NHL: Defunct Franchise Redesigns

dgnmrwrw

#9: Winnipeg Jets

Winnipeg, MB // Relocated 1996

Logo.png

For this one I wanted a modernization, using newer elements but basing them on borrowed style. So for the primary logo, I wanted it to be text-based (since all of the Jets logos always were) and use a small stylized jet, like their last logo did. It went through several different versions, but I settled on a large, bright blue W with a jet streaking up in front, with the jet's red contrail forming a very abstract J shape. The colors are blue (a little lighter that what they used to wear), red, and midnight blue.

The primary uniforms also used modernized borrowed elements. The striping is reminiscent of the style the Jets always used: thick white (or blue) sections bordered by red. There are sweeping sections of the striping on the sides that arc up from the back to the front. I also included some midnight blue piping, some of which is on the sleeves to mimic the Jets' old sleeve sections from the 80's.

The alternate uniform is midnight blue, and keeps the same general style as the primaries, but with a Canadian Forces Air Command theme (Winnipeg is home to CFB Winnipeg). The crest is loosely based off of an older style of RCAF crew wings, with a jet soaring vertically out of a blue circle, with stylized wings on either side. The light blue and red striping on the jersey matches the style of the logo. On the shoulders is an Air Command roundel, reproduced in the new colors.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again, another amazing concept! The logo is really well done, the number font is SICK, and the uniforms are modern but not over the top, and they look really, really good. The only critique I can think of is that the logo and C patch are really close together on the alternate, but other than that these are perfect. Keep it up!!!

I'm on the fence about the inclusion of black in the color set. I think sticking with red white and blue would be better, and more traditional. Perhaps 2 shades of blue, one darker and one lighter?

The colors are blue (a little lighter that what they used to wear), red, and midnight blue.

I love this.

To whoever said the piping kills his concepts, while for some piping may not be the best option, I think he usually does a great job with it. I normally don't pay attention to jersey detail at all, but I always look at these jerseys, because there so unique, not just horizontal striping. While I like some horizontal striped jerseys as well, I love these for their uniqueness, just my 2 cents, great concept either way.

I agree that this is another great concept, and while I understand your objective regarding modernization, the piping does hurt this concept slightly, but that's just a personal preference. Well done!

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Wow! Just amazing! I'm usually not a fan of your use of piping, but I really like it on all 3 of these jerseys! The logo is fantastic and the Canadian Forces theme blows me away! No critique here, just praise. Way to take a entrenched classic and make it new and awesome!

I think what you've done with the Jets is creative, imaginative and really well executed. I think unlike the others though, I'd probably have to sit on this one for a bit before believing it was the team's look whereas with your others I felt like the team ought to don those sweaters right now.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

The Jets concept just blew me away. It looks fantastic... and like I should be surprised, but I noticed the silhouette of the airplane you used is indeed a Hornet (known in Canadian service as the CF-18). Nice touch of authenticity.

teamlogossig.png

There comes a point when you don't stand for the constant heartbreak anymore, and walk away.

Thanks to everyone for commenting. I know the piping continues to be a problem for some people. I get that it's just not everyone's cup of tea. However, it does seem to be the trend for the current era of uniform design, and I for one like it... when it's just properly. For instance, I try to use my piping either to frame other elements (such as the upward-swooping side stripes) that would otherwise be problematic or to evoke a shape or element that I didn't want to actually include (such as the reference to the Jet's old shoulder/sleeve stripes from the 1980s). I also like the way piping lets us create incredibly thin and detailed uniform elements that may not have been feasible back in the day: I think it can create a lot more depth to uniform design.

But in general, I agree with the anti-pipers when it comes to piping that seems completely arbitrary or piping that goes nowhere: for example, the Buffalo Bills' random shoulder yoke outline, the wavy and random piping used by Missouri or Wake Forest football, and the phantom shoulder yoke used by a few NHL teams (including, unfortunately, my Hurricanes). But all that said, I am doing my best with the remaining teams to find a healthy balance.

The Jets concept just blew me away. It looks fantastic... and like I should be surprised, but I noticed the silhouette of the airplane you used is indeed a Hornet (known in Canadian service as the CF-18). Nice touch of authenticity.

Thanks, and I'm really impressed that someone went to the trouble to look into and confirm this. Nice.

Also, the Jets have been updated and finalized. I did some tweaking of the wings and the type treatment on the alternate crest, and it helped relieve the interference with the captains' letters. It's still kinda close, but much better I think.

Next team may be up later today.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Archived