Re-Brands That Never Happened

ThePreacher

Here's one I discovered during NY Giants mini-camp last May at their practice facility. It seems that when the Giants moved to New Jersey around 1976 they had proposed a name change and a change of logo on their helmet. They obviously didn't go through with it but it was made into a pennant:

IMG_6067.jpg

nyg_njlogo.jpg

That is amazing. As a pennant collector I am :shocked: A white whale.

Everyone loves a roundel.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if this makes a difference or not but the Giants and Jets are not the only teams that play in another city/state then what is in their team name.

Dallas Cowboys....Irving Texas

Washington Redskins....Landover Maryland

Tampa Bay Buccaneers....Tampa Florida (There is no city called Tampa Bay)

Tampa Bay Rays....St.Petersburgh Florida

Phoenix Coyotes....Glendale Arizona

Detroit Pistons...Auburn Hills Michigan

Why teams do this in my opinion appeal, it just sounds better

Any others I forgot to list?

The Bills play in Orchard Park, NY.

I don't know if this makes a difference or not but the Giants and Jets are not the only teams that play in another city/state then what is in their team name.

The Dolphins play in Miami Gardens, Florida.

I think they are suburbs of the Greater city area...Like Surry, West Vancouver and Richmond are all part of Greater Vancouver. So technically they are still part of that city even though they play in different areas.

Here's one I discovered during NY Giants mini-camp last May at their practice facility. It seems that when the Giants moved to New Jersey around 1976 they had proposed a name change and a change of logo on their helmet. They obviously didn't go through with it but it was made into a pennant:

IMG_6067.jpg

nyg_njlogo.jpg

Wow. I'm a Skins fan and I want that...I always call them the NJ Giants to annoy their fans. :D

87Redskins.png

• 1 month later...

Need to add these to my Photo bucket.

Thank you for letting us know that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Jets should be the New Jersey Jets. They moved their training camp there and they had a chance to build a stadium in NY but they decide to share a stadium with the Giants.

Um, No. Their training camp is in upstate New York and as mentioned by IceCap, they went in 50-50 with the Giants on New Meadowlands when a proposed stadium in the city was voted down.

I think what goldthorpe is talking about is the Jets' Florham Park facilities in NJ. They moved there from Hemptsted out on Long Island as part of the agreement with the State of New Jersey that basically allowed them to go in on the New Meadowlands Stadium and now where they hold their training camp. The Giants still hold their training camp in Albany, NY.

Can't forget Arsenal Colorado FC

arsenalcoloradofc_logo.jpg

whoa...I realized The Rapids started up some sort of partnership with Arsenal...but I had no idea that they were going to rename themselves.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

I've heard that, when they moved to Salt Lake in 1979, the Jazz held a name-the-team contest (not that it would have mattered--the team apparently didn't have enough money to afford new uniforms). Have there been any articles mentioning the possibilities?

From Mental Floss...

"No, Utah isn?t known for its Jazz. The team originated in New Orleans in 1974 and club officials decided to keep the name after relocating to Salt Lake City in 1979. The Jazz nickname was originally chosen through a name-the-team contest, which produced seven other finalists: Dukes, Crescents, Pilots, Cajuns, Blues, Deltas, and Knights. Deltas would?ve translated to Salt Lake City rather well (the airline of the same name has a hub there), while Cajuns may have been even worse than Jazz."

DustDevil said when they moved to Utah, thats talking about when they started in New Orleans.

I realize this. There was, however, NO "Name-the-Team Contest" held in Salt Lake City when the team was moved there in 1979. Ownership, because of the aforementioned financial situation, could not afford new uniforms and kept the name "Jazz."

Also, The Jazz name was originally selected because of its definition in the dictionary: collective improvisation. Kind of reminds me of the Blazers logo... "collective improvisation."

I wish I had the clip from the DesNews still, but there was a Name the Team contest and the name that won was the Scouts. The only other name I remember being mentioned was the Thunderin' Herd. But, of course they couldn't afford the change and stuck with the Jazz.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

The old Buffalo Braves of the NBA would have been rebranded the Dallas Express for the 1978-79 season had they not moved to San Diego to become the Clippers. Although there's no graphic record in existence (that we know of) of a logo, here are a couple of links that chronicle what could have been:

Buffalo Braves History: Epilogue

BirminghamProSports.com

--Larry

IMG_6067.jpg

nyg_njlogo.jpg

Wow. I'm a Skins fan and I want that...I always call them the NJ Giants to annoy their fans. :D

Couldn't they just call your team the Maryland Redskins???

Apparently, in the early 90's, Howard Baldwin considered changing the Penguins name to the Hornets. This was during the switch over to the pigeon logo.

http://pittsburghhockey.net/PensPages/LogoHistory/LogoHistory.html

Gary Adams, an artist with Vance, Wright & Adams Design Group, came up with the "corporate-style" logo that was used on the shoulder patches until the start of the 2007-08 season.

Adam's said new Penguins' owner Howard Baldwin wanted something more "marketable" and even considered changing the name back to the Hornets."

"Baldwin said: 'They're gonna kill me for changing the logo, why not the name?' " recalled Adams. "We even looked at replacing gold with the Vegas Gold color scheme."

I think they are suburbs of the Greater city area...Like Surry, West Vancouver and Richmond are all part of Greater Vancouver. So technically they are still part of that city even though they play in different areas.

IIRC correctly, the USFL had an official rule regarding team names and locations. Basically, if a team played outside of a city's limits, they weren't allowed to name themselves after that city which is why we had the Michigan Panthers, New Jersey Generals, etc. I rather like that rule, if only because its always annoyed me when people from Brookfield, Whitefish Bay and West Allis claim to be from Milwaukee.

Archived