Re-Brands That Never Happened

ThePreacher

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know if this counts, but here's a Lakers proto back from when they made the switch to Forum Blue & gold (1967, I think):

23647_01_lg.jpg

Those are beautiful! Any relation to that amazing pink giraffe logo that was unveiled around the same time?

No, as far as I know the giraffe dates from the early 60's. Still don't know the origins of that giraffe logo...

Weren't the Astros (originally the Colt .45s) considering changing their name to something train-y when they moved into Enron Field? Or am I going crazy?

Also, I used to have the Mountie's autograph. It got thrown out.

Weren't the Astros (originally the Colt .45s) considering changing their name to something train-y when they moved into Enron Field? Or am I going crazy?

I think they were going to be renamed the South Texas Railmen or something like that. They got cold feet and stayed the Houston Astros, leaving us with a team with a space age name with a old time southwestern identity.

I think they were going to be renamed the South Texas Railmen or something like that. They got cold feet and stayed the Houston Astros, leaving us with a team with a space age name with a old time southwestern identity.

I thought it was the Houston Diesel.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

I thought it was the Houston Diesel.

Either way, it was a terrible thought in the first place. "Astros" has to be one of the most unique names in North American pro sports history. If only McLane had the level of sense to recognize and respect of the Astros name to have never even thought of changing the team's name.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Also, I used to have the Mountie's autograph. It got thrown out.

Paul Lukas actually touches on it and provides two prototype unis in the link provided on the prior page (as part of ESPN2's Uni Watch)

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one I discovered during NY Giants mini-camp last May at their practice facility. It seems that when the Giants moved to New Jersey around 1976 they had proposed a name change and a change of logo on their helmet. They obviously didn't go through with it but it was made into a pennant:

IMG_6067.jpg

nyg_njlogo.jpg

They play in New Jersey, they should be the New Jersey Giants/Jets.

East Rutherford, New Jersey is part of the New York City metro area. The name New York Jets/Giants is just fine.

So, wait, shouldn't they be the New York Devils then, by that logic?

applogosig17.pngapplogosig16bychapeeko.png

Courtesy chapeeko

NJ Giants?? That sounds a bit weird.. but interesting logo.. hmm...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

They play in New Jersey, they should be the New Jersey Giants/Jets.

East Rutherford, New Jersey is part of the New York City metro area. The name New York Jets/Giants is just fine.

So, wait, shouldn't they be the New York Devils then, by that logic?

Last I checked the Devils play in Newark, New Jersey's largest city.

Since they used to play in East Rutherford, however, I'll answer your question. They play in the NHL. There are already two teams representing New York, the Islanders and Rangers. Thus they're catering to a specifically New Jersey fanbase. There is no New Jersey team in the NFL, however. Thus the Giants and Jets represent just not northern New Jersey, but also New York City and Long Island. Thus they can use the New York moniker.

The Jets should be the New Jersey Jets. They moved their training camp there and they had a chance to build a stadium in NY but they decide to share a stadium with the Giants.

They didn't decide to move in with the Giants. The proposal for the new stadium in New York was voted down by the citizens. They had no choice but to move in with the Giants.

The Jets should be the New Jersey Jets. They moved their training camp there and they had a chance to build a stadium in NY but they decide to share a stadium with the Giants.

Um, No. Their training camp is in upstate New York and as mentioned by IceCap, they went in 50-50 with the Giants on New Meadowlands when a proposed stadium in the city was voted down.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this makes a difference or not but the Giants and Jets are not the only teams that play in another city/state then what is in their team name.

Dallas Cowboys....Irving Texas

Washington Redskins....Landover Maryland

Tampa Bay Buccaneers....Tampa Florida (There is no city called Tampa Bay)

Tampa Bay Rays....St.Petersburgh Florida

Phoenix Coyotes....Glendale Arizona

Detroit Pistons...Auburn Hills Michigan

Why teams do this in my opinion appeal, it just sounds better

Any others I forgot to list?

3535rx3.jpg

I don't know if this makes a difference or not but the Giants and Jets are not the only teams that play in another city/state then what is in their team name.

Dallas Cowboys....Irving Texas

Washington Redskins....Landover Maryland

Tampa Bay Buccaneers....Tampa Florida (There is no city called Tampa Bay)

Tampa Bay Rays....St.Petersburgh Florida

Phoenix Coyotes....Glendale Arizona

Detroit Pistons...Auburn Hills Michigan

Why teams do this in my opinion appeal, it just sounds better

Any others I forgot to list?

Actually the Cowboys now play in Arlington. But, Lakers used to play in Inglewood, Rams in Anaheim (while the LA Rams) and Lions played in Pontiac.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

For some reason, the Sacramento Kings had an "alternate logo" that never was widely marketed. I always thought it was cool:

wallpaper-slamson.jpg

...rumor has it the team is waiting for a newaren before a new logo is unveiled.

And I can't believe this debacle hasn't been brought up:

%2791%2049ers%20proto.jpg

timmy.png

For some reason, the Sacramento Kings had an "alternate logo" that never was widely marketed. I always thought it was cool:

wallpaper-slamson.jpg

...rumor has it the team is waiting for a newaren before a new logo is unveiled.

And I can't believe this debacle hasn't been brought up:

%2791%2049ers%20proto.jpg

The Long Beach St like 49ers logo just lasted a week.

And many are worried about any changes that Nike could make with the current NFL uniforms. Nike changing things is like Nike changing Arsenal's,

Archived