NFL Weekly Uniform Notes

Bmac

I really wish the 49ers had kept the uniforms they had from the late 90's to 2008. The face mask matched their color scheme, the gold was nice and bright instead bland like it is now, and the red and black went together perfectly.

sp49ers4.jpg

Not what they have now, which is too bland for my taste.

The vast majority of their fans disagree with you. And so do I.

If that's really the case then hey that's cool. My opinion still stands.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I like the Vikings current look, I will concede that it looks a little silly for a 40-year old to be wearing such a design.

I think it looks silly on anyone. This question will probably open a can of worms, but ask yourself this, would you wear a purple shirt with purple shorts and purple socks to the gym? I wouldn't.

I feel like not even I could come up with something so ridiculous to say. I'm sorry, but I got a laugh out of this.

I agree with BBTV here

Please don't do that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

With the exception of forcing the logo into the sleeve stripes, that's the perfect example of how to tastefully update a uniform while blending in elements (well, at least one) from the past.

I disagree. They made the red darker unnecessesarily, and the new shade looked much worse. As I have said countless times, darkening a color is not an "update". They added black and removed all white striping from the helmets and pants, making the look even darker. That is another strike. Helmet stipe didn't match pant stripes, another strike. I wouldn't like black being added to their current color scheme, but it would have worked much better than the last set of uniforms because there would be more distinction between the black and the lighter red. I don't mind the gray facemask on the new uniforms, but I wouldn't have been upset if they kept red. The only things I would take over from the last set would be shiny pants and sleeve stripes which weren't placed in such a ridiculous manner. However, the gold pants never quite matched the helmet. They always looked more yellow when wet, so I would want an improvement on that gold color, too. Right now, the current uniform is shiny pants and normal sleeve stripes away from being perfect.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

With the exception of forcing the logo into the sleeve stripes, that's the perfect example of how to tastefully update a uniform while blending in elements (well, at least one) from the past.

I disagree. They made the red darker unnecessesarily, and the new shade looked much worse. As I have said countless times, darkening a color is not an "update". They added black and removed all white striping from the helmets and pants, making the look even darker. That is another strike. Helmet stipe didn't match pant stripes, another strike. I wouldn't like black being added to their current color scheme, but it would have worked much better than the last set of uniforms because there would be more distinction between the black and the lighter red. I don't mind the gray facemask on the new uniforms, but I wouldn't have been upset if they kept red. The only things I would take over from the last set would be shiny pants and sleeve stripes which weren't placed in such a ridiculous manner. However, the gold pants never quite matched the helmet. They always looked more yellow when wet, so I would want an improvement on that gold color, too. Right now, the current uniform is shiny pants and normal sleeve stripes away from being perfect.

Well what is an update? Adding the black striping gave it an edgier more updated look, instead of the dated white striping look of before, and currently right now. How much distinction was really needed between the darker red and black? It's not like anyone should have had any problems distinguishing between the two colors when they were put together. The style of numbers they had before really stood out, as too compared to now, they're just plain and boring block numbers. The previous set was light years ahead of what they have now.

Well what is an update? Adding the black striping gave it an edgier more updated look, instead of the dated white striping look of before, and currently right now. How much distinction was really needed between the darker red and black? It's not like anyone should have had any problems distinguishing between the two colors when they were put together. The style of numbers they had before really stood out, as too compared to now, they're just plain and boring block numbers. The previous set was light years ahead of what they have now.

Over the last ten years or more lots of sports teams have "updated" by going to darker colors. The Rams "updated" by going from blue and yellow to navy and gold. The Sabres were billed as going back to their original colors, but they "updated" the blue to make it navy. The Jets updated to a darker green when they went back to these uniforms. The Brewers made the same jump the Rams did after a brief stop over with navy and green. Making colors darker is an update in the literal sense of the word, but it isn't an improvement. More often than not, teams are going from unique colors which they owned in their respective sport to darker colors to look like everyone else. The Niners won 5 Super Bowls in bright red and gold. Their look was iconic. There was no reason to make the red darker. I don't think the black striping made the 49ers look edgy. It muddled the look. How is black striping futuristic while white striping is dated? The number didn't stand out more. The black didn't stand out against the red on the home jerseys (especially when wet), and the black outline made the numebers look like crap on the road jerseys.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Over the last ten years or more lots of sports teams have "updated" by going to darker colors. The Rams "updated" by going from blue and yellow to navy and gold. The Sabres were billed as going back to their original colors, but they "updated" the blue to make it navy. The Jets updated to a darker green when they went back to these uniforms. The Brewers made the same jump the Rams did after a brief stop over with navy and green. Making colors darker is an update in the literal sense of the word, but it isn't an improvement.

Those were all improvements to me particularly the Rams.

How is black striping futuristic while white striping is dated?

I never said black striping is "futuristic", I said it gave them a more updated look. I said that because I can only think of a couple other teams "panthers" and the "raiders" that was at that time combining black stripes with metallic colors, and for those teams black is their main color. And I personally think changing back to white stripes made the look kind of timid, and dated.

Fitting that Washington wore deep red last night, 'cause that game was an absolute bloodbath.

...I'm still diggin' the 'Skins yellow pants though. The novelty of them haven't worn off quite yet.

6uXNWAo.png

Fitting that Washington wore deep red last night, 'cause that game was an absolute bloodbath.

...I'm still diggin' the 'Skins yellow pants though. The novelty of them haven't worn off quite yet.

Gold.

Yellow. The color of whiz.

For gold pants, please refer to the New Orleans Saints.

Gold.

Agreed, those yellow pants really do set off the rest of the uniform. I wouldn't mind if the Redskins went to that look full time.

Gold.

These pants are yellow.

donovan-mcnabb-washington-redskins_0.jpg

These are gold.

95010793_display_image.jpg?1283480630

Any questions?

6uXNWAo.png

I thought the Broncos / Chiefs game was a good looking game as well. I think the Broncos should use the orange jersey as their primary home uniform and use the navy jersey as their alt.

09000d5d81c1dc01_gallery_600.jpg

09000d5d81c1df88_gallery_600.jpg

Someone actually agrees with me, which doesn't happen often. I took this from another post on this board,check it out. Maybe a permanent switch coming soon?

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16623871

http://www.bringbackbroncosorange.com/

The steelers, redskins, and chiefs all use yellow. If you want to call it gold, go ahead, but let's be real, it's yellow we're talking about.

This is really only an issue in sports, isn't it? Nobody has ever said that the simpsons are gold. They're yellow, a very similar yellow to that of the redskins yellow pants.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived