Domestic Soccer 2011

Don

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fox Soccer Channel out of MLS for the next 3 years as NBC and the new NBC Sports Network will broadcast 6 and 43 games respectively.

Big move for the MLS. Getting to NBC and the NBC Sports Network gives them greater coverage than they already had.

The bigger thing is that all TV contracts expire at the same time, following the 2014 season. Both the TV contracts and the CBA are set to expire following the 2014 season.

That's great and all. However, the underlying questions here are what is the total monetary value of the television contract with NBC? Is this contract similar to the one that NBC and NHL agreed upon?

No official word, but everything I've read stipulates around 10 to 12 million a year for the NBC deal.

I presume that the total amount will be divvied up by the 18 (soon 19) clubs?

But would the 2 (soon 3) Canadian clubs get a fair share from American TV revenues? Do the American clubs make money from the TSN contract?

The MLS operates as a single entity, so in theory, the revenues are split equally. MLS pays player salaries, not the individual teams.

On paper, MLS owns every teams and receives all the revenue which is created and the local "ownership group" is just in control of day-today operations and gets a seat on the Board of Governors in return along with a small management fee which consists of:

• 50% of home game ticket sales, concessions, parking
  • the first $1+M in local TV revenue
  • 100% of all overseas tour revenues
  • an equal share from 50% of revenue from the Championship Game

We're getting worked again. I know this is a hodgepodge of players but still being dominated by Mexico is not fun.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Much much better 2nd half. Brek Shea is going to be a star for the USMNT. He's having a great season for Dallas and he has all the physical tools to be a great international player.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Meanwhile, the man given his walking papers by US Soccer may soon indeed by walking...

...wait for it...

...like an Egyptian.

I'd take him in Canada any day.

No offense to Stephan Hart, who I don't particularly dislike, it's just Bradly has the world cup experience that Canada desperately needs if we are going to be able to cap the up and coming Canadians and not end up with another Teal Bunbury situation.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Fox Soccer Channel out of MLS for the next 3 years as NBC and the new NBC Sports Network will broadcast 6 and 43 games respectively.

Big move for the MLS. Getting to NBC and the NBC Sports Network gives them greater coverage than they already had.

They are going to get some games on the main network, that's pretty big! (I bet it'll be a Galaxy v Sounders game in Seattle)

Great news for MLS!

4 of those are USMNT games, of which two will be on NBC.

2 regular season matches will be on NBC, as will 2 playoff matches (presumably the West Conference Championship and the MLS Cup).

The other 2 USMNT games and 41 MLS matches will be on the NBCSN, which is actually becoming a fairly mainstream channel on many cable systems.

Linkage.

MLS Cup is part of the ESPN deal. Basically the two playoff game will probably be a second leg match of round 2, and one of the conference final.

This sets up all of MLS's tv contracts ending at once in 2014 right before World Cup rights goes to bid. Whoever wins those will have a big edge when it comes to the FIFA rights. Make no mistake NBC would love to take the World Cup away from ESPN and secure the two biggest sporting events in the world (Olympics and World Cup) for themselves.

Juan Pablo Angel will be moving to the other side of the HDC to Chivas USA for a bag of Chex Mix. Kinda saw that move coming, they had to make room for Robbie Keane, Angel never really fit in with the Galaxy, & Chivas USA had to save face for passing on Adu.

Archived