Wisconsin-Nebraska Football - who should change?

TheOldRoman

So (Ohio State) Scarlet = (Wisconsin) Cardinal, but (Ohio State) Scarlet ≠ (Nebraska) Scarlet.

Yep.

Reason #1023758 why color descriptions don't mean diddly.

Or reason #1023758 why color descriptions need to be standardized. There should be a scale, i.e., any color in this range is the 'scarlet' family and any color in that range is in the 'crimson' family. Or, PANTONE® just needs to start laying down the law and flexing their power by assigning their colors official names and adopting that as the standard, so there's only one official 'burgundy' and one official 'maroon.'

I'm sorry, but that's crazy talk. Maybe they could assign ranges of colors, but it would still be pretty difficult. Take PANTONE 465 for example - it's a Beige, it's a Tan, it's a Vegas Gold. Which is it?

And then there's the issue of the sheer number of colors that would have to be fit into these categories of colors. There are 2069 Goe (solid) colors, 1310 PANTONE PLUS solid colors, 300 Premium Metallics, 301 "Classic" Metallics, 155 Pastels, 56 Neons, and 2868 Process colors. Not to mention the 1953 Textiles (cotton and paper), Plastics, and thousands of other colors that aren't even being used anymore. Pantone assigns color descriptions to their Textiles, but it's a fairly subjective science.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Comparison:

IndianaURed_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

MinnesotaUOfMaroon_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

NebraskaUOfRed_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

OhioStateURed_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

WisconsinUOfRed_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

For the record, Ohio State's Scarlet and Wisconsin's Cardinal are exactly the same.

Colleges must drive you crazy. For example, yeah that's the official "maroon" of the University of Minnesota but their maroon helmet (according to their logo sheet) is completely different.

Comparison:

IndianaURed_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

MinnesotaUOfMaroon_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

NebraskaUOfRed_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

OhioStateURed_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

WisconsinUOfRed_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

For the record, Ohio State's Scarlet and Wisconsin's Cardinal are exactly the same.

Colleges must drive you crazy. For example, yeah that's the official "maroon" of the University of Minnesota but their maroon helmet (according to their logo sheet) is completely different.

Moreover, when Jim Wacker went to Minnesota (he of the huge M unis) to coach football, he converted the "maroon" to a more red color and changed the yellowgold to metallic gold. (And, as far as I know, only for football.) Then when Wacker went away, the colors changed back.

Packers-2.png

Neither school should change a [bleep]ing thing. Haven't read a viable reason for either school to do so.

Other than them having the EXACT same uniforms down to striping patterns and colors?

The 1978 and 1987 Orange Bowls (Arkansas vs. Oklahoma) had no issues.

Neither school should change a [bleep]ing thing. Haven't read a viable reason for either school to do so.

Other than them having the EXACT same uniforms down to striping patterns and colors?

It's not a matter of telling the two apart on the field. Let's get that through our heads.

It's a matter of having a distinct identity within your conference.

Arkansas' cardinal is a little lighter than Oklahoma's crimson, isn't it?

Orange783.jpg

Packers-2.png

They do make me crazy. I find that around 75% or so of the schools have slightly different colors designated as "institutional" as opposed to the athletics colors.

The last U. of Minnesota logosheet I have states that the official Maroon is 202 C...you have different?

(I'm not as worried about divulging college/university Pantone values, since I find the majority of these things online.)

I posted this in the Concepts forum, originally:

============================================

While I know that most Nebraska fans HATE the all-red look, I think that for a new rivalry with Wisconsin, this could work. Both teams could agree to wear Red-Outs and White-Outs for that game specifically. The winner of last year's game get the right to be RED. For the very first matchup, they could just flip a coin to determine who got the "reds."

I think it would be just as good if not better than any Big Ten Trophy (ie, Paul Bunyan's Axe, etc). Not only is it a "trophy," but it's something tangible that players get to participate in during the game. Welcome to the new Big Ten, Badgers and Huskers; you've got to EARN your RED in this conference.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

While I know that most Nebraska fans HATE the all-red look, I think that for a new rivalry with Wisconsin, this could work. Both teams could agree to wear Red-Outs and White-Outs for that game specifically. The winner of last year's game get the right to be RED. For the very first matchup, they could just flip a coin to determine who got the "reds."

I think it would be just as good if not better than any Big Ten Trophy (ie, Paul Bunyan's Axe, etc). Not only is it a "trophy," but it's something tangible that players get to participate in during the game. Welcome to the new Big Ten, Badgers and Huskers; you've got to EARN your RED in this conference.

So rather than run from it, you'd like to overtly embrace it. I kinda like that idea. I don't think either team will change and if that's the case, this would just put it out there..."yeah we have similar uniforms, so what."

The other thing it would potentially do (if Wisconsin can keep up with Nebraska) is have the home team wearing white more often than not. Since home teams tend to win, the next game would likely feature the road team in red. That does not make it bad...just noteworthy.

One problem, though, is that they are not in the same division. So there could be a few years between games sometimes, which would sort of water it all down.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

So rather than run from it, you'd like to overtly embrace it. I kinda like that idea. I don't think either team will change and if that's the case, this would just put it out there..."yeah we have similar uniforms, so what."

The other thing it would potentially do (if Wisconsin can keep up with Nebraska) is have the home team wearing white more often than not. Since home teams tend to win, the next game would likely feature the road team in red. That does not make it bad...just noteworthy.

One problem, though, is that they are not in the same division. So there could be a few years between games sometimes, which would sort of water it all down.

I totally agree that the separate divisions could stifle this tradition, but I think more likely is that it would add fuel to the fire. Imagine that Wisconsin pulls off a close last-minute win against Nebraska in Madison. Then a two year gap. When Wisconsin shows up in Lincoln down the road, imagine how badly the Husker team and fans will want that win. It's almost like the World Cup or Olympics, where a defeat means you have to live with it for a couple years until you get another shot.

The thing about it, though, is that the similarities go beyond just the uniforms. Both schools have die-hard fan bases and hail from agricultural states that have relatively smaller populations. Both play a physical, dominating style of football. Both claim Heisman winners and a long list of All-Americans and NFL Draftees. And while Nebraska perhaps has *slightly* more clout (5 National Titles), both schools have a very similar track record in recent years.

I doubt this idea would fly --especially with the fanbases-- but it would be a cool way for two parallel schools to embrace their similarities and create a really unique type of game.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I totally agree that the separate divisions could stifle this tradition, but I think more likely is that it would add fuel to the fire. Imagine that Wisconsin pulls off a close last-minute win against Nebraska in Madison. Then a two year gap. When Wisconsin shows up in Lincoln down the road, imagine how badly the Husker team and fans will want that win. It's almost like the World Cup or Olympics, where a defeat means you have to live with it for a couple years until you get another shot.

The thing about it, though, is that the similarities go beyond just the uniforms. Both schools have die-hard fan bases and hail from agricultural states that have relatively smaller populations. Both play a physical, dominating style of football. Both claim Heisman winners and a long list of All-Americans and NFL Draftees. And while Nebraska perhaps has *slightly* more clout (5 National Titles), both schools have a very similar track record in recent years.

I doubt this idea would fly --especially with the fanbases-- but it would be a cool way for two parallel schools to embrace their similarities and create a really unique type of game.

slightly??????????? wisconsin has only been relevant since alvarez got there...before that they were nothing.

I'm no nebraska fan but to put them on the same level is just foolish...the "tradition rich" and "storied" wisconsin football program needs to suck it up and find their own uniform identity.

slightly??????????? wisconsin has only been relevant since alvarez got there...before that they were nothing.

I'm no nebraska fan but to put them on the same level is just foolish...the "tradition rich" and "storied" wisconsin football program needs to suck it up and find their own uniform identity.

Yeah... I was trying to be nice and respectful. I didn't want to come off as a Husker Homer. ;)

UyDgMWP.jpg

Archived