Re-Brands That Never Happened

ThePreacher

While reading one of my favorite websites (Mental Floss), I came across this article on the origins of all 30 NBA team names. It mentioned the history behind those horrible New Jersey Swamp Dragons and Fire Dragons concepts that the Nets were considering for the 1994 season.

Here are the only logos I could find...

NJSwampDragons94.gifNJSwampDragons94b.gifNJFireDragons94.gifNJFireDragons94ALT.gif

Some others I know of: The Oakland Raiders were originally to be called the Señors, then the Lakers - before finally settling on Raiders. The Vancouvers Grizzlies were originally named the Mounties, then fans were mad, so FedEx paid them $120 million dollars to re-name the team the "Express" before David Stern nixed the idea.

When the Cleveland Browns fans chose the name "Browns", I know the Coach Brown they were named after objected, and tried to call the team the "Panthers" before being talked back into Browns because the Panthers was copyrighted by another team. And also the Cincinatti Bengals were originally the Buckeyes before switching to Bengals...

So far the only team I can think of off the top of my head that has actually changed it's name after years of an established identity (rather than changing it before they played their first game like the other teams I mentioned) was the Washington Bullets after Pollin?s friend, Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin, was assassinated.

Can you guys think of any others?

And if so, post logos (if any exist)

Have fun!!!

ps) No haters please!

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't that express name thing after the grizz moved (or were moving) to memphis (aka, the home of federal express?)

It'd be interesting to get another look at lists of all the candidate names for recent expansion teams... As often as not, the name teams wind up choosing is inferior to some they'd considered. I know there were better alternatives to "thunder" when the sonics moved to oklahoma.

FedEx wanted the team to be named the Express after they moved to Memphis, since that's where the company is headquartered. Not sure that they cared one way or the other about them when they were in Vancouver... kind of like everyone else.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wasn't that express name thing after the grizz moved (or were moving) to memphis (aka, the home of federal express?)

It'd be interesting to get another look at lists of all the candidate names for recent expansion teams... As often as not, the name teams wind up choosing is inferior to some they'd considered. I know there were better alternatives to "thunder" when the sonics moved to oklahoma.

Ohh, sorry - I didn't realize that happened in Memphis. If you click on the Mental Floss link I embedded in my first post, you can read articles on the origins of all 30 MLB teams, NBA, NFL and NHL teams. Quite interesting. Both in the fact that they've had so many great names passed over (OKC Barons in lieu of Thunder) and horrible names as well (the Oakland Senors, for one!)

Check it out, you'll get a kick out of it =P

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

I'll see if I can find the picture I have with the Charlotte Spirit logo (which may or may not have just been a temporary design) from the 1987 NBA expansion announcement. There's also the Alexander Julian-designed Hornets logo that was replaced with Hugo, but still found its way onto the unis and warmups for a couple of years. Although that's more of a pre-brand that never happened...

FedEx wanted the team to be named the Express after they moved to Memphis, since that's where the company is headquartered. Not sure that they cared one way or the other about them when they were in Vancouver... kind of like everyone else.

I get the sense not too many people care about them in Tennessee. They never should have left Vancouver IMO.

That Barons jersey above is exactly what I had in mind. Awesome, and just crushes what they wound up choosing (name, colours, and uniform.)

What about the Tennessee Titans? Didn't they consider the name Copperheads at one point, complete with a copper helmet that has a "shadow" of the old Oilers derrick? Or was that not officially considered?

I'm fairly certain it was not officially considered; a fan concept that people got behind

A good link here for almost released NFL helmets: http://www.misterhabs.com/nfl-proto.htm

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I had a picture somewhere that has a guy wearing a Copperheads concept jersey where the sleeves had the Tennessee three star emblem that's found on the flag and green stripes. It was a white jersey. I'll keep searching for it

Edit: Found it along with a logo concept??

bill1.jpg

TennesseeCopperheads02.jpg

Found this very funny:

Miami Heat

In October 1986, the owners of Miami?s expansion franchise selected Stephanie Freed?s Heat submission from more than 20,000 entries, which also included Sharks, Tornadoes, Beaches, and Barracudas.

That would have been hilarious.....given the fact that it sounds like another word.

Found this very funny:

Miami Heat

In October 1986, the owners of Miami?s expansion franchise selected Stephanie Freed?s Heat submission from more than 20,000 entries, which also included Sharks, Tornadoes, Beaches, and Barracudas.

That would have been hilarious.....given the fact that it sounds like another word.

Yeah Miami Peaches sounds weird! :D

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

The Vancouvers Grizzlies were originally named the Mounties, then fans were mad, so FedEx paid them $120 million dollars to re-name the team the "Express" before David Stern nixed the idea.

They were never actually called the Mounties, it was just a possibility that was tossed out. Of course, the RCMP own their own identity and would have prevented the name being used anyways.

The Vancouvers Grizzlies were originally named the Mounties, then fans were mad, so FedEx paid them $120 million dollars to re-name the team the "Express" before David Stern nixed the idea.

They were never actually called the Mounties, it was just a possibility that was tossed out. Of course, the RCMP own their own identity and would have prevented the name being used anyways.

There was a logo I remember briefly seeing. All I remember is that there was a mountain included in it. I think I saw it in a YouTube video? I'll have to search for it later. Too lazy right now.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Archived