Golden Gophers

Grageg

I posted this logo in Davidson's "Animal Tutorial" thread and was happy enough with it that, as a result, I sent it to the Superintendent of my old high school. After some feedback and a few iterations, it's going on to the school board. I thought now would be a good time to get some feedback on tweaks from a larger group of professionals and enthusiasts.

Here is the high school's current logo:

Old.png

Here are the final drafts I submitted:

Gophers.png

GophersR.png

GophersInitials.png

GophersWord.png

GophersBackground.png

BuckeyesRetroFlagSm.pngFindlayRetroFlagSm.pngBrownsRetroFlagSm.png

The teeth just seem a bit large...and I don't like how the logo is elongated and stretched vertically. The neck area just looks kind of odd and out of place. Maybe you could rework it where the whole thing has more of an oval or circular shape to it? It kind of affects how it fits with the wordmark, which now- is kind of slapped on and meshed together in an odd way.

Really good. A few things though. Where it says "RHS" and the "Gopher with the R" logo. I presume your using Inkscape, and it looks like you used "Outlay," so the stroke looks round. A thing you can do to make it straight and non-round is to duplicate that text layer and then put stroke level at 30-40 and toy with it from there.

I like your concept, I'm already sold on it. Start printing letterhead!

And it's a good change, especially since the old one is a rip and replace of Oregon State. They just gave Benny Beaver a facelift.

Old.png

oregon-state.gif

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

the teeth are a little too large.

the head tucked behined the R is a little awkward, as well as the RHS. watch for little negative space triangle it makes between the neck and the R and H.

i would continue the neck down when stacked above the logo script. you can used the diagonal taper when the head is used solo.

I tried a few things on the logo. Took off the insect eyes...they still look a bit "off" though. I tried less black, but it looked even worse...almost cross-eyed. Any ideas?

I shortened up the teeth and the entire gopher in general. I think this will make the logo easier to work with. Any other suggestions?

Gopher.png

dunno if I like the eye change but the new shape finishing the bottom is nice prolly will enable it to work better on some things... I just went through a similar edit with one of my logos that had a longer "neck" shape. this new edit should make it easier to enlarge the logo and keep the details in the head more of a focus.

Mhockeyavatar-1.jpgMRink.jpgMhockeyavatarmaize-1.jpg

Okay...I made some changes and I'm curious if I'm taking steps forward or back...

I shrunk the teeth a bit, got rid of some of the shadowing below the head, made some minimal changes to the eye (went back to the insect eyes, because the other just wasn't working for me) and made some large changes to the mouth area/scowl. Am I getting closer, or do you guys think there are more wholesale changes that need to be taken with my approach?

Any other suggestions?

Gopher-1.png

I like the update. The mouth looks great. The only thing I'd say that could be improved is that his fur coat looks almost too slick. Maybe add one fur jag on his head going backwards to make him look more furry. I really like the 3 hairs you have coming forward on the top of his forehead. It's cute and mean at the same time.

The only thing left to do is now find a good way to have the head rest on or next to a wordmark.

Archived