2011-2012 NCAA Football Uniform Thread

Lights Out

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The all-black Rutgers uniform looks great. If we saw this 3 years ago we would be happy with it.

I'm on both sides of the fence with this one. While all of these black out uniforms look good in isolation, the fact is every team seems to be finding excuses to throw black on from head to toe.

Why don't we just switch back to black and white TV while we are at it? It's getting old.

Black isn't neutral and they aren't using it as a neutral color. They are wearing black instead of their school color, red; which isn't the same at all as wearing it as a neutral base color (like white).

Black, grey and white are the neutral colors. Look it up. All in all, I don't care what a team wears as long as it looks good.

When is comes the branding and identity of a school or team, black and gray/silver are NOT neutral colors.*

The whole point of "school colors" is for tradition and to promote the school. That's why most school fight songs mention their team colors in them. That's why a lot of money is spent to promote the schools using their specific colors.

When you start adding any color you want to the scheme, the message of "this is XX school" gets ruined. Michigan is blue and maize (gold). Add black, and it's not "Michigan" anymore, it's black, blue and gold. Same for Oregon, Miami, and others.

That's why most people here are against "black for black's sake". Adding extraneous colors is a big slap in the face to the history of the school/institution, and the image that's been preserved for generations is basically worthless.

*Exception: Baseball. The gray used for uniforms is just dark enough to differentiate it from solid white. A light gray baseball uniform is pretty much the only neutral color uniform due to the historical nature of it.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I'm 100% for unique looks such as throwing in a black or gray uni if it looks good.]

Having a black uniform stopped being unique about 6 years ago.

ANY color that isn't in their normal school colors is unique.

And pointless. There's no point to having school colors if they're going to throw just anything into the mix because they can.

Black is a school color, but should be just limited to trim. Scarlet Knights.

You've made your point over and over again. Black is good for everyone. Anything military related is awesome. Yada Yada Yada.

No, it isn't. Scarlet is Rutgers' only school color.

http://www.rutgers.edu/about-rutgers/rutgers-history

http://www.scarletknights.com/tradition/tradition.asp

Surely this has been posted here and I just missed it:

5716123110_d799b674bf_o.png

Not going to lie, that actually looks pretty cool. They should've used this a long time ago instead of the horrible Red helmet black jersey combo.

Agree that it looks much better than the way they tried before, but IMO it is still pretty stupid considering their mascot.

I'm pretty sure you meant "nickname" by that--but either way, your point still stands, and I agree with it.

Rutgers, Texas Tech...y'all are the Scarlet Knights and the Red Raiders. One-off or not, what's up with all the emphasis on black? (Especially true for TT.)

Personally, as long as they can pull it off, I don't mind a team going for all black/white. They are neutral "colors" ( or more or less all of the colors combined/the absence of color). I think this looks nice. Some schools can pull it off. others can't (aka, Tenn, Mizzou w/ gunmetal black helmets, and Utah, Washington, FSU all white concept, Florida, KU, Texas).

Black isn't neutral and they aren't using it as a neutral color. They are wearing black instead of their school color, red; which isn't the same at all as wearing it as a neutral base color (like white).

Black, grey and white are the neutral colors. Look it up. All in all, I don't care what a team wears as long as it looks good.

For the sake of argument, even if black is neutral, Rutgers isn't using it as a neutral color. They are using it in ssubstitution for their actual school color, which also happens to be a large part of their mascot.

If these were change uniforms, road uniforms or uniforms worn when the other team is wearing red, you'd have a point, but that isn't what these are for.

I still don't get Nike's new obsession with matte helmets.

its more to do with their clients. Nike provides their clients what they want, or at least the client has to sign off on it.

i dont see why people think a school like Rutgers MUST use red as their primary color just because they're the Scarlet Knights. theres red in the uniform, thats enough. theres no need to be SO literal all the time. i dig the all black look well enough, but we're seeing schools just copy each other now. will they at least go with red pants?

Because they aren't jsut Knights and Texas Tech isn't just the Raiders.

will they at least go with red pants?

I was wondering that too. Anyone have a full pic? I think black pants (with stripes, not all-black) would be ok with red ( with black/white stripes) socks.

I doubt any pants they wear would have stripes if their normal pants don't.

I'm 100% for unique looks such as throwing in a black or gray uni if it looks good.]

And pointless. There's no point to having school colors if they're going to throw just anything into the mix because they can.

You've made your point over and over again. Black is good for everyone. Anything military related is awesome. Yada Yada Yada.

I'm honestly surprised. As long as I've seen Rutgers sports on TV, they've always had black as a trim color. Even the identity redesign a few years ago had black, red, and two shades of silver.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I'm honestly surprised. As long as I've seen Rutgers sports on TV, they've always had black as a trim color. Even the identity redesign a few years ago had black, red, and two shades of silver.

I think there's a decent amount of schools that only have one school color but use another color (usually black) as trim. I know that Northwestern's only school color is purple, but they've used black for so long that it's become part of their identity. Apparently Rutgers is the same.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I was wondering that too. Anyone have a full pic? I think black pants (with stripes, not all-black) would be ok with red ( with black/white stripes) socks.

I know, just wishful thinking. To me, solid jersey pants look like leotards.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

its more to do with their clients. Nike provides their clients what they want, or at least the client has to sign off on it.

i dont see why people think a school like Rutgers MUST use red as their primary color just because they're the Scarlet Knights. theres red in the uniform, thats enough. theres no need to be SO literal all the time. i dig the all black look well enough, but we're seeing schools just copy each other now. will they at least go with red pants?

Well then Duke must just be the Devils since they wear black and well, someone already brought up the Cleveland Browns so with them wearing orange helmets and having orange pants and jerseys in the past what do you call them?

I know, just wishful thinking. To me, solid jersey pants look like leotards.

I agree when they are paired with socks that are the same color.

Well then Duke must just be the Devils since they wear black and well, someone already brought up the Cleveland Browns so with them wearing orange helmets and having orange pants and jerseys in the past what do you call them?

I don't like what Duke does any better than what Rutgers is doing. Duke looked MUCH better without black in their color scheme.

Cleveland was named after a person named Brown, not the color.

duke-basketball-shirt-with-shana-carter.jpg > north-carolina-duke-basketball-021109-285x300.jpg

I don't like what Duke does any better than what Rutgers is doing. Duke looked MUCH better without black in their color scheme.

duke-basketball-shirt-with-shana-carter.jpg > north-carolina-duke-basketball-021109-285x300.jpg

I'm 50/50 with Duke's look...isn't great, but not awful either. I think over time it has grown on me. I was being extremely sarcastic about the Browns, btw.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

I'm 50/50 with Duke's look...isn't great, but not awful either. I think over time it has grown on me. I was being extremely sarcastic about the Browns, btw.

It isn't that Duke looks "bad", but I don't think they look any better and I think it is goofy to wear black at the expense of an actual school color that is also part of the nickname/

Also, I knew you were joking about the Browns. I was responding to someone who clearly didn't.

When is comes the branding and identity of a school or team, black and gray/silver are NOT neutral colors.*

The whole point of "school colors" is for tradition and to promote the school. That's why most school fight songs mention their team colors in them. That's why a lot of money is spent to promote the schools using their specific colors.

When you start adding any color you want to the scheme, the message of "this is XX school" gets ruined. Michigan is blue and maize (gold). Add black, and it's not "Michigan" anymore, it's black, blue and gold. Same for Oregon, Miami, and others.

That's why most people here are against "black for black's sake". Adding extraneous colors is a big slap in the face to the history of the school/institution, and the image that's been preserved for generations is basically worthless.

*Exception: Baseball. The gray used for uniforms is just dark enough to differentiate it from solid white. A light gray baseball uniform is pretty much the only neutral color uniform due to the historical nature of it.

I'm not against tradition, I just don't understand it. I wouldn't be against Michigan wearing black because it is not traditional. I would be against it because it would probably look horrible. So what if you wore something for over 100 years, that doesn't mean it should;t be changed. For instance, Texas shouldn't go black. Why? Because their look is perfect right now. Orange helmets would be the only possible thing they could do, and even then that would be pushing it. tOSU, however, has horrible uniforms. They have way too many stripes going on, and if someone looked at them that knew nothing about college sports, he would not know who they were. They are generic. Same with Penn State. Michigan has a creative helmet stripe that looks fierce, and fully represents a wolverine. If they put a huge wolverine on it though, or their M logo, I would have no objection, because that wouldn't look atrocious. Having the same look every year is only good if you got right got it right the first time (I'm looking at you Fresno State).

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I'm not against tradition, I just don't understand it. I wouldn't be against Michigan wearing black because it is not traditional. I would be against it because it would probably look horrible. So what if you wore something for over 100 years, that doesn't mean it should;t be changed. For instance, Texas shouldn't go black. Why? Because their look is perfect right now. Orange helmets would be the only possible thing they could do, and even then that would be pushing it. tOSU, however, has horrible uniforms. They have way too many stripes going on, and if someone looked at them that knew nothing about college sports, he would not know who they were. They are generic. Same with Penn State. Michigan has a creative helmet stripe that looks fierce, and fully represents a wolverine. If they put a huge wolverine on it though, or their M logo, I would have no objection, because that wouldn't look atrocious. Having the same look every year is only good if you got right got it right the first time (I'm looking at you Fresno State).

and people who know nothing about college sports likely wouldn't recognize Michigan either. Ohio State's uniforms have zero flaws in terms of design. I think you contradict yourself, rather aimlessly here.

You need to stop and walk away. Now.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived