2010-11 NBA Season

gingerbreadmann

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, Gregg Popovich has named Tim Duncan the West's starting center, replacing the injured Yao Ming. I understand why Popovich did it, Timmy's his boy and all, but you have got to be kidding me, man. This ain't the NBA Lifetime Achievement Award here, this is about right now. Based on performance only, there are probably 4 people I'd rather see start than Timmy. I expect stupid ass selections from fans (voting in a motherfvcker that can barely walk, let alone play ball), but the coaches need to be better than this.

Duncan's the best player on the best team. Who are your four centers ahead of him?

Duncan's not the best player on San Antonio this season. Parker and Ginobili are both clearly having better years.

Timmy's awesome, he's a great player and a classy guy. But, Unwind's right, Duncan really isn't the best player on the Spurs this season (which is a really strange thing to catch yourself saying, but it's true). Personally, no disrespect to him, I wouldn't have put Timmy on the team.

He's not the same player I saw sink an incredible (and heartbreaking, but still incredible) game winner at the Delta Center seven years ago, unfortunately. He's not totally dropped off by any means, but I don't think he's an all-star caliber player this year.

That being said, (given the occurence that the Jazz don't make it of course), I'm rooting for him to get one more ring. He's just one of those guys you WANT to see win.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

So, Gregg Popovich has named Tim Duncan the West's starting center, replacing the injured Yao Ming. I understand why Popovich did it, Timmy's his boy and all, but you have got to be kidding me, man. This ain't the NBA Lifetime Achievement Award here, this is about right now. Based on performance only, there are probably 4 people I'd rather see start than Timmy. I expect stupid ass selections from fans (voting in a motherfvcker that can barely walk, let alone play ball), but the coaches need to be better than this.

Duncan's the best player on the best team. Who are your four centers ahead of him?

First of all, Tim Duncan is not even a damn center. DeJuan Blair is the Spurs starting center. So there. Anyway, I think every other post player in the game deserves the start over Duncan. You can take your pick from Gasol, Love, Griffin or Nowitzki. I would even take LaMarcus Aldridge, who didn't even make the damn team, over Duncan to start this game. Obviously, Duncan is an all-time great, first ballot Hall of Fame level player, but again, this ain't a Lifetime Achievement Award.

As has already been said, Duncan is no longer the best player on his team. Even if he was "The Man" still, when has being the best player on the best team ever meant you're deserving of any individual award or recognition in the professional ranks? I didn't know this turned into Heisman Trophy voting.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

First of all, Tim Duncan is not even a damn center. DeJuan Blair is the Spurs starting center. So there. Anyway, I think every other post player in the game deserves the start over Duncan. You can take your pick from Gasol, Love, Griffin or Nowitzki. I would even take LaMarcus Aldridge, who didn't even make the damn team, over Duncan to start this game. Obviously, Duncan is an all-time great, first ballot Hall of Fame level player, but again, this ain't a Lifetime Achievement Award.

As has already been said, Duncan is no longer the best player on his team. Even if he was "The Man" still, when has being the best player on the best team ever meant you're deserving of any individual award or recognition in the professional ranks? I didn't know this turned into Heisman Trophy voting.

Not only is it Pop coaching the team, the game IS in Los Angeles, where the Oscars are given for Lifetime Achievement. Tim is under 30 MPG this season for the only time in his career, so they are trying to ride him more in the playoffs for one last time.

Fun Photo Galleries for All Star Weekend

What coaches wore in the 70s

Notable Rookie All Stars

Nice find. I've seen a bunch of photos from Larry Brown in that era, that guy was way out there...overalls, man? I would totally wear Lenny Wilkens' second outfit though.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I'm hoping to see Blake Griffin do some ridiculously powerful dunks tonight, but I dunno if that's enough to win the thing.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

That was one of the best dunk contests I've seen in years. Dwight Howard, Nate Rob, & AI9 helped to bring back the Dunk Contest, but these 4 brought it back for real.

When a legit Dunk-From-Beyond-The-Free-Throw-Line was the WORST dunk of the first round, you knew you were in for something special tonight. Wow, hats off to all 4 guys.

That was one of the best dunk contests I've seen in years. Dwight Howard, Nate Rob, & AI9 helped to bring back the Dunk Contest, but these 4 brought it back for real.

When a legit Dunk-From-Beyond-The-Free-Throw-Line was the WORST dunk of the first round, you knew you were in for something special tonight. Wow, hats off to all 4 guys.

I just rolled through the majority of NBA Saturday Night on DVR. I got out of the Dunk Contest when the Cheryl Miller*/little Asian child actor (with perfect hair) vignette was aired. If you are going to do bits, make it less obvious.

*-I love Cheryl Miller, but that episode may have been the most feminine thing she has done in the last two decades.

Ibaka was robbed. That last dunk with the car was really nothing that spectacular. A legit dunk from the free-throw line is however.

I agree. The dunk where he grabbed the stuffed Thunder mascot for the kid was good as well. I kind of feel bad for the kid; the security just seemed to yank him off the court once he served his purpose.

The player I feel bad for worst is JaVale McGee...the double-dunk, the three-ball dunk, and whatever he did in the final round and he still loses? I'll give Blake Griffin credit for jumping over the front end of a car a car, but that dunk wasn't as noteworthy--at least in my opinion--as McGee's behind-the-rim-while-moving-away dunk. I was surprised at how quiet the arena was when McGee made that final-round dunk; was there an "Applause" sign hanging around?

Maybe this year's Dunk Contest is the point where the competition jumps the shark jumps the car...bringing out the choir and the car won it for Griffin, not so much his dunk. Granted, I couldn't jump that high, but when you take away the choir and the car, it just looks like an ordinary dunk. It reminds me of a newer Simpsons episode when (insert guest star) becomes the main selling point for an episode and we don't get what we came to see.

Insert Signature Here?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ibaka was robbed. That last dunk with the car was really nothing that spectacular. A legit dunk from the free-throw line is however.

I agree. The dunk where he grabbed the stuffed Thunder mascot for the kid was good as well. I kind of feel bad for the kid; the security just seemed to yank him off the court once he served his purpose.

Maybe this year's Dunk Contest is the point where the competition jumps the shark jumps the car...bringing out the choir and the car won it for Griffin, not so much his dunk. Granted, I couldn't jump that high, but when you take away the choir and the car, it just looks like an ordinary dunk. It reminds me of a newer Simpsons episode when (insert guest star) becomes the main selling point for an episode and we don't get what we came to see.

I'm pretty sure that "kid" was on America's Got Talent last season i.e. a feaux-celebrity (hence the douchiness he seemed to radiate despite being so young). I could be totally wrong though, but I think that was him.

I agree that Griffin's final dunk in and of itself was kind of underwhelming, but as this competition goes on I think it just becomes more and more about presentation. There are only so many ways to dunk a ball without any sort of props or drama or distractions. I'm fine with it though, I've yet to get sick of it and TBH I prefer watching the Saturday night events more than the All-Star Game itself.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I just rolled through the majority of NBA Saturday Night on DVR. I got out of the Dunk Contest when the Cheryl Miller*/little Asian child actor (with perfect hair) vignette was aired. If you are going to do bits, make it less obvious.

*-I love Cheryl Miller, but that episode may have been the most feminine thing she has done in the last two decades.

That boy's hair gave Charles the line of the night "That may be a cute kid, but that is a bad haircut"

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I kind of have to disagree that the free throw line dunk was tougher. Yes, it was pretty good (though done before) especially since he was completely behind the line, but Griffin having to clear the car while catching the oop is more impressive. All Ibaka had to do was make the distance and finish the dunk. Griffin had to make sure he cleared the car AND catch the ball AND finish. I only saw the highlights on SportsCenter so I didn't see but the better ones, so I can't speak on whether anything else was better, but from what was shown, I believe Griffin won it pretty fair and square.

I wonder how much Kia paid Griffin to have him jump on it's car. ^_^ I did think the free-throw line dunk was a great dunk, but it's been done before. Griffin's car dunk was still a great dunk. He had to jump from inside the circle, jump over the hood, making sure his feet doesn't hit it, catch the ball and dunk it. So it was a combination of distance, vertical and coordination. I think that's why that was great dunk. Hey, what can you expect from the greatest Clipper dunker since Brent Barry?

I saw, I came, I left.

Derozan didn't get any love either, his dunks were pretty nasty as well. but the finals really should have been Ibaka-McGee IMO. I might even say that Griffin's 3 dunks besides the car one, were the three worst of the contest. Just sayin'. McGees 3-ball dunk topped everything

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

I wonder how much Kia paid Griffin to have him jump on it's car. ^_^ I did think the free-throw line dunk was a great dunk, but it's been done before. Griffin's car dunk was still a great dunk. He had to jump from inside the circle, jump over the hood, making sure his feet doesn't hit it, catch the ball and dunk it. So it was a combination of distance, vertical and coordination. I think that's why that was great dunk. Hey, what can you expect from the greatest Clipper dunker since Brent Barry?

Maybe of course Kia was the official car of the NBA All-Star Weekend.

I can see Blake Griffin doing Kia Commercials in the near future. Of course that may cause friction as Yugo is the Official car of the Los Angeles Clippers.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived