2010-11 European soccer outpost

Saintsfan

Looks like over in France, Grenoble has pulled a bit of a Leeds, as they have been relegated in two consecutive seasons. And in Germany, Arminia Bielefeld has done the same, relegated twice in three seasons.

LvZYtbZ.png

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

City just won the FA Cup. Of course Yaya Toure is the one to score the winner. SO happy for the club, and all the fans who came WAY before I did who stuck with this team through thick (the current times of money) & thin (being down in the 3rd tier back in the late 90s & pretty much every gut punch moment.). Finally those fans' patience has been rewarded with a trophy.

The drought is over, the Cup's will be going to Manchester proper, & that stupid-ass banner @ Old Trafford is finally coming down. :grin:

Maybe a new banner will go up, "Let us know when you get to 19 league titles" :upside:

United will just start listing how long it's been since Liverpool last won the league

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I'm going to make the case right now: FC Porto is probably the best team in Europe this year. Better than Manchester United, and better than Barcelona.

A record of 47 wins, 5 draws, 4 losses in all competitions this year (pending the Portuguese Cup final), including an unbeaten domestic league season. Shame they only got to play in Europa League.

LvZYtbZ.png

Looks like over in France, Grenoble has pulled a bit of a Leeds, as they have been relegated in two consecutive seasons. And in Germany, Arminia Bielefeld has done the same, relegated twice in three seasons.

To add to this Evian has the chance to win 2 straight promotions, as they lead Ligue 2 with 2 matches to play. They aren't even playing in their own stadium this year cause it doesn't meet LFP specifications.

1zqy8ok.gif

I'm going to make the case right now: FC Porto is probably the best team in Europe this year. Better than Manchester United, and better than Barcelona.

A record of 47 wins, 5 draws, 4 losses in all competitions this year (pending the Portuguese Cup final), including an unbeaten domestic league season. Shame they only got to play in Europa League.

The Portugese league isn't nearly strong enough to make that judgement. They've done fabulously well, but itsca joke frankly to suggest they've been better than Barca or United.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The Portugese league isn't nearly strong enough to make that judgement. They've done fabulously well, but itsca joke frankly to suggest they've been better than Barca or United.

A direct comparison is practically impossible, I realize, given that last year Porto qualified for Europa League, rather than the Champions League. However, going unbeaten over a 30+ game league campaign is tough no matter what league you're in, as is winning a domestic Double, something Porto can do this year and neither Manchester United nor Barcelona did.

Their five draws are three in league play, one in League Cup group play, one in Europa League group play. Their four losses are one in League Cup group play, one first-leg loss in the Portuguese Cup semi, and two second-leg losses in Europa League play.

As to the league, the Portuguese league is currently ranked 6th among all leagues in Europe, and while it isn't as high as the Premiership (1st) and La Liga (2nd), it's still a very tough league. But you are entitled to your opinion, and I am entitled to mine. We will see what happens in Monaco.

LvZYtbZ.png

whatever your smoking dude can I have some, and you can use the quality of domestic competition to compare teams like that, you think Porto runs a table like that in La Liga or the Premier League, or even in Serie A...not bloody likely

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

whatever your smoking dude can I have some, and you can use the quality of domestic competition to compare teams like that, you think Porto runs a table like that in La Liga or the Premier League, or even in Serie A...not bloody likely

I will give you that it's tougher in those leagues to run the table if only because you have 8 more chances to screw it up. Do I think they'd run the table in those leagues? Probably not. They'd be competitive though, and could very well win the league. But you can't automatically assume the one's better than the other.

And actually, if you look at the quality of what the different nation's teams did in Europe this year, Portugal had the best year of any nation. That is a fact.

(Count your scores this way: For each team, count point per win, half point per draw in qualifying for UEFA tournaments. 4 points bonus for making the CL group stage. From then on, two for a win, one for a draw - give 5 points bonus for making it to the CL knockout stage, and give 1 point each for making the quarters, semis, and final in a UEFA tournament. Divide by number of clubs qualified for Europe)

LvZYtbZ.png

To play Captain Obvious for a bit: After an epic late-season collapse that saw them going from chasing a quadruple to crashing (and burning) out of all four of their title races in a matter of weeks, the Gunners - and the Gooners - are in for a rough offseason.

The toxic combination of a calamitous finish to the season, uncertainty caused by American Stan Kroenke?s takeover and a series of PR disasters culminating in a 6.5 per cent season ticket hike at a time when Arsenal are raking in record profits and not re-investing them in the team has whipped up the perfect storm of unhappiness.

The sense that the board, players, coaches and supporters are no longer pulling in the same direction was all too apparent during the 2-1 defeat by Aston Villa at Emirates Stadium on Sunday.

CCSLC signature.png

Blackpool, West Ham and Birmingham City get relegated. My heart breaks for the Blackpool defender who scored an own goal in the 2nd half that sealed relegation for them. The PL will lose a little with Ian Holloway going down.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

So with Birmingham going down, we have a second-division side playing European football. I almost think UEFA should change the regulations in regards to qualifying for Europa League to say that the only way a second-division club can play in European football would be to win the national cup. Cup runners-up, or league cup winners, who aren't first division the following year would be replaced by the highest team in the league.

On the other hand, we now have five of the nine regions of England represented in the Premiership for 2011-12, and if Reading makes it up, we'll be up to six. Four this year was a record low for modern times.

LvZYtbZ.png

Blackpool, West Ham and Birmingham City get relegated. My heart breaks for the Blackpool defender who scored an own goal in the 2nd half that sealed relegation for them. The PL will lose a little with Ian Holloway going down.

Blackpool was the one team I was really rooting for to stay up. I've been following them somewhat since 2007, so I was ecstatic for their arrival into the EPL. Too bad they're going back down.

In Germany, Borussia Mönchengladbach secured a spot in the 11/12 1.Bundesliga by drawing 1-1 with VfL Bochum and winning 2-1 on aggregate. :D

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Meanwhile, in the span of 48 hours, Wembley Stadium will host both the most important club football game in Europe this year... and the richest game in the world.

My money's on Barcelona and Swansea. You guys?

LvZYtbZ.png

Archived