that I felt more at home there than I do here in Melbourne. Not that it makes much difference, since neither city has an NBA team, but worthy of a mention.

If the poll gets 100 votes in total, I will go all-in with the winning team.

Not to say that "just because you live in Australia you have to like Australian players", but why not root for the Bucks? They have Andrew Bogut, arguably the best Australian player in the NBA. IMO they are one of the most exciting teams to watch (in terms of being "up-and-coming") and they have really been steadily improving over the past few years. They became quite popular during the playoffs last year.

While I love the notion of "fear the deer" and "squad 6", and the Andrew Bogut connection, I am just not feeling it for the Bucks. I'll add them to the poll, but if the Aussie is the only connection, then there's another half-dozen teams I could add, most notably the Chicago Bulls with Luc Longly.

While I love the notion of "fear the deer" and "squad 6", and the Andrew Bogut connection, I am just not feeling it for the Bucks. I'll add them to the poll, but if the Aussie is the only connection, then there's another half-dozen teams I could add, most notably the Chicago Bulls with Luc Longly.

True, but Longley is long gone. Bogut is by far the best Aussie right now.

But if the Bucks dont float your boat, why not the Heat? Now would be a pretty good time to start, haha. I imagine their games are going to be awesome to watch. And you wouldnt really be a "bandwagon" fan because you dont really have a team right now anyway.

Ive been a Bullets/Wizards fan since 1995 and its really taken its toll on me, such a messy organization to follow. This summer ive been thinking about jumping on the heat bandwagon, because i think they will really put on a show. But ill probably stick with my team.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

My vote is for the team that used to call Vancouver their home, the Memphis Grizzlies. They have a lot of upside, especially around Rudy Gay, Marc Gasol, OJ Mayo, and Zach Randolph leading the way. The Grizzlies can build on their 2009 40-42 record in a competitive Western Conference and could be a surprise pick to make the Playoffs.

Just go with whatever team happens to be good at the time. That's the safest way to go. Bandwagon it all the way home.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I'd suggest staying neutral. It's a lot more fun rooting for whoever you feel like rooting for on any given day.

This. When it comes to the NBA I grew up a Pacers fan but have a rooting interest in the Bulls due to my local sporting radio stations, but these days it's nice to enjoy the game regardless of who's winning/losing. It makes watching the games that much more enjoyable. I use similar method with college football.

Since you're from australia, if there's a certain player you like, or a teams colors, that's as good as any to invest your fandom in.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I'd suggest staying neutral. It's a lot more fun rooting for whoever you feel like rooting for on any given day.

This. When it comes to the NBA I grew up a Pacers fan but have a rooting interest in the Bulls due to my local sporting radio stations, but these days it's nice to enjoy the game regardless of who's winning/losing. It makes watching the games that much more enjoyable. I use similar method with college football.

That's pretty much what I do with all sports.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

I think you answered your own question. You're a Celtics fan. Go with it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

You should root for the Clips. Nobody will accuse you of being a bandwagoner, and when the miracle occurs and the Clippers actually play really well and win the Finals (it has to happen sometime, right?) you can say you liked them before.

But if he becomes a citizen of Clipper Nation, you immediately become his neighbor. That right there would be enough to keep me the hell away.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived