NHL: Defunct Franchise Redesigns

dgnmrwrw

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first thing I actually thought of was UTEP, even though the two don't really resemble each other.

That being said, it's a hell of a step forward for that identity and the alternate is great, as are the colors. Fantastic work once again. Probably my favorite of the series in terms of it's imagination and creativity and that's saying a lot given the work you've done.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

#9: Winnipeg Jets

Winnipeg, MB // Relocated 1996

Logo.png

For this one I wanted a modernization, using newer elements but basing them on borrowed style. So for the primary logo, I wanted it to be text-based (since all of the Jets logos always were) and use a small stylized jet, like their last logo did. It went through several different versions, but I settled on a large, bright blue W with a jet streaking up in front, with the jet's red contrail forming a very abstract J shape. The colors are blue (a little lighter that what they used to wear), red, and midnight blue.

The primary uniforms also used modernized borrowed elements. The striping is reminiscent of the style the Jets always used: thick white (or blue) sections bordered by red. There are sweeping sections of the striping on the sides that arc up from the back to the front. I also included some midnight blue piping, some of which is on the sleeves to mimic the Jets' old sleeve sections from the 80's.

The alternate uniform is midnight blue, and keeps the same general style as the primaries, but with a Canadian Forces Air Command theme (Winnipeg is home to CFB Winnipeg). The crest is loosely based off of an older style of RCAF crew wings, with a jet soaring vertically out of a blue circle, with stylized wings on either side. The light blue and red striping on the jersey matches the style of the logo. On the shoulders is an Air Command roundel, reproduced in the new colors.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

Nice primary uniforms - but I would like to see the alternate as a retro Jets uniform.

"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin

As a colorado native, I hate this concept.

Does not represent Colorado at all.

Sorry but huge miss here.

Like the concept, but would like to see a different color scheme. My mind immediately jumped to old school LA Kings.

Amazing again! When I read purple and gold I thought it might be too close to the old Kings jerseys, but I think this stands on its own. I love that the logo is simple yet complex. That is a hard point to get across. I think it is clean and professional and you can tell a lot of time was put into it, but at the same time a kid doodling at his desk could draw something that resembled this logo. That sounded like a dig, but I assure you it was a compliment. Ah, now I'm just rambling...

Awesome!

I really like the Rockies concept. When they moved from Kansas City, they kept the same colors, probably because their state flag is the basis for the team colors.

Very nice concept, I love the "R" logo!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

I think that Rockies concept is too busy for a baseball jersey, plus...it's totally against what he's doing here which is hockey jerseys of defunct franchises. While the Rockies look might be somewhat vanilla, I think the implementation was done well on the whole given they took it from a dormant hockey team that'd left town ages before.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

I think the Rockies uniforms could use a smidgen of red to really give it that failed expansion (or in this case, relocation) feel.

The stripes on the arm are also something you've done before, maybe they should go straight instead on in that often used V shape.

Still, another great concept. I really loved that piping was absent from this one.

thecatch.jpg

#2: Kansas City Scouts

Kansas City, MO // Relocated 1976

Logo.png

This one has a lot of compromises. I wanted to start with the Scout statue--which of course was the image in the original logo--and expand on its style and meaning. So I wanted a native american, scanning the horizon with hair blowing in the wind. Originally, I wanted to have the arm and hand shielding the eyes in there (like the Scout statue), but it just looked too awkward and made the logo even more horizontally elongated. So I nixed the hand and arm, while keeping the scout looking into the distance, with a stylized sun behind him. The colors are an updated version of the Scouts' old scheme: navy blue, rust, and gold.

When I think about the old Scouts' uniforms, what immediately comes to mind is stripes. Stripes freakin' everywhere. So I wanted to keep the same stripe-heavy look, while making it more modern. So there's piping around the shoulders and sleeve numbers on the front which wraps around down the back, with lots of alternating striping coming out from behind the piping. The home jersey is rust with navy blue pants... the opposite arrangement of what the old Scouts wore, but a look that works better to my eye. On the shoulders, there's an updated KC monogram with feathers as a patch logo.

For the alternate, I bit the bullet and did an almost paint-by-numbers update of the old blue jerseys. I normally wouldn't do that, but the old Scouts logo and jerseys were so distinctive, it seemed appropriate. So I've done a slightly updated circle logo with the Scout statue and the KC, along with reproducing the old striping pattern in the new colors. (No striping on the waist, only because it was stripe overkill to me. Personal choice on that one.)

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

There are a few things about this set that still bother me, but I've been working on it for quite a while and I keep coming back to what I've presented here as the best set of solutions. Feedback is greatly welcomed, as I still think this one could be improved.

Though I'm not a fan of most of the modern RBK striping in the NHL I'm not adverse to all of it. I love the entire Scouts set you have here. It all makes sense. I feel the logo may be a bit more Minor League than NHL - but not by much. I'd kill for the Preds to move to KC and use this set.

#5: Montreal Maroons

Montreal, QC // Folded 1938

Logo.png

First, the conceptual development. In reading about the Maroons, what interested me the most was the fact that they "represented" the city's Anglophone areas and fans, while the Canadiens were the team for the Francophones. So I really wanted to play up that idea in a few ways, by drawing inspiration from English and pro-Unionist symbols and by making them the anti-Canadiens, stylistically speaking. So they primary logo features a regal lion (symbol for England) in a shield flanked by beveled slash marks, with a beveled M beneath. I obviously kept maroon as the primary color, but added gold as an accent. All the type is custom.

For the uniforms, I wanted to give them a classic base, while doing some modern things and differentiating them from their cross-town rivals. So I included a shoulder yoke and chest striping (both of which are used by the Habs), but I truncated both sections with thin gold piping. Hopefully this creates a look that's a modern interpretation of a classic hockey style. On the shoulders, there's a patch consisting of a white shield with an M above a red cross, with a crown above. Both the cross (St. George's cross) and the crown (Loyalist Civil Coronet) are Anglophone/English symbols.

I avoided a gold jersey for the alternate, choosing instead to create another maroon jersey that's pretty different from the primary. So I used lots of thick white striping and gold numbers while keeping the same gold piping on the chest and back to unify the look of the complete package. The M/crown logo is the crest, and it's set in front of a white sash. The lion is on the shoulders.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

Again, this is a solid case of perfect use of the modern lines. It doesn't feel cluttered or busy. And I'd love that third regal jersey.

@ the Rockies - I think that alt is perhaps the best alt you've done throughout the entire series. I can't clearly see the shoulder patch on the primary road/home.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The Rockies concept is very well executed, and captures the image of miners real well. The only problem I have is that the color scheme doesn't "pop" out to me. Maybe it's because blue and orange have been seen before so many times or what not. I don't know. It's a beautiful concept, but it's a tiny bit bland to me.

How am I seeing this thread for the first time today...?

It's amazing. Concept series of the year? I think so.

Amazing stuff my man, I look forward to more from you.

Definitely love the Barons and Whalers concepts.

The Whalers alternate logo (Harpoon over the H) is absolutely amazing.

As for the Barons, this would have to make Cleveland Proud. Your depiction of the Key Bank Tower is stunning, and accurate.

Great job, once again.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Archived