Hockey Traditionalists Nightmare - Bettman Must Go

Notch Novelty

That was a pretty lame post... prove to me how SJ is NOT a hockey town, I think everyone else has made some clear points on how it can be seen as one (oh sorry, it's not hockey town, it's Teal Town USA ;) ... how many of those other cities designate themselves after their NHL team?)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm guessing that it's because it doesn't get buried under tons of snow every year, like Buffalo. Does that mean Vancouver shouldn't have a team, either?

I'm surprised Kansas City is far enough north for his scenario. Isn't SJ farther north than KC? And, you'd move San Jose, which has mostly sold out their buildings for ten-plus years, but not the farther-south places like Los Angeles and Anaheim? San Jose's outdrawn Buffalo by leaps and bounds in the last few seasons--maybe it's Buffalo's team that should be moved?

No, I don't really believe that Buffalo should lose their team, as Buffalo's a good hockey city; I'm just trying to illustrate the fallacies you've used in your post.

Seattle's not a hockey town--the T-Birds don't draw particularly well for a junior team--nor does it have a suitable arena.

The idea that hockey should be confined to one geographic area is ludicrous. Isn't it in the interest of the league--nay, the interest of the SPORT--to cultivate hockey in non-traditional markets.

The teams are there, and moreover, many of them have become successful on the ice and in the stands. Deal with it.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

i am hereby convinced that the starter of this thread has earned full troll status

any city that is willing to support a team and fill thier building regardless of climate is a hockey town.

while we are at it, lets name a city that is considered a traditional hockey market- heck an ORIGINAL SIX MARKET that has not supported its NHL team for quite a few years now

CHICAGO

remember, the blackhawks were outdrawn by an AHL team in the same city this season

is anyone rushing to move the hawks to Medicine Hat Alberta though? Nope. I certainly dont think they should be moved either. but to say that a city like san jose doesnt deserve a team is absolutely asinine.

obviously this person has never been to san jose. try visiting the city during hockey season before you immediately write it off as undeserving of an NHL team.

A-HOLE!

I don't care where on the map SJ is but not hockey town. Guys who play hockey like myself will never think of SJ has a hockey town.

Columbus, Denver, Minnesota are 3 great hockey towns added by Bettman.

People in SJ support Roller Hockey and the NHL so they don't know what's going on.

I think HockeyGod's showed up today - Colorado wins!!!!!!!!!!!

I will never think of SJ/TB/Phoenix/Miami/Carolina as hockey town let alone a city that should be hoisting the cup.

Brian, you can write all the essays in the world, show all the facts in the world but it doesn't mean anything.

Here's a deal for a few cities

TB - moves to Winnipeg and gets Magic and (another) Nascar track

Phoenix - Coyotes move to Portland and get decent NFL team

SJ - moves to Seattle and heck give em NBA team

Miami - moves the panthers to Kansas City and gets Arena team

Carolina - moves to Quebec and gets another nascar track

Nashville - moves to Hartford and gets WNBA team

I've seen people shoot themselves in the foot before, but I've never seen someone declare war on it.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

i am hereby convinced that the starter of this thread has earned full troll status

any city that is willing to support a team and fill thier building regardless of climate is a hockey town.

while we are at it, lets name a city that is considered a traditional hockey market- heck an ORIGINAL SIX MARKET that has not supported its NHL team for quite a few years now

CHICAGO

remember, the blackhawks were outdrawn by an AHL team in the same city this season

is anyone rushing to move the hawks to Medicine Hat Alberta though? Nope. I certainly dont think they should be moved either. but to say that a city like san jose doesnt deserve a team is absolutely asinine.

obviously this person has never been to san jose. try visiting the city during hockey season before you immediately write it off as undeserving of an NHL team.

A-HOLE!

ics-ever since we last talked i have done some research on san jose, and im sorry that i ever said it wasnt a hockey town. to be honest, when i was making those anti-sharks comments i had no idea where san jose was. i thout it was by san diego! however, i think we need to focus on the subject at hand. notoriousap stated that southern teams need to disapear, and i agree with him. however sj (according to me, ruler of the known universe :D ) sj is not a southern team. the teams that need to go are nashville, carolina, florida, la, anihiem, phoenix, and washington.

Brian, you can write all the essays in the world, show all the facts in the world but it doesn't mean anything.

What it means is that my position on this issue is, indeed, backed by facts. Thank you for pointing out the strengths in my argument while actually trying to refute it.

By comparison, your latest discourses on the subject of what constitutes a "hockey town" are, in the words of Gene Wilder in the cinematic classic Young Frankenstein, "... the nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind!"

*Note to notoriousap: When abused, over-the-counter pharmaceuticals are no less incapacitating than prescription drugs, and can lead to such questionable behavior as labeling Columbus, Ohio a "hockey town", while simultaneously suggesting that San Jose's rabidly-supported Sharks should be shipped to Washington state . Read labels carefully, never exceed the recommended maximum dosage, and - most importantly - don't attempt to operate heavy machinery after composing a post like this.

:D

No offense intended Andy... but you've got to bring more to the table if you're going to attempt to intelligently debate a point in the CCSLB threads.

Brian in Boston

Thanks a lot Notorious. I appriciate the further insult. WE SUPPORT A TEAM UP THE YIN YANG AND YET WE'RE NOT A HOCKEY TOWN? The reason anyone knows where San Jose is, is because of the NHL and the Sharks.

Oviously, it doesn't seem like Northern California is a hockey town to you. Maybe even on the fantasy side too, if you catch my drift.

I've never seen so much...what's the word I'm looking for...hatred towards one town (outside Boston and New York for baseball reasons) on this board in my life.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Thanks a lot Notorious.  I appriciate the further insult.  WE SUPPORT A TEAM UP THE YIN YANG AND YET WE'RE NOT A HOCKEY TOWN?  The reason anyone knows where San Jose is, is because of the NHL and the Sharks.

Oviously, it doesn't seem like Northern California is a hockey town to you.  Maybe even on the fantasy side too, if you catch my drift.

I've never seen so much...what's the word I'm looking for...hatred towards one town (outside Boston and New York for baseball reasons) on this board in my life.

:notworthy: AMEN!!!

facts don't mean anything anymore?! so we can go and solidly base arguements solely on opinions? awesome! Honours Thesis here I come! :D

One more thing, if it weren't a hockey town, 17,496 people wouldn't have been in teal and have been supportive and waving their pom poms today in support of their PACIFIC DIVISION CHAMPION SAN JOSE SHARKS.

One more thing, if it weren't a hockey town, 17,496 people wouldn't have been in teal and have been supportive and waving their pom poms today in support of their PACIFIC DIVISION CHAMPION SAN JOSE SHARKS.

excellent point

San Jose is like the Green Bay of hockey, I don't give two craps about Green Bay other then their football team and the only reason I have ever heard of Green Bay is because of the Packers. Wisconsiners bleed Green and Yellow, just like San Jose bleeds Teal. I wouldn't know anything about San Jose if it weren't for the Sharks, I know it is in California and the dominant color is teal. Other then that I know nothing but if it weren't for the Sharks, I wouldn't know where the heck San Jose is.

duke-white-sm.gifcavs2-sm.gifyankees2-sm.gifga-sm.gif

duke.gif

brownsSig.gif

I don't care where on the map SJ is but not hockey town. Guys who play hockey like myself will never think of SJ has a hockey town.

Columbus, Denver, Minnesota are 3 great hockey towns added by Bettman.

People in SJ support Roller Hockey and the NHL so they don't know what's going on.

I think HockeyGod's showed up today - Colorado wins!!!!!!!!!!!

I will never think of SJ/TB/Phoenix/Miami/Carolina as hockey town let alone a city that should be hoisting the cup.

Here's a deal for a few cities

TB - moves to Winnipeg and gets Magic and (another) Nascar track

Phoenix - Coyotes move to Portland and get decent NFL team

SJ - moves to Seattle and heck give em NBA team

Miami - moves the panthers to Kansas City and gets Arena team

Carolina - moves to Quebec and gets another nascar track

Nashville - moves to Hartford and gets WNBA team

So ignorant.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

One think I think Notrious is forget is how large of market the bay area is. T have a team doing well near San Francisco is a benefit to the leaguye because of the large poulation there, and unlike the 1960s the Shakrs have been accpeted from day one.

This not Southern California whos fan support goes with whats trendy, these are true fans, who care about the Sharks as their consistent attendence figures show. True there are some cities that dont belong in the league like Phoenix and Raleigh, but San Jose is not one of them.

Maybe they may not have the deep roots like Minnesota, Chicago or Detroit but they have found their won niche.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

the Sharks put San Jose on the map

since not much other then the Sharks is known about San Jose, here we go:

us-ca-sj.gif

Oldest civil settlement in California, founded in 1777

California's first capital (before it became an official state)

Once a thriving agricultural area in the early to mid 20th century

2003 Population: 924,950

3rd Largest City in California and the West Coast

11th Largest City in the United States <-- click this link

Safest Big City in America (500,000+) for three consecutive years

San Jose is only 45 minutes south of San Francisco and 70 minutes northeast of Monterey

177 square miles at the southern tip of San Francisco Bay; situated between the Diablo and Santa Cruz mountain ranges

there, now you know about San Jose, California

which will be, by the end of this calender year, my hometown Im proud to say

Technically as well, the FCC considers the #5 market no longer the San Francisco Bay Area, but the cliched San Jose Metro Area since it is larger in size and population than San Francisco.

Also note, within the last 10 years it has been a city of champions

MLS - Earthquakes 2001, 2003

AFL - SaberCats 2002

WUSA - CyberRays 2001

RHI - Rhinos 1995

NHL - Sharks 2001-02, 2002-03 (Pacific Division Champs)

Ok, so that last one doesn't count. Can't blame me for trying. :P

Archived