Re-Brands That Never Happened

ThePreacher

Here's one I discovered during NY Giants mini-camp last May at their practice facility. It seems that when the Giants moved to New Jersey around 1976 they had proposed a name change and a change of logo on their helmet. They obviously didn't go through with it but it was made into a pennant:

IMG_6067.jpg

nyg_njlogo.jpg

Wow. I'm a Skins fan and I want that...I always call them the NJ Giants to annoy their fans. :D

Couldn't they just call your team the Maryland Redskins???

We prefer Landover Redskins...or at least I do...

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

The Arsenal-Colorado connection is because Stan Kroenke is a majority shareholder in Arsenal and the Rapids.

The largest single shareholder, to be sure, but not the majority shareholder.

Not yet, at any rate. He buys a couple more shares and he's legally obligated to buy them all. Might have to be a hostile takeover, though - the club doesn't want that.

I do seem to recall that kroenke bought into Arsenal right *after* the Rapids inked a deal with them, but could be wrong about the timing.

The Jets should be the New Jersey Jets. They moved their training camp there and they had a chance to build a stadium in NY but they decide to share a stadium with the Giants.

Um, No. Their training camp is in upstate New York and as mentioned by IceCap, they went in 50-50 with the Giants on New Meadowlands when a proposed stadium in the city was voted down.

I think what goldthorpe is talking about is the Jets' Florham Park facilities in NJ. They moved there from Hemptsted out on Long Island as part of the agreement with the State of New Jersey that basically allowed them to go in on the New Meadowlands Stadium and now where they hold their training camp. The Giants still hold their training camp in Albany, NY.

Actually both the Giants and Jets hold a portion of their training camps in New York; the Giants in Albany as you said and the Jets in Cortland. The Jets year-round training complex is in Florham Park, NJ just like the Giants year-round Timex training complex is right next to the New Meadowlands stadium.

I dont know if these have been posted yet on another thread but here were some different attempts at the Bucs logo change in 1996.

AltBucsLog2.jpg

AltBucsLog3.jpg

AltBucsLog4.jpg

AltBucsLog5.jpg

AltBucsLog8.jpg

AltBucsLogo1.jpg

Oh, those are cool! Call me "old school", but I like the white helmet. I wonder what the uniform would've looked like? Thanks for posting, imawalkingcorpse! :)

--Larry

Anyone else tired of seeing the 'prototype' thread come up every single month?

I agree, yet somehow I read it every time.

I've only been a member of this site since June... So Pardon me if I didn't realize there were prior incarnations of this post in the roughly 5,000 threads on this website lol.

I'm sure this, much like 90% of the other topics out there, is a recycled theme. I mean, there's only so many logo-related topics we can discuss.

I just hope that some of the stuff posted on here is original. And yes, I do realize there are similar threads like "Concepts Never Used" (the 49ers rebrand comes to mind), but I tried to stay away from that by focusing on franchises that rebranded their ENTIRE identity midway through their existence (I used the Washington Bullets -> Washington Wizards as my prime example.)

And btw, if someone is tired of seeing these threads I have some advice for you - DON'T READ THEM! Haha.

If you've only been the member of a community since June, I have some advice for you. Don't be a :censored:.

Yea, because creating a topic which, apparently, has been done a couple times in the last several years and is now buried on page 4,117 totally makes me a "censored."

No but the fact you seem to come off as a cocky prick in every thread you have posted does.

GUUYSS!!!! FIGHTING IS LIKE SUPER SILLY! CANT WE DISCUSS UNIFORMS? :D Dont drink that hatorade! :D :D Dont hate! Appriciate! :D

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

I dont know if these have been posted yet on another thread but here were some different attempts at the Bucs logo change in 1996.

AltBucsLog2.jpg

AltBucsLog3.jpg

AltBucsLog4.jpg

AltBucsLog5.jpg

AltBucsLog8.jpg

AltBucsLogo1.jpg

Oh, those are cool! Call me "old school", but I like the white helmet. I wonder what the uniform would've looked like? Thanks for posting, imawalkingcorpse! :)

--Larry

hmm the silver looks very similar to these three "helmet redesigns" by some guy i cant remember the site. He pretty much simplified the bucs logo on the PEWTER helmet with like that feel. I like that a lot, and would prefer to see it on the pewter.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

--Larry

Well since these were prototypes with the '97 redesign (their brand now), the uniforms would probably be pretty similar, if not the same

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

This isn't a re-brand that never happened.. this is a TEAM that never happened.

New Orleans Hornets owner George Shinn tried to bring hockey to Virginia in 1997.. a team called the Hampton Roads Rhinos (of Norfolk, VA)

Rhinos.jpg

Wow.

That logo is perfect for a minor league or a roller hockey team.

Would you care to explain why, beyond the allure of being the only game in town? Not only is it another southern town where most of the people there aren't from there, but people also tend not to stay there. It's like Washington, but smaller and poorer.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Back around 1993 the Hartford Whalers were going to change their name to the Connecticut Whalers.

Here are some old articles

http://articles.courant.com/1993-03-12/features/0000104764_1_connecticut-whalers-nutmeg-state-deloitte-touche

and

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/03/28/nyregion/hartford-whalers-goal-to-become-connecticut-s-team-or-else.html

^That last article runs five pages and even talks about how the Whalers were barely drawing 10,000 fans per game.

Now I know why they left.

The Catch of the Day!

AltBucsLog8.jpg

This is a really nice logo. Never liked the version they have now, too small to be seen easily. This is a perfect solution.

Disagree. The skull and swords look like they were just tacked on to the image of the flag.

ClippersUnusedPrimaryLogo1993.gif

Sometime in the early 90s, the LA Clippers were going to use this logo, but luckily it was scrapped.

6873.gif13-3. 1st place in NFC West. 1 fumble away from Super Bowl 46.

1hrqvo4oaipg1j7eboaxh4bgu.gif. 40-26. Lost in Conference Semifinals

zroew6i4sougyzvje4p5vl1xr.gif34-36-12 80 Points. Painfully watching the rivals win the Cup.

2908.gif 28-26. 3 GB of AL East lead. Starting to turn around the season.

ColorWerx has an even better-quality version of that, IIRC.

As a Clippers fan, I actually really like that color scheme, but there's two main flaws: 1) at the time it was going to be used, they would have looked way too similar to the Cavs, and 2) red, white, and blue has become the traditional Clipper color scheme and just looks nice.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived