Next Move Or Expansion

ltjets21

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So that would be "wild guess," then. ;)

No.

So if it's not a wild guess, would you like to expand and give some reasons to the simple "Oakland (Raiders) to Los Angeles" statement?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

The NBA should've never moved from Seattle, but really as a former Supersonics fan, I wouldn't want either the Kings or even the Clippers... that's like learning you have cancer. They should simply expand like cyandlux said, in Seattle and perhaps in Kansas City since they have the Sprint Center.

Here's hoping San Antonio can get the Jaguars, if the Rams and/or Chargers relocate to Los Angeles and close off that market for good.

I'm thinking it's an NHL team that moves next. Not sure which team but there are several US based teams that don't seem to have the support. There's been alot of talk about another team in southern Ontario but my money is on Quebec. Seems like the wheels are in motion for a new arena already so I think a return of the Nordiques will happen.

NHA - Kelowna Kodiaks - .455 winning percentage
Season 4: 13-26-11 3rd Smythe
Season 5: 21-21-8 2nd Smythe
Season 6: 16-30-4 4th Smythe

Season 7: 26-17-7 1st Norris - lost in 1st round

The NBA should've never moved from Seattle, but really as a former Supersonics fan, I wouldn't want either the Kings or even the Clippers... that's like learning you have cancer. They should simply expand like cyandlux said, in Seattle and perhaps in Kansas City since they have the Sprint Center.

Here's hoping San Antonio can get the Jaguars, if the Rams and/or Chargers relocate to Los Angeles and close off that market for good.

I highly doubt that.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I'm all for Seattle eventually getting another NBA team, but they have to pick a new name. No more Cleveland Deals. The Thunder are the Sonics. It's best we all learnt to deal with that very clear fact.

Just voicing my displeasure concerning the whole Cleveland Deal thing. I know it can suck for the fans, but I feel that teams should be allowed to continue with their "legacy" as it were even after moving. Not only should they have the right to do so, but it's disingenuous to pretend otherwise.

I think "disingenuous" is a bit strong.

Depends, I guess, what value you assign to the various parts of an organization. Each NFL club is granted a certificate signifying their right to field a team in the league. For many years, that was what was meant by "franchise." More than just an academic argument, this was serious business - when Curly Lambeau was fired by the Packers, there was serious concern in team offices that Curly took the franchise certificate with him.

Art Modell decided to leave his franchise behind in Cleveland, to avoid lawsuits. He took his personnel and equipment, but left the franchise behind for the new club to use. What's the issue? Unusual circumstances, perhaps, but reasonable enough.

NHL to Winnipeg and maybe Quebec City.. would be great.. Hamilton on the other hand hmm... What about Milwaukee? and I know Kansas City is maybe in the mix for a NHL or NBA team?

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

I think it would be cool to have an NFL team in the Oregon area with the passion that runs strong for football there. But maybe the college football passion wouldn't translate to the NFL.

And the Rays to anywhere but the Tampa area. Orlando, Vegas, somewhere.

2ly2w09.jpg

I think "disingenuous" is a bit strong.

Depends, I guess, what value you assign to the various parts of an organization. Each NFL club is granted a certificate signifying their right to field a team in the league. For many years, that was what was meant by "franchise." More than just an academic argument, this was serious business - when Curly Lambeau was fired by the Packers, there was serious concern in team offices that Curly took the franchise certificate with him.

Art Modell decided to leave his franchise behind in Cleveland, to avoid lawsuits. He took his personnel and equipment, but left the franchise behind for the new club to use. What's the issue? Unusual circumstances, perhaps, but reasonable enough.

Yes, legally it's all nice and clear cut. Look at it this way though. The same players who played for the 1995-1996 Cleveland Browns were the same players (mostly) who played for the 1996-1997 Baltimore Ravens. You can play that game all day long right back to the founding date of the original Cleveland Browns. Meanwhile the legal "Cleveland Browns" franchise didn't play between 1995 and 1999. When they did take the field again it was a roster, personnel staff, and ownership completely separate from the team that left in 1995. It's incredibly fake to say that the 1999 Browns were the same franchise that Jim Brown played for, the same franchise that tore up the AAFC and the NFL in the late 50s/early 60s. It wasn't. This was a new team, built from scratch, using the name and colours of the original team that bolted for Baltimore four years earlier. Yes, it's a nice touchy feely story for the city of Cleveland, but in the reality the historic Cleveland Browns are now in fact playing in Baltimore as the Ravens.

At the end of the day teams are private entities that own their name, logos, and colours used for branding the same way GE or CBS does. Their identity is their property. They have a right to take it with them if they move. It belongs to them, and the legacy of the team belongs to them. Not the city. I'm sorry, I can't sit here pretend that the current Cleveland Browns are anything more then a 1999 expansion team with a grand total of zero post-season wins under their belt. To me the team that was the Cleveland Browns from 1946-1995 plays in Baltimore now.

The same goes for the hopeful return of the Jets to Winnipeg in the NHL. If the Coyotes move back, great, they can be the Jets. If any other team moves there, or if they get an expansion team, I would hope they get a new name.

I have to wonder about the NFL Cleveland Browns.. I know in one of my sports projects (Excel program) that I am following teams histories (putting up the win-loss-tie atats for regular seasons and playoffs only with results like miss the playoffs or round loss or championship title) and I do have both the Browns and the Baltimore Ravens in there... but for Cleveland I have put a N/A on the 1995 to 1998 seasons for the Browns while the Ravens did play in 1996.. I dunno if I would have to link up the old Cleveland Browns records with the current Baltimore Ravens records or leave them as is separated? That certainly would help if it would reflect on the team lineage...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

On a local Radio station here in Los Angeles, I heard a rumor that the Sacramento Kings were/still are considering relocating to A.) Las Vegas (Personally, I wouldn't mind this) or B.) Anaheim, CA. Yes I said Anaheim. Could you imagine that? Three professional basketball teams playing within a 30 miles of each other? Just a quick drive up the I-405?? Crazy.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Cleveland Browns stuff

I just look at it the way I look at the Portland Rosebuds: believe whatever you want to believe. I like to think of the Browns being one franchise. Tidier that way.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived