Early Football Monochrome

OldRamsFan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had thought that monochrome in football was fairly recent, but today in the Aggie football vault, I found a photo of the 1984 Texas Aggies in maroon monochrome.

What other early monochrome examples can you folks think of?

I've seen footage from the '80s of Purdue in black jerseys and black pants. And of course, the Vikings went monochrome purple for 3/4 of a game in the early '60s.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Monochrome is a style that has been around football for a long time. Texas A&M had a monochromatic look back in the 1930s. This photo is from 1937:

WalemanCottonPriceAM1937XXX-vi.jpg

Rice had a single color home uniform for a generation or more:

Maegleandxx-vi.jpg

Duke in the 1950s:

11955BOBPASCALDUKE-vi.jpg

Wisconsin in the 1950s:

UminnvWisS-vi.jpg

Tulane, 1960s:

TulanevStanford1962-vi.jpg

FsQiF2W.png

Oklahoma State, 1944:

1944BOBFENIMOREOKLAHOMAAM-vi.jpg

Colorado, 1949:

1949Univ_OfColoradoRBDonEv-vi.jpg

Nebraska, 1955:

1955REXFISCHERNEBRASKAu-vi.jpg

LSU wore all-gold/yellow unis from time-to-time in the 1950s and 60s, I believe Ohio State had all reds for a time in the 1950s, Mizzou has worn all gold in the 1950s ...

FsQiF2W.png

I'm seeing a whole lot of new pro combat inspiration up in here...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Syracuse went monochrome orange for a stretch in the '50s, right?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I may be off here, but I think Oregon State went monochrome black in the early 60's, with an orange helmet.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Maybe I'm being anal, but some of those black and white pics look like the pants and top are a different shade. I've heard at length how hard it was to match colors up back then...but I've also seen representations of, say, MTSU (well, State Teachers' College back then) wearing navy tops and khaki/gold pants. I could see that looking similar to some of the above pics in black and white. Some of them I can tell more than others that both top and pants are a color...but is this really something you can tell in old b/w photos? Am I just being too detail-oriented?

Also...yeah. Tulane needs those helmets to return. A lot. <3

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

I had thought that monochrome in football was fairly recent, but today in the Aggie football vault, I found a photo of the 1984 Texas Aggies in maroon monochrome.

What other early monochrome examples can you folks think of?

I've seen footage from the '80s of Purdue in black jerseys and black pants. And of course, the Vikings went monochrome purple for 3/4 of a game in the early '60s.

5835870.jpeg

5822094.jpeg

In those days, they wore all-black at home and all-white on the road (with gold helmets, of course).

Packers-2.png

It is funny to see color pictures of Wisconsin in all red, because a few years ago on an ESPN/ABC game, the Badgers wore all red and the tv people went on and on about how this was the FIRST TIME EVER, that they had wore all red.

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

Archived