Domestic Soccer 2011

Don

I'm just not taking that bait.

If you think that's bait, then your goals are not high enough. The United States fans should not be satisfied until they can win World Cups effortlessly. Anything lower is a disastrous failure. I mean, wouldn't American fans want to avoid having a team that's the laughingstock of the world?

Are you insinuating that the US is the laughingstock of the world?

I could be reading you wrong, but if you think that's the case, I'd really have to disagree.

If the United States, with their population, is not the best in the world in soccer, than that makes them the world's laughingstock. I mean, they've never won the World Cup, nor even placed in the top 3.

Incorrect. The US got 3rd in 1930.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just not taking that bait.

If you think that's bait, then your goals are not high enough. The United States fans should not be satisfied until they can win World Cups effortlessly. Anything lower is a disastrous failure. I mean, wouldn't American fans want to avoid having a team that's the laughingstock of the world?

Are you insinuating that the US is the laughingstock of the world?

I could be reading you wrong, but if you think that's the case, I'd really have to disagree.

If the United States, with their population, is not the best in the world in soccer, than that makes them the world's laughingstock. I mean, they've never won the World Cup, nor even placed in the top 3.

Hmm.

That's one way to look at it.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Okay, when the top three teams in the playoffs are going to be in the same bracket in MLS, there might be a problem. Why not a better setup, like this?

West: Chivas USA, Los Angeles Galaxy, Portland Timbers, San Jose Earthquakes, Seattle Sounders FC, Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Central: Chicago Fire, Colorado Rapids, FC Dallas, Houston Dynamo, Real Salt Lake, Sporting Kansas City

East: Columbus Crew, D.C. United, New England Revolution, New York Red Bulls, Philadelphia Union, Toronto FC

Top two teams in each division, plus the next best four teams, make the playoffs. Top two in each division are seeded 1-6 by record, with the caveat that a division champ may be given no lower than a 4 seed. 7-10, of course, are seeded by record. So this year, right now (two games to go) that looks like:

1) Los Angeles Galaxy (1W)

2) Seattle Sounders FC (2W)

3) Real Salt Lake (1C)

4) Columbus Crew (1E)

5) FC Dallas (2C)

6) New York Red Bulls (2E)

7) Sporting Kansas City (3C)

8) Colorado Rapids (4C)

9) Houston Dynamo (2E)

10) Portland Timbers (3W)

7-10 play a single game playoff at the 7 and 8 seeds. Better survivor plays the 2, worse survivor plays the 1.

From here on, quarterfinals and semifinals would be two-legged, with the higher seeded team being given the choice to open at home or on the road. Allow for away goals to exist, but not during extra time (similar to how CONCACAF Champions League does it). The semifinals would reseed, with highest seed left playing lowest seed left. MLS Cup, of course, would still be at a predetermined site; I'd propose it be the reward to the Supporter's Shield winners that they get to host it.

LvZYtbZ.png

Okay, when the top three teams in the playoffs are going to be in the same bracket in MLS, there might be a problem. Why not a better setup, like this?

West: Chivas USA, Los Angeles Galaxy, Portland Timbers, San Jose Earthquakes, Seattle Sounders FC, Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Central: Chicago Fire, Colorado Rapids, FC Dallas, Houston Dynamo, Real Salt Lake, Sporting Kansas City

East: Columbus Crew, D.C. United, New England Revolution, New York Red Bulls, Philadelphia Union, Toronto FC

Top two teams in each division, plus the next best four teams, make the playoffs. Top two in each division are seeded 1-6 by record, with the caveat that a division champ may be given no lower than a 4 seed. 7-10, of course, are seeded by record. So this year, right now (two games to go) that looks like:

1) Los Angeles Galaxy (1W)

2) Seattle Sounders FC (2W)

3) Real Salt Lake (1C)

4) Columbus Crew (1E)

5) FC Dallas (2C)

6) New York Red Bulls (2E)

7) Sporting Kansas City (3C)

8) Colorado Rapids (4C)

9) Houston Dynamo (2E)

10) Portland Timbers (3W)

7-10 play a single game playoff at the 7 and 8 seeds. Better survivor plays the 2, worse survivor plays the 1.

From here on, quarterfinals and semifinals would be two-legged, with the higher seeded team being given the choice to open at home or on the road. Allow for away goals to exist, but not during extra time (similar to how CONCACAF Champions League does it). The semifinals would reseed, with highest seed left playing lowest seed left. MLS Cup, of course, would still be at a predetermined site; I'd propose it be the reward to the Supporter's Shield winners that they get to host it.

I agree with you, the top 3 seeds should not be in the same bracket. Bugs me too.

This is why I say they should not even bother seeding based on conference, if they really want conferences for scheduling when they have unbalanced schedules, that's fine. Even if it's just as simple as to make the game "easier to relate to for north american fans" I'm ok with that too.

But just seed regardless of conference.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Seattle Sounders FC have sold over 60,000 tickets for Saturdays Match vs. San Jose. It's SSFC GK, Captain, and Northwest Native Kasey Keller's last regular season game of his career.

Should be a really special game. Go Sounders!

:o

Of course, getting to say that you were able to be an eyewitness for an American soccer legend's final regular season game is pretty awesome, but Seattle continues to impress. They may just sell out the entire stadium for that one.

Seattle Sounders FC have sold over 60,000 tickets for Saturdays Match vs. San Jose. It's SSFC GK, Captain, and Northwest Native Kasey Keller's last regular season game of his career.

Should be a really special game. Go Sounders!

:o

Of course, getting to say that you were able to be an eyewitness for an American soccer legend's final regular season game is pretty awesome, but Seattle continues to impress. They may just sell out the entire stadium for that one.

It's possible. I just bought tickets for the game, so make it 60,002.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Until the Lynx won the WNBA title earlier this month, Minnesota hadn't won a pro sports championship in almost exactly 20 years. Now after defeating Carolina on penalties in a great semifinal series, the NSC Minnesota Stars have advanced to the NASL championship round, and could make it two titles in as many weeks. When it rains it pours, I suppose.

CCSLC signature.png

Twelve years, Viper; you forgot about the Thunder (RIP) winning the A-League title in 1999.

Watching that game took years off of my life; it was completely insane. I've bought my tickets to fly to Ft. Lauderdale for the second leg of the final in two weeks.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

DC United doesnt deserve the playoffs. I hope the Timbers make it ahead of New York.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Last night's Sounders game was pretty awesome. The final attendance was a bit more than 64,000 and the game itself was incredible. San Jose got a goal at 22 minutes, Kasey Keller played the next 60 minutes by himself before the offense scored two in the last ten minutes.

Here's the recap video from the Sounders, but you have to watch Keller's awesome save at :50, where he stops four goals in 10 seconds.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

NASL Championship Series, first leg final: Minnesota 3, Ft. Lauderdale 1

Second leg's in FtL next Saturday night, and I'll be there... hopefully drinking out of the cup by the end of the night.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Second leg's in FtL next Saturday night, and I'll be there... hopefully drinking out of the cup by the end of the night.

Good luck!

We're waiting to see who we draw in the Champions League. Hoping for Monterrey and a weeklong vacation at South Padre Island.

1zqy8ok.gif

Good luck!

We're waiting to see who we draw in the Champions League. Hoping for Monterrey and a weeklong vacation at South Padre Island.

Given the March dates, do you think the TFC leg will be played at BMO Field or Rogers Centre?

I saw, I came, I left.

Good luck!

Given the March dates, do you think the TFC leg will be played at BMO Field or Rogers Centre?

99% sure it'll be at Rogers Centre. The infrastructure at BMO wasn't built for cold weather (pipes arent insulated). The home opener this year caused some damage to the stadium cause of the cold, and it cost them quite a bit to repair.

1zqy8ok.gif

Would it be so hard to swap Columbus and Dallas in the brackets?

Considering the the Columbus Blue Jackets play in the Western Conference and the Dallas Cowboys play in the NFC East... that bracket isn't too far fetched :P

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived