2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Billy B

Let's get real now, fellas.... Duke is going to CRUSH Arizona.

'Zona barely got by 12-seed Memphis, then followed it up by taking advantage of a braindead Texas squad in the final moments. They've got ZERO shot against the defending champs.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I'm not picking Arizona to win, but Duke isn't unbeatable. Arizona has a solid team and Duke just scraped by against a Michigan team that isn't really that good.

Michigan isn't a bad team either, they beat a good Tennessee team by 30 and had a pretty good season. I wouldn't put it by Arizona to beat Duke, but I think Duke is just too overpowering to let Arizona beat them.

I feel pretty much the same way about the game. I'd definitely be surprised if Arizona won, but saying they have zero shot against Duke is a bit much.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my Sweet-16 picks:

Duke over Arizona (It'll be close, though. Not a nail-biter, but not a blowout, either)

Connecticut over SDSU

BYU over Florida (Jimmer.)

Butler over Wisconsin

Ohio St. over Kentucky

North Carolina over Marquette (also close, I think)

Kansas over Richmond

Florida St. over VCU (probably the closest of all the games)

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

It's pretty funny how I am possibly the biggest Duke fan on here and I have done zero smack talk.

Kevin w.- Good luck tonight and may the best team win. I think that you guys have a legit shot, and the game will for sure be close. If Duke plays like they did against Michigan, this game will go Zona's way. If Duke does win you will see no bragging from me, I'll gaurantee you that.

It's pretty funny how I am possibly the biggest Duke fan on here and I have done zero smack talk.

Kevin w.- Good luck tonight and may the best team win. I think that you guys have a legit shot, and the game will for sure be close. If Duke plays like they did against Michigan, this game will go Zona's way. If Duke does win you will see no bragging from me, I'll gaurantee you that.

No, you'll brag, as will I if Arizona wins. That's what March Madness is all about. Trust me, if we lose, brag all you want. You'll hear no complaint from me, because no matter what happens tonight, I'll never stop being proud of what this year's team accomplished. We weren't picked to win the Pac-10 and we sure as hell weren't picked to go to the Sweet 16. There's something special going on in Tucson, and I know I will see Coach Miller hang another national championship banner in McKale Center soon.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

No, you'll brag, as will I if Arizona wins. That's what March Madness is all about. Trust me, if we lose, brag all you want. You'll hear no complaint from me, because no matter what happens tonight, I'll never stop being proud of what this year's team accomplished. We weren't picked to win the Pac-10 and we sure as hell weren't picked to go to the Sweet 16. There's something special going on in Tucson, and I know I will see Coach Miller hang another national championship banner in McKale Center soon.

Alright fine I'll brag, just not directly to you. I just don't see the point of me bragging when Duke is the higher seed, is favored, and is expected to play in the Final Four.

(not to mention the Big East was very good in non-conference early in the season).

Didn't Pitt lose to Tennessee of all teams?

Tennessee was as bi-polar as bi-polar could be early on in the season

So?

Here's the Big East's recipe for greatness: Have a couple of your teams play one or two good teams Non-conference, go on the road to some minor colleges that are happy to have a full gate for once, and then go into the Conference season with enough of your teams having reasonably high rankings and RPI stats. Then, proceed to artificially jack up the schedule RPI for everyone by having all 16 teams participate in a rite of incestuous self-immolation playing and beating each other that results in most (if not all) of the league having top 100 RPIs, about half having top 50 RPIs, and of course, everyone having loads and loads of games against top 100 and top 50s. Woohoo tournament resume baby!

Interestingly, this is exactly what the Missouri Valley Conference used to do (minus the "actively seek out road games against minor schools", only everybody got pissed off at them for "breaking/gaming" the RPI and started to downgrade them, because its only cool when major schools do that. :rolleyes:

------------------------------------

Also, could a meteor please hit the arena when Duke and Arizona are playing? Regardless of who wins that game, we all lose.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Pretty hard to choke when Kemba gets NBA-esque superstar calls.

Oh, and the Curse of San Diego strikes again. :(

What calls was Kemba really getting? San Diego State plays a pretty clean game, so I don't think the foul numbers tell the whole story, but San Diego State had a pretty decent advantage in the foul department throughout that second half. Kemba had 10 free throws, I believe 4 were off of technical fouls, 2 were because of a late game situation foul... so I think 4 free throws on 25 shots for a guy who can get to the rim and draw contact as well as Kemba is pretty reasonable, no?

I mean, you can say he flopped on that technical, but all the flop did was draw more attention to what deserved to be a technical. You can't argue the guy didn't lower his shoulder and put a little force into it.

IUe6Hvh.png

The way I see it, I won't be shocked if we lose, but I won't be shocked if we win either. Both teams are more than capable of winning this one.

So you're saying Duke-AZ is a virtual coin-flip?....

Give it a rest. Your starting to sound like Lights Out now. :P

Exactly, what happens when your boy D Williams is left out of the paint and only scores 10 points? Who else is there really to pick up the pace. If Williams is useless so will the Wildcats

He's already got 10 points. We're not even 8 minutes into the game. :P

6fQjS3M.png

Kemba got bumped around on that play. :censored: happens. There was no need for him to fall down like he'd just been shot and start screaming, but he did, and the refs bought it hook, line, and sinker. Also, that call pretty much sucked the life out of the room and took away all of SDSU's momentum, so there's that.

Gators won! Now we won't have to deal with the other nauseatingly-overhyped player in college basketball this year, Jimmer Fredette, whose best-case scenario as a pro will be in a JJ Reddick role. Not exactly lottery pick material there, but some team (probably the Jazz) will waste their lottery pick on him due to the hype.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Jimmer Fredette = Adam Morrison?

Yeah, I'd say that's a fair comparison.

Not at all. Jemmer is 6'2" so if you take race out of it, he is Stephen Curry but "cut" (and probably a better overall athlete). Different positions, different games.

Kemba got bumped around on that play. :censored: happens. There was no need for him to fall down like he'd just been shot and start screaming, but he did, and the refs bought it hook, line, and sinker. Also, that call pretty much sucked the life out of the room and took away all of SDSU's momentum, so there's that.

One call. UConn won the game solely because of one call that was made with 9 minutes left in the game and San Diego State up by four? He made the two free throws and then UConn didn't even score on the following possession. So it barely even passes as a point swing.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived