2011 NASCAR Sprint Cup Season

NEW.ERA

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has Dale Jr. ever been a factor in the Chase?

Most years he never even challenges for the Chase. That to me spells FAILURE in capital letters.

He's been in the Chase a few times, just hasn't captured the title yet...like many drivers unless your name happens to be Jimmie Johnson, Kurt Busch, or Tony Stewart.

Look, there is no denying that Jr hasn't been anywhere near great the past 4 maybe 5 years (with a REALLY bad past 2 years), but he isn't a failure and he isn't a pathetic driver. Competition has heavily increased and he just isn't the flagship driver for his team right now- hell, he has enough competition within that. NASCAR can provide some really long slumps...look at Tony Stewart, he was unstoppable a few years back but just hasn't had it much lately...not getting 4 or 5 wins a year. Look at Jeff Gordon, he hasn't won a race in at least 50 races (maybe more) and is considered one of the best of all-time.

Jr. isn't in the same league as Gordon, Johnson, Stewart, etc but he's hardly the abysmal failure Tank thinks he is. For the record, Jr. has about as many wins as Kenseth, Biffle, etc. and people consider those two to be among the top drivers in the sport.

BB52Big.jpg

Has Dale Jr. ever been a factor in the Chase?

Most years he never even challenges for the Chase. That to me spells FAILURE in capital letters.

He's been in the Chase a few times, just hasn't captured the title yet...like many drivers unless your name happens to be Jimmie Johnson, Kurt Busch, or Tony Stewart.

Look, there is no denying that Jr hasn't been anywhere near great the past 4 maybe 5 years (with a REALLY bad past 2 years), but he isn't a failure and he isn't a pathetic driver. Competition has heavily increased and he just isn't the flagship driver for his team right now- hell, he has enough competition within that. NASCAR can provide some really long slumps...look at Tony Stewart, he was unstoppable a few years back but just hasn't had it much lately...not getting 4 or 5 wins a year. Look at Jeff Gordon, he hasn't won a race in at least 50 races (maybe more) and is considered one of the best of all-time.

Tank let us all know where he stands on all such issues via one athlete: Felix Hernandez

Junior has also had his share of bad luck at many races where he is running up front but either gets caught up in a wreck or something blows up.

I don't know where this hate is coming from. He doesn't get nearly enough attention as people are making it out to be. It just happens to be the 10th Anniversary of his fathers death, Next week at Phoenix he'll be forgotten.... unless of course he gets a win tomorrow.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Junior has also had his share of bad luck at many races where he is running up front but either gets caught up in a wreck or something blows up.

I don't know where this hate is coming from. He doesn't get nearly enough attention as people are making it out to be. It just happens to be the 10th Anniversary of his fathers death, Next week at Phoenix he'll be forgotten.... unless of course he gets a win tomorrow.

This hate comes from everytime he takes the lead the broadcasters have to talk about Jr Nation standing up. It comes from the endless statement, "As Jr goes, so goes Nascar." It comes from the statements from the media, "What's best for Nascar is their most popular driver getting on track." Basically, the hate comes from the media shoving Jr down people's throats. Does he get the attention people make it out to be? Absolutely. When he fails he gets attention, meanwhile drivers who are usually in the top 10 year in and year out such as Clint Bowyer, Jeff Burton, Matt Kenseth, Greg Biffle don't get half the attention when they win or when they fall out of a race. I don't know how many times I've seen Jr with a bad run, and there's a 5 minute interview with him and yet someone who has a great run and ends up top 10 gets a 1 minute interview or nothing at all.

This hate comes from everytime he takes the lead the broadcasters have to talk about Jr Nation standing up. It comes from the endless statement, "As Jr goes, so goes Nascar." It comes from the statements from the media, "What's best for Nascar is their most popular driver getting on track." Basically, the hate comes from the media shoving Jr down people's throats. Does he get the attention people make it out to be? Absolutely. When he fails he gets attention, meanwhile drivers who are usually in the top 10 year in and year out such as Clint Bowyer, Jeff Burton, Matt Kenseth, Greg Biffle don't get half the attention when they win or when they fall out of a race. I don't know how many times I've seen Jr with a bad run, and there's a 5 minute interview with him and yet someone who has a great run and ends up top 10 gets a 1 minute interview or nothing at all.

Could not put it any better Oddball. Look at all the commercials and marketing Dale Jr. gets too. He may not be the worst driver out there but he is not a star and not an elite driver. For all the hype he gets you would assume he is one of the best and truthfully he is mediocre at best. I'm also sick of excuses, first it was his crew, than it was DEI was being mismanaged by his stepmother, than it was his crew chief again and than it was bad luck. I mean come on if he is to have the attention he gets anything less than qualifying for the Chase makes him a FAILURE.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

When he fails he gets attention, meanwhile drivers who are usually in the top 10 year in and year out such as Clint Bowyer, Jeff Burton, Matt Kenseth, Greg Biffle don't get half the attention when they win or when they fall out of a race. I don't know how many times I've seen Jr with a bad run, and there's a 5 minute interview with him and yet someone who has a great run and ends up top 10 gets a 1 minute interview or nothing at all.

I'm sorry, but HOW is this different from any other sport on Earth? There are favorites in every single sport that a majority of people love to see do great and absolutely hate to see fail. Why does that matter so much in the big scheme of things? If every sports can have "America's team", why can't there be "America's driver"? It doesn't bother me as a NASCAR fan, honestly.

Besides, he's a Wrangler™ guy.

Look at all the commercials and marketing Dale Jr. gets too. He may not be the worst driver out there but he is not a star and not an elite driver. For all the hype he gets you would assume he is one of the best and truthfully he is mediocre at best.

Why aren't you making the same complaints about Michael Waltrip? He does a ton of commercials. Or Carl Edwards?

BB52Big.jpg

Look at all the commercials and marketing Dale Jr. gets too. He may not be the worst driver out there but he is not a star and not an elite driver. For all the hype he gets you would assume he is one of the best and truthfully he is mediocre at best.

Why aren't you making the same complaints about Michael Waltrip? He does a ton of commercials. Or Carl Edwards?

Waltrip has won two Daytona 500s and he was never consider an elite drive.

Carl Edwards has challenged for the Sprint Cup he makes the Chase every year.

I am not asking Jr to win the dang Sprint Cup I am just saying why is he never a factor for it. How many times has he even finished in the top 5 of the season standings. He has also won just one race since 2006.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Big crash just took out a lot of the contenders. Gordon, Johnson, Kenneth, Martin also Kevin Harvick blew an engine.

Going to see a lot of new blood running at the finish.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Waltrip has won two Daytona 500s and he was never consider an elite drive.

Carl Edwards has challenged for the Sprint Cup he makes the Chase every year.

I am not asking Jr to win the dang Sprint Cup I am just saying why is he never a factor for it. How many times has he even finished in the top 5 of the season standings. He has also won just one race since 2006.

My point was that Jr.'s commercials have nothing to do with his status as a driver. You made it sound like he gets commercials because he's perceived as an elite driver. No one who knows a thing about NASCAR thinks of Jr. as "elite." He's popular. There's a difference.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived