Re-Brands That Never Happened

ThePreacher

Anyone else tired of seeing the 'prototype' thread come up every single month?

Indeed. It would be fantastic if Chris could come up with some mechanism to take a word of a topic you're thinking about and retrieve all the previously posted topics with that word in it. Is there such an innovation?

VmWIn6B.png

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Vancouvers Grizzlies were originally named the Mounties, then fans were mad, so FedEx paid them $120 million dollars to re-name the team the "Express" before David Stern nixed the idea.

They were never actually called the Mounties, it was just a possibility that was tossed out. Of course, the RCMP own their own identity and would have prevented the name being used anyways.

I've always been curious about that. So the RCMP actually hold copyright to the term "Mounties"? Rather a waste of taxpayers' money on something that trivial. Does that mean if a movie or TV show just happens to mention them, the RCMP have the legal right to block the producers from doing so if they so choose? If so it's not like they stopped Monty Python from dressing up like them in the "Luberjack Song" or stopped Jay Ward from producing Dudley Do-Right cartoons. Very Odd. I thought "mounties" was a colloquialism. How can you hold rights to a slang terminology? This would have been like the NYPD blocking the UFL from naming their team the "Sentinels" as they have been known to go by that term. Or the Catholic Church blocking MLB from calling the San Diego team the "Padres" especially in the content in which they use it.

Wouldn't the RCMP just come off looking bad if they stopped a sports team from honoring them in their moniker? Wouldn't they want people cheering for the Mounties? Again it can't just be about money as many production outside of sports have obviously made a profit while using the name and/or likeness. Better still, what if I had a sports team and my colors were red, navy and yellow, and I just happened to call them the Mounties? Who's to say I mean RCMP? I could mean a cavalry or mountain rams. What makes them so special?

Any argument that you're referring to anything other than the Royal Canadian Mounted Police with the term "Mounties" is specious in the extreme. Especially if you're trying to use it for the name of a sports team in Canada. Your ass would get laughed out of court. And then probably pepper sprayed and tazered.

Indeed. It would be fantastic if Chris could come up with some mechanism to take a word of a topic you're thinking about and retrieve all the previously posted topics with that word in it. Is there such an innovation?

Careful, now you're going to be told to take up prescription medication.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

What about the Tennessee Titans? Didn't they consider the name Copperheads at one point, complete with a copper helmet that has a "shadow" of the old Oilers derrick? Or was that not officially considered?

There was a list of 34 different names they were considering at the time, but I don't recall if Copperheads was among them.

Scroll to the top of this page. I posted the helmet concept, and the previous page has the logo they were considering.

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

This isn't a re-brand that never happened.. this is a TEAM that never happened.

New Orleans Hornets owner George Shinn tried to bring hockey to Virginia in 1997.. a team called the Hampton Roads Rhinos (of Norfolk, VA)

Rhinos.jpg

Wow.

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

TennesseeCopperheads02.jpg

FC Tennessee Copperheads???????

That Copperheads thing was just one of many possible options when the Oilers were going though the renaming process in 1999. It was really being pushed by one guy, probably the one in that picture. He was zealous about it and really tried to get a popular campaign to support the name. He created logos, made jerseys and everything but didn't have a clue about the helmet though. That's why there's that existing Oilers derrick lightened on a copper helmet. That would have been too stupid for words.

I actually liked the name and colors.

You know, say what you will about America. Thirteen bucks still gets you a hell of a load of mice.

I agree, yet somehow I read it every time.

I've only been a member of this site since June... So Pardon me if I didn't realize there were prior incarnations of this post in the roughly 5,000 threads on this website lol.

I'm sure this, much like 90% of the other topics out there, is a recycled theme. I mean, there's only so many logo-related topics we can discuss.

I just hope that some of the stuff posted on here is original. And yes, I do realize there are similar threads like "Concepts Never Used" (the 49ers rebrand comes to mind), but I tried to stay away from that by focusing on franchises that rebranded their ENTIRE identity midway through their existence (I used the Washington Bullets -> Washington Wizards as my prime example.)

And btw, if someone is tired of seeing these threads I have some advice for you - DON'T READ THEM! Haha.

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

TennesseeCopperheads02.jpg

FC Tennessee Copperheads???????

That Copperheads thing was just one of many possible options when the Oilers were going though the renaming process in 1999. It was really being pushed by one guy, probably the one in that picture. He was zealous about it and really tried to get a popular campaign to support the name. He created logos, made jerseys and everything but didn't have a clue about the helmet though. That's why there's that existing Oilers derrick lightened on a copper helmet. That would have been too stupid for words.

I actually liked the name and colors.

I like it too. But Titans is awesome. I just don't think their color scheme works for a name like "Titans", and neither does Tennessee. It works for a city like New York or Chicago. Speaking of which, I think Titans is infinitely cooler than "Jets", but I understand why their ownership changed the name. Once upon a time, Jets and Rockets were cool and cutting-edge.. plus the whole Mets/Jets/Nets connection in Queens.

ps) It wouldn't have been as stupid as, say, a certain NBA team that should have borrowed a different name from a certain New Orleans football franchise, would it? ;)

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

The Vancouvers Grizzlies were originally named the Mounties, then fans were mad, so FedEx paid them $120 million dollars to re-name the team the "Express" before David Stern nixed the idea.

They were never actually called the Mounties, it was just a possibility that was tossed out. Of course, the RCMP own their own identity and would have prevented the name being used anyways.

I've always been curious about that. So the RCMP actually hold copyright to the term "Mounties"? Rather a waste of taxpayers' money on something that trivial. Does that mean if a movie or TV show just happens to mention them, the RCMP have the legal right to block the producers from doing so if they so choose? If so it's not like they stopped Monty Python from dressing up like them in the "Luberjack Song" or stopped Jay Ward from producing Dudley Do-Right cartoons. Very Odd. I thought "mounties" was a colloquialism. How can you hold rights to a slang terminology? This would have been like the NYPD blocking the UFL from naming their team the "Sentinels" as they have been known to go by that term. Or the Catholic Church blocking MLB from calling the San Diego team the "Padres" especially in the content in which they use it.

Wouldn't the RCMP just come off looking bad if they stopped a sports team from honoring them in their moniker? Wouldn't they want people cheering for the Mounties? Again it can't just be about money as many production outside of sports have obviously made a profit while using the name and/or likeness. Better still, what if I had a sports team and my colors were red, navy and yellow, and I just happened to call them the Mounties? Who's to say I mean RCMP? I could mean a cavalry or mountain rams. What makes them so special?

Any argument that you're referring to anything other than the Royal Canadian Mounted Police with the term "Mounties" is specious in the extreme. Especially if you're trying to use it for the name of a sports team in Canada. Your ass would get laughed out of court. And then probably pepper sprayed and tazered.

*SIGH Yes, I am well aware that Mounties mean members of the RCMP. But I ask again, exactly what right do the RCMP hold towards the term "Mounties"? And what would prevent someone from using it to mean something other than that if they wanted to? It's not like I'd be naming a sports team the "Vancouver RCMP" or something thereof. It's a nickname, a term of slang....and not official. Did the RCMP actually go out and apply for a trademark or patent on the name Mounties? Did the federal government take the time and pass a law stating that the term "Mounties" could only be commercially held for RCMP and nothing else? In either case I'd like to see the ruling. As I mentioned before, I really don't think they can block a nickname or logo featuring a caricature depiction of RCMP because movies and television have already done so on countless occasions. And since professional sports can also be argued as both a business and entertainment, ultimately what would be the difference? Can you really hold copyright to a figure of speech- especially if it's something that clearly is a product of society. Because if that's the case I can think of many sports nicknames that would be in danger.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

*SIGH Yes, I am well aware that Mounties mean members of the RCMP. But I ask again, exactly what right do the RCMP hold towards the term "Mounties"? And what would prevent someone from using it to mean something other than that if they wanted to? It's not like I'd be naming a sports team the "Vancouver RCMP" or something thereof. It's a nickname, a term of slang....and not official. Did the RCMP actually go out and apply for a trademark or patent on the name Mounties? Did the federal government take the time and pass a law stating that the term "Mounties" could only be commercially held for RCMP and nothing else? In either case I'd like to see the ruling. As I mentioned before, I really don't think they can block a nickname or logo featuring a caricature depiction of RCMP because movies and television have already done so on countless occasions. And since professional sports can also be argued as both a business and entertainment, ultimately what would be the difference? Can you really hold copyright to a figure of speech- especially if it's something that clearly is a product of society. Because if that's the case I can think of many sports nicknames that would be in danger.

I completely understand your point, and I completely agree with you. I also appreciate some of our Canadian users like Ice_Cap playing Devil's advocate on this argument. My question is this: Does Canada have the same rights ("Freedom of Speech") and laws (copyright, patent office.. expiring after 17 years? Although renewable, etc.) that the United States does? It sounds like you're arguing this with American's rights and laws in mind, and although both the U.S. and Canada's systems of law are based off English Common Law (except for Louisiana, which bases their law system of French Common Law) - I do believe "Canadia's" Constitution and Bill of Rights (if they have one) are different than ours, right?

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

As far as the Mounties name, I don't think the NBA was too high on it either. The RCMP trademarked the name in 1995 in order to make money off it. I would suspect that would include the word Mounties because honestly, when you say Mounties, you think of the RCMP. I think I remember seeing RCMP shirts (maybe I'm wrong) at Zellers/Bay during the Olympics. Before they trademarked the name, everyone and their mother was able to sell anything using the name or their famous red serge and hat, including the evil Mountie of the WWF. They even got Disney to help them license the name. It's like any other company who's out looking to protect their brand.

Didn't they change the theme song of the Mounties tag team to "We're not the Mounties!" too?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

d0dwvhvr17j85aqe8pdf.gif

That sure doesn't look like a Mountie to me!

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

Wow, it's like the Atlanta flames got banged by the Philadelphia Eagles and gave birth to a logo.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I've only been a member of this site since June... So Pardon me if I didn't realize there were prior incarnations of this post in the roughly 5,000 threads on this website lol.

I'm sure this, much like 90% of the other topics out there, is a recycled theme. I mean, there's only so many logo-related topics we can discuss.

I just hope that some of the stuff posted on here is original. And yes, I do realize there are similar threads like "Concepts Never Used" (the 49ers rebrand comes to mind), but I tried to stay away from that by focusing on franchises that rebranded their ENTIRE identity midway through their existence (I used the Washington Bullets -> Washington Wizards as my prime example.)

And btw, if someone is tired of seeing these threads I have some advice for you - DON'T READ THEM! Haha.

If you've only been the member of a community since June, I have some advice for you. Don't be a :censored:.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Wow, it's like the Atlanta flames got banged by the Philadelphia Eagles and gave birth to a logo.

Hahaha, good call!

This is a Canadian College Football team I believe btw. There's also a Canadian hockey team called the Mounties (of Paris, Ontario):

Paris_Mounties_Official_Logo_op_521x600.jpg

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

If you've only been the member of a community since June, I have some advice for you. Don't be a :censored:.

Yea, because creating a topic which, apparently, has been done a couple times in the last several years and is now buried on page 4,117 totally makes me a "censored."

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

Yea, because creating a topic which, apparently, has been done a couple times in the last several years and is now buried on page 4,117 totally makes me a "censored."

No but the fact you seem to come off as a cocky prick in every thread you have posted does.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Archived