2011-2012 NCAA Football Uniform Thread

Lights Out

Black isn't neutral and they aren't using it as a neutral color. They are wearing black instead of their school color, red; which isn't the same at all as wearing it as a neutral base color (like white).

Black, grey and white are the neutral colors. Look it up. All in all, I don't care what a team wears as long as it looks good.

When is comes the branding and identity of a school or team, black and gray/silver are NOT neutral colors.*

The whole point of "school colors" is for tradition and to promote the school. That's why most school fight songs mention their team colors in them. That's why a lot of money is spent to promote the schools using their specific colors.

When you start adding any color you want to the scheme, the message of "this is XX school" gets ruined. Michigan is blue and maize (gold). Add black, and it's not "Michigan" anymore, it's black, blue and gold. Same for Oregon, Miami, and others.

That's why most people here are against "black for black's sake". Adding extraneous colors is a big slap in the face to the history of the school/institution, and the image that's been preserved for generations is basically worthless.

*Exception: Baseball. The gray used for uniforms is just dark enough to differentiate it from solid white. A light gray baseball uniform is pretty much the only neutral color uniform due to the historical nature of it.

I'm not against tradition, I just don't understand it. I wouldn't be against Michigan wearing black because it is not traditional. I would be against it because it would probably look horrible. So what if you wore something for over 100 years, that doesn't mean it should;t be changed. For instance, Texas shouldn't go black. Why? Because their look is perfect right now. Orange helmets would be the only possible thing they could do, and even then that would be pushing it. tOSU, however, has horrible uniforms. They have way too many stripes going on, and if someone looked at them that knew nothing about college sports, he would not know who they were. They are generic. Same with Penn State. Michigan has a creative helmet stripe that looks fierce, and fully represents a wolverine. If they put a huge wolverine on it though, or their M logo, I would have no objection, because that wouldn't look atrocious. Having the same look every year is only good if you got right got it right the first time (I'm looking at you Fresno State).

and people who know nothing about college sports likely wouldn't recognize Michigan either. Ohio State's uniforms have zero flaws in terms of design. I think you contradict yourself, rather aimlessly here.

I stand corrected. I though Michigan's uniforms had Michigan on them somewhere. They do have an M on their pants though.

While OSU's uniforms may have little flaws, it has no perks either That was the point I was trying to make. Their uniforms are generic.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stand corrected. I though Michigan's uniforms had Michigan on them somewhere. They do have an M on their pants though.

While OSU's uniforms may have little flaws, it has no perks either That was the point I was trying to make. Their uniforms are generic.

No, they're not.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

No, they're not.

Because...

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Even people who aren't college football fans would recognize Ohio State's uniforms. You're just a delusional Oregon fan, so in your mind, stuff that isn't flashy automatically = bad. You definitely don't know what you're talking about so I suggest you leave the debating to the adults.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Even people who aren't college football fans would recognize Ohio State's uniforms. You're just a delusional Oregon fan, so in your mind, stuff that isn't flashy automatically = bad. You definitely don't know what you're talking about so I suggest you leave the debating to the adults.

Would you call Texas flashy? Michigan? You're really sounding like a flaming traditionalist. Please don't become Ice_Cap

Would you call Texas flashy? Michigan? You're really sounding like a flaming traditionalist. Please don't become Ice_Cap

You. Shut it.

You. Shut it.

Oh God what have I done.

tOSU, however, has horrible uniforms. They have way too many stripes going on, and if someone looked at them that knew nothing about college sports, he would not know who they were. They are generic. Same with Penn State. Michigan has a creative helmet stripe that looks fierce, and fully represents a wolverine. If they put a huge wolverine on it though, or their M logo, I would have no objection, because that wouldn't look atrocious. Having the same look every year is only good if you got right got it right the first time (I'm looking at you Fresno State).

They have the same stripe pattern on the sleeves, helmet and pants. Not really seeing how that's too much. As for Michigan's helmet, I really think they look stupid, but if they switched to a logo on the side of the helmet I'd think it looked even stupider because it wouldn't look like Michigan. That's also how I feel about Ohio State if they put the block O on their sleeves or helmet. The look they have now, IS Ohio State and IS Michigan and Penn State. Though PSU looks even more plain, I still know it's Penn State when I look at them and that's the most important thing to remember. I do agree that Fresno could do with an update though

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I stand corrected. I though Michigan's uniforms had Michigan on them somewhere. They do have an M on their pants though.While OSU's uniforms may have little flaws, it has no perks either That was the point I was trying to make. Their uniforms are generic.

The away jerseys have the block M on the back collar and I believe the home shirts have them now too

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Their uniforms are generic.

No, they're not.

Because...

Ohio State's sleeve stripes are specific to them. I know of no other team that has that same stripe pattern, do you? Generic means plain and unoriginal but in uniform terms means a template that a lot of others are using, like the Bronco cut and Missouri uniform

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

wait, you're an adult? :blink:

This is a freaking forum. He can make any argument he wants, kid or old geezer.

I think he's wrong, but I'm not going to tell him to leave an internet forum b/c I disagree with him. If that were the case a lot of people would be banned from talking on here.

S.M.H.

You're just a delusional Oregon fan, so in your mind, stuff that isn't flashy automatically = bad.

That's ironic, because anything Oregon automatically = bad to you.

Wrong. I actually like the design of the winged uniforms. I just abhor the non-school color uniforms. If they got rid of the black and silver and used them only as trim colors (the black wings on the yellow jerseys and the silver wings on the green jerseys look fine) there would be nothing wrong with Oregon's uniforms.

No, they're not.

Because...

Ohio State's sleeve stripes are specific to them. I know of no other team that has that same stripe pattern, do you? Generic means plain and unoriginal but in uniform terms means a template that a lot of others are using, like the Bronco cut and Missouri uniform

Exactly. tOSU's stripes are unique to only them and when you seen them on TV, you instantly know its the Buckeyes playing. There are a lot of teams that keep it simple and still are able to keep that unique look. A good example of "generic" would be Iowa. There uni's are basically an exact ripoff (identical sleeeve stripes too) of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

No, they're not.

Because...

Yes.

Texas, Florida, The Pittsburg Steelers, BYU, Iowa, SMU to name a few. Texas actually copys it verbatim. There is almost nothing unique about the Ohio State uniform.

On another note, isn't it a tad bit sad that you have to point out the sleeve stripes in order to find something unique about a uniform?

from TCU's AD today: "We've engaged Nike to do an overall branding of our product. We expect to have it unveiled in time for the 2012 season."

I'm concerned that Arizona has something like that planned since our AD toured the Nike facilities last year. If we start wearing black uniforms, I'm going to puke.

from TCU's AD today: "We've engaged Nike to do an overall branding of our product. We expect to have it unveiled in time for the 2012 season."

I'm concerned that Arizona has something like that planned since our AD toured the Nike facilities last year. If we start wearing black uniforms, I'm going to puke.

With the white helmets, I think they could pull off black. That doesn't mean they should however.

With the white helmets, I think they could pull off black. That doesn't mean they should however.

Absolutely not. Arizona should NEVER wear anything other than cardinal and navy. The road grays worn by baseball and softball are the lone exception.

Archived