Re-Brands That Never Happened

ThePreacher

I had heard years ago the DISNEY is the holder of the RCMP image and they make decision on behalf of the RCMP on it's use. Anyone else ever hear this?

**IN MID POST I THOUGHT I SHOULD GOOGLE IT**

About the RCMP Licencing Program

Before 1995 there was no licensing program and the RCMP had little control over what products were made in their image. The Mounted Police Foundation (MPF) was set up in 1995 in response to the popularity of unlicenced products and concerns that these products were having a detrimental effect on the RCMP's reputation. Since then, the MPF has licensed RCMP products ensuring that only high quality products are sold. In turn, the MPF charges a royalty on every licenced product sold and uses those royalties toward enhancing community safety.

When the Mounted Police Foundation was originally set up there was some controversy about Disney's involvement with the licensing program. Soon after the MPF was set up, they realized that they didn't have the knowledge or experience in product licencing and marketing. Clearly they needed outside assistance to set up their program. Disney was chosen because they had an international presence, superior licensing knowledge, and an appropriate corporate image that met the RCMP's requirements. Disney was given a 5 year contract to handle the marketing and licencing of RCMP products on behalf of the Mounted Police Foundation (Disney never owned the rights, they just acted as an agent on behalf of the RCMP). That agreement has now expired, and although there was some controversy over the decision, the experience Disney offered set the licensing program on a smooth path now followed by the Foundation.

As of 2002 the MPF has granted over a million dollars received from royalties, on licensed RCMP products, to community programs and projects that enhance the safety of all Canadians. Some of these programs include: Crime Prevention Programs, Youth Programs, Anti-Violence Programs, and Anti-Drug Programs. The Mounted Police Post, mountieshop.com, is proud to support the Mounted Police Foundation in its' efforts to make Canada a better place to live. When you buy licensed RCMP products through our store and through this website; not only are you getting high quality products, you are also supporting this important effort!

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adding to the Mounties debate: There was a Pioneer League baseball team in Lethbridge, Alta., called the Mounties from 1992 to 1995. Damned if I can find a copy of their logo on the internet, though.

However, after a little digging through the boxes of my stuff my parents didn't want cluttering up the closet in my old room anymore, I did manage to find a souvenir program from the 1994 season:

mounties1994.jpg

In 1995, the team changed their name to the Lethbridge Black Diamonds: a nod to the area's coal mining history; a subtle play on "Diamondbacks," the clubs new major league affiliate; and one of my favourite Studio Simon creations ever.

LethbridgeBlackDiamonds2.GIF

LethbridgeBlackDiamonds3.GIF

LethridgeBlackDiamonds96.GIF

Starks.jpg

new_unis.jpg

Re-Brand That Never Should Have Happened.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || BehanceΒ ||

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard that, when they moved to Salt Lake in 1979, the Jazz held a name-the-team contest (not that it would have mattered--the team apparently didn't have enough money to afford new uniforms). Have there been any articles mentioning the possibilities?

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I had a picture somewhere that has a guy wearing a Copperheads concept jersey where the sleeves had the Tennessee three star emblem that's found on the flag and green stripes. It was a white jersey. I'll keep searching for it

Edit: Found it along with a logo concept??

bill1.jpg

TennesseeCopperheads02.jpg

I've heard about the Tennessee Copperheads proposed name, and seen the helmet concept, but this is the very first time I've seen the jersey concept. I must admit that the whole thing is beginning to grow on me, after the fact. B)

By the way, any ideas on if there was a dark jersey produced, or the appearance of the pants and socks? If not, how about speculation?

--Larry

I've heard that, when they moved to Salt Lake in 1979, the Jazz held a name-the-team contest (not that it would have mattered--the team apparently didn't have enough money to afford new uniforms). Have there been any articles mentioning the possibilities?

From Mental Floss...

"No, Utah isn?t known for its Jazz. The team originated in New Orleans in 1974 and club officials decided to keep the name after relocating to Salt Lake City in 1979. The Jazz nickname was originally chosen through a name-the-team contest, which produced seven other finalists: Dukes, Crescents, Pilots, Cajuns, Blues, Deltas, and Knights. Deltas would?ve translated to Salt Lake City rather well (the airline of the same name has a hub there), while Cajuns may have been even worse than Jazz."

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

From Mental Floss...

"No, Utah isn?t known for its Jazz. The team originated in New Orleans in 1974 and club officials decided to keep the name after relocating to Salt Lake City in 1979. The Jazz nickname was originally chosen through a name-the-team contest, which produced seven other finalists: Dukes, Crescents, Pilots, Cajuns, Blues, Deltas, and Knights. Deltas would?ve translated to Salt Lake City rather well (the airline of the same name has a hub there), while Cajuns may have been even worse than Jazz."

DustDevil said when they moved to Utah, thats talking about when they started in New Orleans.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

From Mental Floss...

DustDevil said when they moved to Utah, thats talking about when they started in New Orleans.

I realize this. There was, however, NO "Name-the-Team Contest" held in Salt Lake City when the team was moved there in 1979. Ownership, because of the aforementioned financial situation, could not afford new uniforms and kept the name "Jazz."

Also, The Jazz name was originally selected because of its definition in the dictionary: collective improvisation. Kind of reminds me of the Blazers logo... "collective improvisation."

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

Here's an interesting one... The Boston Celtics were originally slated to be named the "Boston Unicorns", after the long-standing mascot of the City's Athletic Association:

250px-Boston_Athletic_Association_svg.png

Fortunately, Walter Brown, who headed the Boston Garden Arena Corporation decided to name the team the Celtics, explaining, "The name has a great basketball tradition from the old Original Celtics in New York (1914-1939). And Boston is full of Irishmen." Other nicknames considered were: Whirlwinds, Olympians and Beaneaters.

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

I've heard about the Tennessee Copperheads proposed name, and seen the helmet concept, but this is the very first time I've seen the jersey concept. I must admit that the whole thing is beginning to grow on me, after the fact. B)

By the way, any ideas on if there was a dark jersey produced, or the appearance of the pants and socks? If not, how about speculation?

--Larry

I remember the website (wish I had gotten a screenshot or swiped the graphics ... )

Dark jersey was green, pretty much parallel to the white jersey. White numbers with the copper outlines, etc. Pants for the white jersey were green, and pants for the green jersey were white.

I remember that the person who put these up proposed something interesting: playoff pants! If the team got to the playoffs, they'd wear copper pants with the regular jerseys. I thought that was funny.

Also, it's not clear on the jersey, but that copperhead slithering over a leaf logo was to be on the jersey itself.

That would't have been a rebrand...that was a original concept design.

And no...it shouldn't have happened, it didn't happen, and we're all better off for it.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

I'm with you on the current Jags uniforms--except I don't see them as boring, but rather completely unnecessary, and in shrink-wrap guise, butt-nasty.

They never should have ditched the previous look. Or oversaturated it with all the black circa 2007.

Archived