2011 NASCAR Sprint Cup Season

NEW.ERA

On a side note: If Bayne gets sponsorship for the full Cup schedule in the next week or so, I wonder if NASCAR will let him switch his series eligibility to Sprint Cup for this season?

According To NASCAR he can switch, but he will start from 0 points and the win wont count towards the cha$e... :mad:

That makes no sense at all.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a side note: If Bayne gets sponsorship for the full Cup schedule in the next week or so, I wonder if NASCAR will let him switch his series eligibility to Sprint Cup for this season?

According To NASCAR he can switch, but he will start from 0 points and the win wont count towards the cha$e... :mad:

That makes no sense at all.

It makes perfect sense if you know the rules. Drivers had to declare which series they're going to run for points before the beginning of the season. Bayne declared for the Nationwide Series. If he decides to switch to the Cup Series he'll do it after the first race so any points he accumulated before the switch don't count. Simple. Granted, the rule was aimed more towards Cup drivers who want to run Nationwide but it applies in both directions.

That said, let's not get too carried away with Trevor Bayne just yet. He clearly has talent and what he did today was incredible but it was just one race folks. Let's see how he does at Phoenix next week. It's just my opinion but I think that In the long run It's probably best if he sticks to a limited Cup schedule and runs full time in the Nationwide Series.

BB52Big.jpg

Exactly. Bayne still has years and years to grow, lets not hope he doesn't turn out like a Pete Hamilton or Derrike Cope. I still think him fielding a full time Nationwide Ride at this moment right now serves better for him down the road.

But I'm still not taking the fact he drove a hell of a race and won the Daytona 500 on his first try.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I was impressed by Bayne all week, and if you watched him last year in the Nationwide Series, you knew the kid could drive. Michael Waltrip made a mistake letting this kid go by not having enough sponsorship for the kid. The fact of the matter was that it did not surprise me he won, it's a restrictor plate track. Heck Brad Kesolowski won at Talladega, and he's proven pretty much to be nothing. Restrictor plate tracks allow lessers to become even with the best. So let's not over-value this win as far as where this kid is in development. The worst thing that could be done is to run him a full Cup season. You let this kid grow and mature for the next year to two years in the Nationwide Series and allow him to know what it takes to run for a championship over 35 races. Dropping a 20 year old into the full Cup season at 500 mile races would kill this kid's career. You've seen how hard it's been for "Sliced Bread" and even for Brad Kesolowski. Heck you see how it is to run 36 races for 500 miles for guys who are 10-12 year veterans. Heck look at the stupidity of Jeff Burton at Texas last year under caution and he's one of the most respected drivers in the garage. Bayne won't run a full season as the Wood Brothers are intelligent and know that it's better to run 17 races with the kid and then do it again next year and then maybe a few years down the line run the full season, if he hasn't replaced Carl Edwards in the 99 or gone over to Petty Motorsports as a 4th driver.

I am thoroughly impressed with Trevor, both his talent on the track and his demeanor off it. The kid is a bright star for NASCAR, just what they need. As far as the race itself, it was a great race. I had my doubts with the two car drafting style, especially after I was at the Budweiser Shootout last Saturday, but it proved to be naturally exciting, much better than the artificial excitement NASCAR has tried to create lately. Both of my parents even watched the race, and neither one of them had watched a full race since Dale Earnhardt died ten years ago.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

I honestly predicted this after the 2nd Duel when he pushed Gordon and got caught up in a wreck, then right before the GWC, me and my family took bets on who would win, I picked Bayne, My parents picked Mark Martin, My Grandpa picked Jr. and My Grandma picked Tony Stewart.

Signature.png

TrophyCase-1.png

I honestly predicted this after the 2nd Duel when he pushed Gordon and got caught up in a wreck, then right before the GWC, me and my family took bets on who would win, I picked Bayne, My parents picked Mark Martin, My Grandpa picked Jr. and My Grandma picked Tony Stewart.

Sure you did. :P

BB52Big.jpg

Sure you did. :P

im_super_serial__2.png

Signature.png

TrophyCase-1.png

So all three race winners from Daytona aren't the points leaders in their respective circuits....that makes a helluvah lot of sense.

It makes perfect sense to me. None of the winners planned to run the full season in that series, so what's the benefit of them leading the points? Heck, Bayne is the only one of the three who has solid plans to run again in the series in which they won at all.

I'm a huge fan of heritage in logos and looks. Doesn't have to be an exact copy but paying homage is pretty cool. So when I saw Trevor Bayne in the Daytona 500, I thought...hey, that car looks familiar to me. Not the biggest NASCAR fan but I watched a race or two back in the day when they really were "stock" cars.

Honestly, I haven't followed it closely enough to know whether this year's paint is the current norm for the Wood Bros. 21, but my first thought was that the car was wearing NASCAR's equivalent of throwbacks. :D

David Pearson, 1970s

800px-DavidPearson21Mercury.jpg

Trevor Bayne, 2011

trevor-bayne-car.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Honestly, I haven't followed it closely enough to know whether this year's paint is the current norm for the Wood Bros. 21, but my first thought was that the car was wearing NASCAR's equivalent of throwbacks. :D

When the paint scheme was announced, it made it seem like it would run all year. Then a few days later, someone from the team said something (I can't find the article) that made it sound like it would only be a special scheme run at Daytona. If it is just a one-off, then they'll most likely go back to the scheme they ran last season with Bill Elliott (and Bayne for one race).

21motorcraft.jpg

However, I saw a report on Twitter that USA Today had contacted the Wood Brothers about sponsorship, so we may see a blue 21 at some point.

Just wondering...my interest in NASCAR faded over the years pretty much in lockstep with the move away from real production vehicles. Frankly, I just don't see the point of identical cars with model-specific front and back decals racing, even if they have different engines. It just got worse with the CoT. Does that make me a purist? :D

What is the prevailing feeling here on that issue?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Those old cars were so awesome that is when NASCAR was at its best.

And the racing was completely pathetic. Anyone who says the racing in the past was better and Nascar as a whole was better, has never watched an older race recently and if you want to talk about the new car and how bad it was, well then you obviously missed or forgot about the "15 minute rule". What was that? When one car make won a race, give it 15 minutes before all the other car makes would be in the hauler complaining and getting their wanted changes. It was completely pathetic to see rule change after rule change in a matter of weeks. Nascar back in the day was who could whine the loudest about their car to get a change. It's so nice not to hear whining about this car and that car, and it's so nice to see great racing week in and week out.

Just wondering...my interest in NASCAR faded over the years pretty much in lockstep with the move away from real production vehicles. Frankly, I just don't see the point of identical cars with model-specific front and back decals racing, even if they have different engines. It just got worse with the CoT. Does that make me a purist? :D

What is the prevailing feeling here on that issue?

Other than the frame and body templates, the cars aren't "identical." Most of the "sameness" you see in the vehicles today is in the interest of safety. The Nationwide cars have taken some pretty significant steps to try to look more like their "street" counterparts.

cot.540.jpg

all-four-new-nationwide-series-cars-tested-at-talladega.jpg

scaled.mustang_6_car_t603.jpg?a0e555933bdeac764a3a6371c148c3ecb7a6ae19

Granted, they still look like current NASCAR vehicles but at least they're making the effort. Hopefully the Cup Series will follow suit.

Those old cars were so awesome that is when NASCAR was at its best.

Your memory is failing you Francis. From a competitive standpoint, NASCAR was hardly "at it's best" back then. Back in the day of David Pearson and the Purolator 21 it was not uncommon for the race winner to be ahead of the entire field by a couple laps or to see a race finish with just a few cars still on the lead lap. I've been a NASCAR fan since I was a kid. I grew up on the sport. The truth is that the racing has never been more competitive or exciting than it is now. (look it up and see for yourself) But feel free to keep believing that NASCAR of the 70's and 80's was "better" than it is today. It wasn't but there's probably no convincing you of that.

BB52Big.jpg

I've never been to the desert in February but how common is rain in the Phoenix area around this time? I find this would be the one of the more cooler times (Just like the NOV. race), having this race in May-September would be downright cruel.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

So all three race winners from Daytona aren't the points leaders in their respective circuits....that makes a helluvah lot of sense.

It makes perfect sense to me. None of the winners planned to run the full season in that series, so what's the benefit of them leading the points? Heck, Bayne is the only one of the three who has solid plans to run again in the series in which they won at all.

Because they won the god-damned race?

With this simplified points system, it seems to me that it's easier to miss a race or two and still contend for the lower seeds of the Chase. Nascar is doing a disservice to it's drivers competing if they aren't getting credit for what they've accomplished.

It makes no sense that the Daytona 500 winner....the Super Bowl of the Sprint Cup series...will finish the year with 0 points. It'd be like saying Appalachian State wouldn't get to count it's win over Michigan in the win-loss column just because they play in different football leagues.

Archived