NHL: Defunct Franchise Redesigns

dgnmrwrw

I'm not a huge fan of the two grays, but it doesn't bother me too much. The lighter gray numbers on the road white may be a little hard to see on the ice for the TV audience though. That's just a logistical thought.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apparently you didn't read the first post where be said there's no need for team requests in this thread.

You're actually 100% correct.

His first post was way too verbose for me, so I just skipped over the text and went straight for the good stuff (his concepts.) So, excuse me for not reading the fine print.

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

I have to say this, the Tigers logo... OMG!!!! Wow that is one beautiful logo ... I'm impressed for sure... and the other defunct teams I am sure ya will have great ideas to work to make them more realistic in this time... again, wow great work!!!

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Apparently you didn't read the first post where be said there's no need for team requests in this thread.

You're actually 100% correct.

His first post was way too verbose for me, so I just skipped over the text and went straight for the good stuff (his concepts.) So, excuse me for not reading the fine print.

It's not fine print when it's the same size as everything else. :P

Quick update on the Hamilton concept: I switched the numerals on the road jersey to charcoal instead of gray. Hopefully this helps clear them up. I also eliminated some of the stripes on the alternate socks, and I changed the rotation slightly on the full-bodied tiger logo. (I'm still trying to address the back legs on the tiger; I haven't yet come up with a solution that isn't as awkward as it is right now. But I'll definitely keep trying at it.)

But the next team is almost complete. I'm just trying to make a few last minute choices, but it will probably be posted tomorrow.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

#2: Kansas City Scouts

Kansas City, MO // Relocated 1976

Logo.png

This one has a lot of compromises. I wanted to start with the Scout statue--which of course was the image in the original logo--and expand on its style and meaning. So I wanted a native american, scanning the horizon with hair blowing in the wind. Originally, I wanted to have the arm and hand shielding the eyes in there (like the Scout statue), but it just looked too awkward and made the logo even more horizontally elongated. So I nixed the hand and arm, while keeping the scout looking into the distance, with a stylized sun behind him. The colors are an updated version of the Scouts' old scheme: navy blue, rust, and gold.

When I think about the old Scouts' uniforms, what immediately comes to mind is stripes. Stripes freakin' everywhere. So I wanted to keep the same stripe-heavy look, while making it more modern. So there's piping around the shoulders and sleeve numbers on the front which wraps around down the back, with lots of alternating striping coming out from behind the piping. The home jersey is rust with navy blue pants... the opposite arrangement of what the old Scouts wore, but a look that works better to my eye. On the shoulders, there's an updated KC monogram with feathers as a patch logo.

For the alternate, I bit the bullet and did an almost paint-by-numbers update of the old blue jerseys. I normally wouldn't do that, but the old Scouts logo and jerseys were so distinctive, it seemed appropriate. So I've done a slightly updated circle logo with the Scout statue and the KC, along with reproducing the old striping pattern in the new colors. (No striping on the waist, only because it was stripe overkill to me. Personal choice on that one.)

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

There are a few things about this set that still bother me, but I've been working on it for quite a while and I keep coming back to what I've presented here as the best set of solutions. Feedback is greatly welcomed, as I still think this one could be improved.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Uni-Alt.png

There are a few things about this set that still bother me, but I've been working on it for quite a while and I keep coming back to what I've presented here as the best set of solutions. Feedback is greatly welcomed, as I still think this one could be improved.

I LOVE this third. I do not care for the logo on the primary, however. I just think it's too busy, plus the Blackhawks own the "Indian Head" look in the NHL... I know with a name like "Scouts" it's hard to come up with something that's NOT an Indian head (which is probably why I love their original logo - and your alt - so freakin much!) That being said, as a designer, I think part of the creative genius of the job is taking a team name like "Scouts" and coming up with something completely original (something that's not an Indian, or an Indian head for that matter), and make it work. Well, not only work.. but make it "POP!"

Keep up the good work.

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

ps) I know this is completely off topic.. but in a couple weeks/months when you finish this concept series, can I make a request?

I loved your defunct minor league re-design, and thus far this series is amazing. But I think this would be rad too -

Paying homage to the little-known California Hockey League of 1927-1933! Before the Seals. Before the Kings. Before the Sharks. Before the 2007 Stanley Cup Champion Anaheim Ducks...

There were these guys:

* Oakland Sheiks (1928-1933)

* San Francisco Tigers (1928-1931)

* Los Angeles Richfields (1928-1930)

* Hollywood Millionaires (1928-1930)

* Oakland Checkers (1930-1933)

* Los Angeles Millionaires (1930-1931, 1932-1933)

* Anaheim Valencias (1930-1931)

* San Francisco Tigers (1930-1931)

* San Francisco Black Hawks (1930-1931)

* San Francisco Rangers (1931-1933)

* Los Angeles Angels (1931-1932)

Champions

* 1929 - Oakland Sheiks

* 1930 - Oakland Sheiks

* 1931 - Oakland Sheiks

* 1932 - Hollywood Stars

* 1933 - Oakland Sheiks

Ohhhh man! I get butterflies just thinking about how rad you could make these!!! The Sheiks would have to be my most eagerly-awaited concept!

But again, I apologize, this is completely off topic and I don't want to hijack... But please keep this in mind for the future =)

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

Awesome concept! That retro alternate is spot on! Your Scouts logo is great. I love the stripes on the home and road, but as a traditionalist I'm not a fan of the piping cutting it off. I also personally think that one of the things that made the Scouts jerseys so cool was also the shoulders. Maybe incorporate shoulder yokes on the jerseys? Great job!

Oh my goodness those are beautiful!!! The logos are INCREDIBLE, especially the primary, and the uniforms are really solid as well. The color scheme is great too...I've always thought dark red, navy and gold were a perfect combo. Wow man, wow.

Archived