NHL: Defunct Franchise Redesigns

dgnmrwrw

#5: Montreal Maroons

Montreal, QC // Folded 1938

Logo.png

First, the conceptual development. In reading about the Maroons, what interested me the most was the fact that they "represented" the city's Anglophone areas and fans, while the Canadiens were the team for the Francophones. So I really wanted to play up that idea in a few ways, by drawing inspiration from English and pro-Unionist symbols and by making them the anti-Canadiens, stylistically speaking. So they primary logo features a regal lion (symbol for England) in a shield flanked by beveled slash marks, with a beveled M beneath. I obviously kept maroon as the primary color, but added gold as an accent. All the type is custom.

For the uniforms, I wanted to give them a classic base, while doing some modern things and differentiating them from their cross-town rivals. So I included a shoulder yoke and chest striping (both of which are used by the Habs), but I truncated both sections with thin gold piping. Hopefully this creates a look that's a modern interpretation of a classic hockey style. On the shoulders, there's a patch consisting of a white shield with an M above a red cross, with a crown above. Both the cross (St. George's cross) and the crown (Loyalist Civil Coronet) are Anglophone/English symbols.

I avoided a gold jersey for the alternate, choosing instead to create another maroon jersey that's pretty different from the primary. So I used lots of thick white striping and gold numbers while keeping the same gold piping on the chest and back to unify the look of the complete package. The M/crown logo is the crest, and it's set in front of a white sash. The lion is on the shoulders.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first 2 didn't say NHL to me at all. These last 2 are great and really fit the NHL. The Americans are perfect. The marroons colors look off though. It looks very brown to me (I am colorblind though) but is anyoneone else having this problem? it'sr eally messing with my eys

The shoulder patch blows me away with how perfect it is for this team. The lion looks great also, I just don't think Maroons when I see it. I understand your explanation though. Great font, nice and classic with appropriate tweaks.

Keep up the awesome concepts. They blow me away everytime.

The colours and logo are nice, and everything is really well done -- but I hate that jersey template, particularly the home and away. The third is pretty cool though...

Someone in the league should definitely be sporting this colour scheme (I'm looking at you phoenix.) Why is maroon so under-used in the pro leagues? Its cool and unique, and it seems to me, would make for very wearable/modern/marketable merchendise.

Nice job.

Not a bad idea. Overall, the lion concept looks phenomenal. Especially adding gold to the mix of color scheme. However, I'm not sold on it. As great as the uniforms look, I can't buy the concept. I see Montreal as being more of a grassroots kind of place when it comes to their French heritage. Maybe that's just me. But, from a design aspect these look tremendous. I especially love the third.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

#5: Montreal Maroons

Montreal, QC // Folded 1938

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Alt.png

I LOVE the alt!!! IMO, the third jersey would make a better primary jersey! That secondary "M" shoulder logo is a far more impressive logo than the primary "regal" lion thing you've got going on...

Also, I think the team's home uni is too monochromatic... Perhaps you could use white or gold pants on that uni? I am in love with that third though... nicely done as always!

Logo-2.png

^^^Amazing logo!!!

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

Is it weird that I get excited whenever I see you've posted a new one? lol. These are just great, just top notch in every aspect.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

I love everything except the M in the primary logo. It's awkwardly-placed and I think you could do without it. Love the jerseys and the color scheme but I'm disappointed at the lack of a gold alternate, especially since you have two maroon jerseys. Maybe you could make the third gold with a maroon sash?

I was gonna say the exact same thing about the M. It looks kinda just stuck there. At the same time, I do see why its there -- something sorta needs to be there, an M or otherwise... I don't see a need for a gold alternate however -- I'm of the opinion the 3rd doesn't need to be so drastic a change from the other 2, and kinda like the consistency. Which isn't to say a gold one couldn't look cool, and I'd be curious to see it. I generally like gold jerseys, but this shade could be iffy. If there was one, I'd like to see a lot of white, and not necessarily a tonne of the maroon.

Damn...this is great. That's one beautiful rendering of a lion. Like other have said, the "M" in the primary probably doesn't need to be there, but overall, this is some fantastic work! My one gripe (other than the M) is probably the number font...it might mesh a bit better if it were a bit closer to the "M" in the shield.

Is it weird that I get excited whenever I see you've posted a new one? lol. These are just great, just top notch in every aspect.

I log on here everyday hoping for a new concept in this series!! I just hope he starts doing ORIGINAL NHL teams (pre-"Original Six") once he covers the most famous defunct NHL clubs... Also, I hope he does modern defunct clubs like the Seals, Barons, Rockies, Scouts, etc. (yes, I realize that the Seals became the Barons, and the Barons became the North Stars and the North Stars became the Stars... and the Scouts became the Rockies, and the Rockies became the Devils, but you know what I mean! Those teams aren't around anymore, even though their current incarnations may "own" their history....)

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

2227424670080.gif

I love it so much. The jerseys are fantastic even though everyone will probably hate on them.

HAHAHA!! :D That .gif is great. Where can you find these?? Everytime I try I come up with nothing.

As for the concept, this is incredible. I love the idea behind it and I think you executed very, very well. My only critique is to make the "M" on the shield and the primary solid gold. Other than that, this is absolutely flawless. Great job, I always enjoy your work. Can't wait to see what you come up with next!!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Logo-2.png

I am in love with this logo.

It's amazing. I think you should scrap the lion, and just use this. I think it's a classic example of "less is more" in terms of "M" over the lion... The lion looks too much like a buffalo to me as well. Those horns you added (those are horns, right?) definitely give it a "bison" feel.. I think the "M" is a strong primary mark, and would totally work as the main logo for this club.

Just my opinion, I know it's not worth much, but I figured I'd throw it out there..

ps) The maple leafs you put on the crown are brilliant. Just another one of those subtle details that separate the geniuses from the amateurs.

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

Those horns you added (those are horns, right?) definitely give it a "bison" feel..

I think those are it's ears.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Archived