Re-Brands That Never Happened

ThePreacher

I've heard about the Tennessee Copperheads proposed name, and seen the helmet concept, but this is the very first time I've seen the jersey concept. I must admit that the whole thing is beginning to grow on me, after the fact. B)

By the way, any ideas on if there was a dark jersey produced, or the appearance of the pants and socks? If not, how about speculation?

--Larry

I remember the website (wish I had gotten a screenshot or swiped the graphics ... )

Dark jersey was green, pretty much parallel to the white jersey. White numbers with the copper outlines, etc. Pants for the white jersey were green, and pants for the green jersey were white.

I remember that the person who put these up proposed something interesting: playoff pants! If the team got to the playoffs, they'd wear copper pants with the regular jerseys. I thought that was funny.

Also, it's not clear on the jersey, but that copperhead slithering over a leaf logo was to be on the jersey itself.

Maybe the website can be recalled through Internet Archive. If you can remember the URL, I would appreciate it very much, as you now have me curious.

"Playoff pants"?? :lol: Now that's an interesting wrinkle on marketing a team, although I'm sure they would've eventually utilized them into the regular season once the novelty wore off, say, by their second or third year of existence. As for the helmet, I can see the faded Oilers' oil derrick in use for just the first season only (stranger things have been seen in the NFL before), but can easily envision the copperhead on leaf as their eventual helmet/primary logo. Even so, I'm sure that some may wonder (like me) what the significance the leaf has with the snake. Personally, it kind of gives the team some affinity with Canada (Canadian maple leaf). Is it an oak leaf?

I would enjoy seeing a full representation of the proposed uniform, just to see what could have been.

--Larry

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard about the Tennessee Copperheads proposed name, and seen the helmet concept, but this is the very first time I've seen the jersey concept. I must admit that the whole thing is beginning to grow on me, after the fact. B)

By the way, any ideas on if there was a dark jersey produced, or the appearance of the pants and socks? If not, how about speculation?

--Larry

I remember the website (wish I had gotten a screenshot or swiped the graphics ... )

Dark jersey was green, pretty much parallel to the white jersey. White numbers with the copper outlines, etc. Pants for the white jersey were green, and pants for the green jersey were white.

I remember that the person who put these up proposed something interesting: playoff pants! If the team got to the playoffs, they'd wear copper pants with the regular jerseys. I thought that was funny.

Also, it's not clear on the jersey, but that copperhead slithering over a leaf logo was to be on the jersey itself.

Maybe the website can be recalled through Internet Archive. If you can remember the URL, I would appreciate it very much, as you now have me curious.

"Playoff pants"?? :lol: Now that's an interesting wrinkle on marketing a team, although I'm sure they would've eventually utilized them into the regular season once the novelty wore off, say, by their second or third year of existence. As for the helmet, I can see the faded Oilers' oil derrick in use for just the first season only (stranger things have been seen in the NFL before), but can easily envision the copperhead on leaf as their eventual helmet/primary logo. Even so, I'm sure that some may wonder (like me) what the significance the leaf has with the snake. Personally, it kind of gives the team some affinity with Canada (Canadian maple leaf). Is it an oak leaf?

I would enjoy seeing a full representation of the proposed uniform, just to see what could have been.

--Larry

The closest I could find to what the website might be was http://www.copperheadsfootball.com but it doesn't seem to be fully accessible on the archive website so I don't know where to go from there

--Larry

I don't see the helmet with the snake on it... Just seems more like an AFL/UFL gimmick than an NFL thing. If anything, I can picture a plain copper helmet with the center striping having a snakeskin theme... If there were indeed a logo of sorts on the helmet, I reckon it'd be something basic and subtle. But then again, the 90's NFL did produce some uniforms and helmets that were about as subtle as a T-Rex...

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

From the handy-dandy links in Gothamite's sig:

A mockup of the proposed changes to the Packers' uniform that Ron Wolf tried to put over in 1993 while I was away down South in the Army:

This mess. And apparently Bob Harlan was on board.

Yeah...that never happened. Fan outrage.

Now on Facebook. And Twitter.

A mockup of the proposed changes to the Packers' uniform that Ron Wolf tried to put over in 1993 while I was away down South in the Army:

Just an FYI... Your image link is broken. Not sure if you're aware or not, but I wanted to give you a head's up!

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

Just an FYI... Your image link is broken. Not sure if you're aware or not, but I wanted to give you a head's up!

Yeah, that site doesn't let you hotlink. Here's the same image on Flickr:

1828842716_626abfd224_o.gif

I still wish that Ron Wolf hadn't got cold feet at the last possible moment. Put a single green stripe on the helmets and pants, and I'd love it.

I still wish that Ron Wolf hadn't got cold feet at the last possible moment. Put a single green stripe on the helmets and pants, and I'd love it.

Likewise. It would have solved the problem the team faces now, with their traditional striping pattern not confirming to the tighter jersey cuts. Plus this would have been instituted before Super Bowl XXXI, so that title win very well could have warmed the Packers faithful up to the new look.

*hopes for an outside possibility that the go with something like this now to distance themselves from the Farve era*

Likewise. It would have solved the problem the team faces now, with their traditional striping pattern not confirming to the tighter jersey cuts. Plus this would have been instituted before Super Bowl XXXI, so that title win very well could have warmed the Packers faithful up to the new look.

*hopes for an outside possibility that the go with something like this now to distance themselves from the Farve era*

Favre is more than doing his part to help the Packers distance themselves from the Favre era.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Don't know if this counts, but here's a Lakers proto back from when they made the switch to Forum Blue & gold (1967, I think):

23647_01_lg.jpg

Those are beautiful! Any relation to that amazing pink giraffe logo that was unveiled around the same time?

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

%2765%20pre-season%20browns.jpg

I have always thought that proposed Cleveland decal was gawd awful.

better than nothing... which is what they have.

I like the blank Browns helmet...but this isn't bad. It's kind of grown on me; a modernized version of this wouldn't look too bad, if done right (mainly, more consistent with the team's uniforms). Maybe they can use it as an alternate helmet (like those numbered helmets a few years ago), provided the NFL is OK with it. It is the same color.

Maybe it could turn their fortunes around, like the Broncos overhaul in which they finally got over the Super Bowl hump, the Buccaneers overhaul that made them a respectable team (and took them to the Super Bowl, where they won), and what the Lions were likely thinking in re-designing their logo. I'm not trying to say that an overhaul is the sole/primary reason a team wins, but it often brings a freshened mindset to the players and fans.

However, if the Browns ever wear something on the side of their helmets full-time, it should be numbers.

Archived