Wisconsin-Nebraska Football - who should change?

TheOldRoman

It has been discussed here before, but Wisconsin's and Nebraska's football uniforms look almost identical. White helmets with red facemask, same shade of red jersey with two white stripes, white pants with two red stripes. Other than the logos, the only differences between the teams are that Nebraska has a single helmet stripe, always wears red pants on the road, and just this season moved the TV numbers to the shoulders.

I was reminded of this watching the Rose Bowl, when Wiscy wore their little seen red pants (presumably for the last time). Having two nearly identical looking teams is no big deal if they rarely if ever play eachother, but they really need to distinguish themselves if they are going to be in the same conference. Both of these are established football schools (Neb much moreso) and aren't going to drastically change their looks or pull out silly modern jerseys which wouldn't fit them. So, are any changes rumored for either of the teams? What changes do you guys think should be made?

First off, I would eliminate the red pants from Wisconsin's closet. I think Wisconsin should switch their shade of red to that of their helmet decals (which are noticably darker than the jerseys/pants/facemasks). As much as I am against adding black to established looks for the hell of it, I think Wiscy could add a thin black outline (or even a small drop shadow) to the numbers to mimic the logo. I think Nebraska could go from a double stripe to a single stripe on the sleeves and pants. It is not a whole lot, but it would distinguish the schools a little bit more.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me personally, I never have any trouble telling the two apart. Nebraska has a patch on their left chest full-time and a tiny plain "N" on thier helmet as well as one single stripe, while Wisconsin doesn't have a patch and has a gigantic "W" on thier helmets with two stripes. For me, that's enough to tell them apart, even if they were to play each other.

But, if anything has to change, I say all that needs to happen is two things: one, darken Wisconsin's red to the same shade used on the "W" decal, then remove the stripes on the sleeves for Wisconsin and instead put them in the shoulder, Colts-style. Boom. Nothing crazy or excessively drastic, but enough.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Although I am fine with them being almost identical even when playing eachother, I dont understand why everyone is saying Wisconsin should change, even though Nebraska has more history they are the ones who moved into the BIG10 therefore it is Nebraskas responsibilty to distinguish themselves from existing BIG10 schools.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

It has been discussed here before, but Wisconsin's and Nebraska's football uniforms look almost identical. White helmets with red facemask, same shade of red jersey with two white stripes, white pants with two red stripes. Other than the logos, the only differences between the teams are that Nebraska has a single helmet stripe, always wears red pants on the road, and just this season moved the TV numbers to the shoulders.

I was reminded of this watching the Rose Bowl, when Wiscy wore their little seen red pants (presumably for the last time). Having two nearly identical looking teams is no big deal if they rarely if ever play eachother, but they really need to distinguish themselves if they are going to be in the same conference. Both of these are established football schools (Neb much moreso) and aren't going to drastically change their looks or pull out silly modern jerseys which wouldn't fit them. So, are any changes rumored for either of the teams? What changes do you guys think should be made?

First off, I would eliminate the red pants from Wisconsin's closet. I think Wisconsin should switch their shade of red to that of their helmet decals (which are noticably darker than the jerseys/pants/facemasks). As much as I am against adding black to established looks for the hell of it, I think Wiscy could add a thin black outline (or even a small drop shadow) to the numbers to mimic the logo. I think Nebraska could go from a double stripe to a single stripe on the sleeves and pants. It is not a whole lot, but it would distinguish the schools a little bit more.

I definitely wouldn't complain if this were to happen. However, I would love to see them rock these full-time:

wiscon2005d.jpg

Not only are they actually wearing cardinal and not the scarlet they switched to thanks to Barry Alverez's daddy issues with the Huskers, but it's a perfect look for a team from a school that calls itself a Midwest Ivy with a straight face :P

According to madison.com, Wisconsin does have a change in store for next season:

Bielema said the Badgers tried on new uniforms for next season on Sunday, similar to the ones worn by the New York Giants.

"It's this new technology and form-fitting," Bielema said. "(Toon) was in one. He looked as pretty as they look."

Whether that means just a change in the uniform's fit or a full-fledged overhaul remains to be seen.

Although I am fine with them being almost identical even when playing eachother, I dont understand why everyone is saying Wisconsin should change, even though Nebraska has more history they are the ones who moved into the BIG10 therefore it is Nebraskas responsibilty to distinguish themselves from existing BIG10 schools.

Probably because Wisconsin intentionally changed its unis into the Nebraska clone look when Nebraska alum Barry Alvarez took over the football team.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

OP nailed it in the final paragraph of his first post. Wisconsin changes their red jersey, facemask (and pants. Can't lie, I enjoyed them. :P) to the color of their helmet decal. As long as they don't resort to a monochrome look, problem solved.

Here's an idea. Why don't Wisconsin go to white sleeves on the red jerseys, red sleeves on the white, and a giant motion "W" on both shoulders? (numbers on the sleeves)

It'd be even better if the numbers had black drop-shadows, and if there was a "Big Ten 100th Anniversary" patch on the chest.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Switch to Aachen Bold numbers with thin black drop-shadows, go back to the pre-Alvarez cardinal, keep the striping intact, no red pants. That oughta do it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I definitely wouldn't complain if this were to happen. However, I would love to see them rock these full-time:

wiscon2005d.jpg

Not only are they actually wearing cardinal and not the scarlet they switched to thanks to Barry Alverez's daddy issues with the Huskers, but it's a perfect look for a team from a school that calls itself a Midwest Ivy with a straight face :P

Those are awesome.

Probably because Wisconsin intentionally changed its unis into the Nebraska clone look when Nebraska alum Barry Alvarez took over the football team.

Oh okay I wasn't aware of that i guess that is why you have 11,000+ posts and i have 37 thank you for clarifying :grin:

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

According to madison.com, Wisconsin does have a change in store for next season:

Bielema said the Badgers tried on new uniforms for next season on Sunday, similar to the ones worn by the New York Giants.

"It's this new technology and form-fitting," Bielema said. "(Toon) was in one. He looked as pretty as they look."

Whether that means just a change in the uniform's fit or a full-fledged overhaul remains to be seen.

They're just changing to the adidas Techfit jersey. They didn't change the design at Tennessee, UCLA, Notre Dame or others when they switched to it midway thru this season, I would imagine Wisconsin won't change either.

Here's an idea. Why don't Wisconsin go to white sleeves on the red jerseys, red sleeves on the white, and a giant motion "W" on both shoulders? (numbers on the sleeves)

The #1 reason is because it would look absolutely hideous.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The #1 reason is because it would look absolutely hideous.

Guess you didn't get the joke here. It was done. Once. In 1995:

1196092602_6855c46e83_o.png

COLWIS95.jpg

1186379212_5ceb07c9d0.jpg

^^^Guess you didn't get his own joke, either :P

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Archived