New NFL on Fox Graphics

patsox

I don't think it's unprofessional at all. I would hope that people could at least recognize their team based on logo. Overall, a pretty clean compact look. Definitely beats that near-unreadable scorebar they've been using.

What about Cleveland? Are they gonna use that Bulldog alt logo? Or just a nice big ol' orangy-brown blob on the scorebug?

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I felt three-letters were more professional than logos last time Fox tried this and I'm sticking to it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the last time they tried just the logos, wasn't it switched back to the 3 or 2 team abbreviation before the regular season started? The logo then slid over the abbreviation when something happened (scoring, penalty, etc.).

In 2003 during the regular season they went with logos only, but in the playoffs they went back to abbreviations. Here is the 2003 graphic.

220px-NFL_on_FOX_score_banner.jpg

Ha, I remember that Jags game, I almost had a heart attack..

I don't think it's unprofessional at all. I would hope that people could at least recognize their team based on logo. Overall, a pretty clean compact look. Definitely beats that near-unreadable scorebar they've been using.

What about Cleveland? Are they gonna use that Bulldog alt logo? Or just a nice big ol' orangy-brown blob on the scorebug?

Fox tends to use a plain orange blob for the Browns during halftime reports, but I guess they could use the helmet logo. Not a big deal since the Browns are only on Fox twice.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I felt three-letters were more professional than logos last time Fox tried this and I'm sticking to it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the last time they tried just the logos, wasn't it switched back to the 3 or 2 team abbreviation before the regular season started? The logo then slid over the abbreviation when something happened (scoring, penalty, etc.).

In 2003 during the regular season they went with logos only, but in the playoffs they went back to abbreviations. Here is the 2003 graphic.

220px-NFL_on_FOX_score_banner.jpg

Ha, I remember that Jags game, I almost had a heart attack..

Me too. If two plays ever summed up the soul-crushing nature of being a Saints fan (before last year of course), it was those two.

For anyone unfamilar with the so-called River City Relay, the Saints were down by 7 and on their own 25 or so with just a few seconds left. They pulled off a pass/lateral miracle involving 4 or 5 players for a TD, with QB Aaron Brooks, not the most dedicated player, even hustling downfield to take out the last Jags defender. I thought, "We're going to OT, baby!"

Um, no. After scoring one of the most spectacular touchdowns in NFL history, the Saints missed the extra point. K John Carney - usually very, very reliable - just totally shanked it. And oh by the way, any shot the Saints had at the playoffs went down the drain with the loss. :mad:

The Saints' long-time (and outstanding) play-by-play man, Jim Henderson, nearly lost it on the air, saying, "He missed it wide right. Oh my God, how could he DO that??"

At least it won an ESPY for best play. :rolleyes:

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

4909106018_6a6d56abb0.jpg

OT, but what's with the Pee Wee logo on the field? That some new NFL cross-marketing exhibition initative?

USA Football is the official youth football developmental partner of the NFL. They've had their logo/wordmark on NFL fields occasionally for some years now. It was founded by a grant from the NFL and NFLPA in 2002. They do lots of clinics for players, coaches and commissioners, and try to develop the game of football (on the youth level) around the country.

Sure beats another "Play 60" ad.

Now on Facebook. And Twitter.

Regarding the Browns, I could see them using the helmet logo or maybe the helmet stripes.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

NBCSNFscore09.PNG

Looks like this, but they tried fitting team logos into the ball, which were not centered nor fit (for 49ers anyways) and the play clock was a little rectangle that popped out of the circle. Also, seemed larger than this logo from last season.

I do like their scoredboard on the bottom better than Fox's though. It's more readable.

87Redskins.png

Now for them to implement them with MLB and NASCAR so there's some consistency, which they rarely do with their MLB package anyway (it's usually a year behind the NFL graphics though they've been using the FSN graphics for two years, completely different than the NFL and NASCAR look), but I digress

Wonder if this is a sign of things to come - the Fox Sports logo is in the same spot as the MLB on FOX, FSteamname, etc. logos, and the score bug sits in the same spot as the FSN score bug.

Considering Fox has been pushing the Fox Sports brand more on the FSN channel, it's not too far-fetched.

I think it's just a matter of time when the before the FoxBox football scorebar makes its way to the cable side...we'll see when college football coverage begins. Just over the last year, the broadcast side of Fox Sports has been integrating itself more with Fox Sports Net, as it's due to corporate restructuring within News Corp. Before that, David Hill and Ed Goren (the heads of Fox Sports) had very little to with Fox Sports Net other than some cross-promotional stuff, and FSN was under total control of Fox's Cable Networks division. I actually thought that they (Fox) would adopt the FSN football graphics this season anyway.

I know its 2010 and everything is about HD and computer graphics and all that, but what's wrong with something like this:

Screenshot2010-08-23at72248PM.png

It has down & distance, that's all I need. I don't need arrows in motion that look like they're painted on the field, I don't need 3D graphics and all animations and stuff. I'm here to watch football.

This isn't to say that I'm an old curmudgeon who thinks we should pretend it's still 1970. Things like first down lines, constant time/score overlays, etc. are all great ideas.

Just keep it simple. That's all I ask. I don't need graphics flashing and popping up all over my screen.

Just because we have the capability now to do these things with graphics doesn't mean we should. Unfortunately, it's like each network tries to one-up one another with a "now it's your move" type of game.

This FOX bug works by the way.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

NBC is the worst. For some bizarre reason, the low third is a gauzy filter instead of a clear screen. WHY??

ch51sunaug222010080722p.png

That's been a problem since NBC got the NFL license back. It's terrible.

On a side note, many NFL sleeve designs only work if the jersey has sleeves...the Niners' only works on jerseys with newer "sleeves" or lack thereof. Those stripes look awful on a traditionally-sleeved jersey.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I know its 2010 and everything is about HD and computer graphics and all that, but what's wrong with something like this:

Screenshot2010-08-23at72248PM.png

It has down & distance, that's all I need. I don't need arrows in motion that look like they're painted on the field, I don't need 3D graphics and all animations and stuff. I'm here to watch football.

This isn't to say that I'm an old curmudgeon who thinks we should pretend it's still 1970. Things like first down lines, constant time/score overlays, etc. are all great ideas.

Just keep it simple. That's all I ask. I don't need graphics flashing and popping up all over my screen.

Just because we have the capability now to do these things with graphics doesn't mean we should. Unfortunately, it's like each network tries to one-up one another with a "now it's your move" type of game.

This FOX bug works by the way.

I agree with the general idea with your post. The FOX bug could do with less flashing and whatnot and I could definitely do without the down and distance graphic on the field. I've gotten so used to having the score, quarter, and time up at all times though that I have to have it though.

If anyone's interested, NFL Network is currently re-airing the game in HD and SD, but interestingly on the SD channel there are no black bars.

Last night I switched over to the SD Fox channel, and there were no black bars on there either. Anyone else not have black bars on their SD stations?

This was on FOX 56 out of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre

I was switching on comcast just to see how it looked, and on the SD channel it was black bars...did you have a different carrier?

If anyone's interested, NFL Network is currently re-airing the game in HD and SD, but interestingly on the SD channel there are no black bars.

Last night I switched over to the SD Fox channel, and there were no black bars on there either. Anyone else not have black bars on their SD stations?

This was on FOX 56 out of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre

I was switching on comcast just to see how it looked, and on the SD channel it was black bars...did you have a different carrier?

Yeah, we have CATV Service, Inc. out of Danville, PA. On Friday, though, I was in State College and checked the Eagles game out (on Fox 56) using Windstream cable service and it was the same way. Fox 8 on Windstream had the bars, though, so I figured it was a Fox 56 issue as opposed to a cable provider issue.

If I'm just tuning in, I, one: can only tell it's 4th and goal. Two: I have no idea who is winning, or what quarter it is, OR who much time is left in the game.

Why do you need all that information as soon as you turn the channel on? You cant wait, at most, 40 seconds for the play to be run and either see a touchdown or change of possession, both of which will result in a score/time panel being shown?

And you can mostly figure out where they are in the game based on what time it is. It's not like it's baseball where they have unusual starting times across the country and no clock.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned but I enjoyed the old days of watching sports without a constant score bug on it.

Archived