Rio de Janeiro 2016 Olympics logo

Waffles

From The New York Times:

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) ? The logo for the 2016 Olympics will be unveiled for the first time at Rio's traditional New Year's celebrations.

It will be shown just moments before the fireworks at Copacabana beach are set to go off at midnight on Friday. The logo will be projected on a huge screen on the sand.

Local officials and members of the International Olympic Committee will be at Copacabana to witness the event, along with nearly two million tourists and Rio residents expected for the New Year's Eve party at the famous beach, according to authorities.

Rio won the right in 2009 to host the 2016 Olympics, beating Madrid, Tokyo and Chicago. The Rio Games will be the first in South America.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know of any links to the other finalists? Rio's official site and google aren't helping.

i think it looks great! Olympians dancing (i think?!?) and it incorporates the Pao de Acucar (sugar loaf mountain.

_LANIMA20101231_0032_1.jpg

now if only CBF (the brazilian soccer federation) will have it in their heart to change the "meh" logo to something like this!

A poll on a Lance -- one of Brazil's big sports dailies has the approval at 85%.

now if only CBF (the brazilian soccer federation) will have it in their heart to change the "meh" logo to something like this!

A poll on a Lance -- one of Brazil's big sports dailies has the approval at 85%.

The CBF currently uses national symbolism for their logo, something that will never age or go out of style. Replacing it with some trendy web 2.0 design would be a huge mistake.

I like it. The dancing, intertwined people seem very appropriate to the city.

Also, does anyone else see what I see?

riologo.png

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

My first thought was: "]hat's SO MUCH BETTER than London's!"

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

riologo.png

Yes, I immediately saw it.

This logo is about one million percent better than the London logo, well done!

May God bless you all and fill your hearts with faith, hope, and love!

riologo.png

wow i didnt even notice that! i also think the dancing may represent capoeira. if so, that's very cool.

Also, from the AP

RIO DE JANEIRO -- The logo for the 2016 Olympics in Rio was unveiled Friday before more than 1 million New Year's revelers on Copacabana beach just before midnight.

Carlos Nuzman, president of the Rio Olympic organizing committee, says the logo "conveys passion and transformation."

The flowing symbol resembles three figures -- orange, green and blue -- embraced at the arms and in a flowing dance.

"The logo for Rio's 2016 Games conveys passion and transformation. The passion of all Cariocas and Brazilians for sport and celebration," said Carlos Nuzman, president of the Rio Olympic organizing committee, "Carioca" being a nickname for Rio's citizens. "And the transformation that the Games are already bringing to Rio and to Brazil."

Olympic organizers have said the Rio 2016 brand was created to reflect the city's culture and represent its natural wonders and joyful residents. Organizers said the logo was based on four pillars: contagious energy, harmonious diversity, exuberant nature and Olympic spirit.

Nearly 140 agencies initially participated in the process to design the logo and only eight made it into the final phase. A multidisciplinary team of 15 national and international members of Rio 2016's organizing committee made the final decision a few months ago, selecting a design created by the Rio agency, Tatil.

IOC president Jacques Rogge made his first visit to Rio since the Pan American Games in 2007 and, in addition to seeing the logo unveiled, used the past few days to take a close look at how the city has been preparing for the Games.

A giant TV screen set up on the beach beamed the logo to cheering spectators. Shortly after, a massive flag with the logo was rolled out atop the crowd, who caused the banner to shimmer as the partiers danced underneath it.

"I would like to congratulate Rio's team for the design chosen as the logo for Rio 2016, which is very innovative and creative," Rogge said. "It really reflects the vision of Rio and Brazil for these Games."

Archived